• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Iron Man #1 1968 CGC SS Stan Lee Worth?
1 1

12 posts in this topic

Hello all, hoping someone can help me here - my friend has a copy of Iron Man #1 1968, CGC Signature Series 6.5 with Stan Lee's signature.  He wants to sell it to me for $800; I love Iron Man and used to collect a bunch of this series' comics but have no idea if this is a good price/investment or not.  From looking at Go Collect Comics and eBay, they seem to range in value from $620-750. 

Do you think I should buy this? Is this a good price/investment? Thoughts?

Thank you so much in advance!

Edited by AW177

4 minutes ago, AW177 said:

Hello all, hoping someone can help me here - my friend has a copy of Iron Man #1 1968, CGC Signature Series with Stan Lee's signature.  He wants to sell it to me for $800; I love Iron Man and used to collect a bunch of this series' comics but have no idea if this is a good price/investment or not.  From looking at Go Collect Comics and eBay, they seem to range in value from $620-750. 

Do you think I should buy this? Is this a good price/investment? Thoughts?

Thank you so much in advance!

It would help if you told us the grade . (shrug)

11 hours ago, AW177 said:

How much do you think I should ask for then?

Well, without seeing the book, it depends. Often, Stan's signature can be detrimental to the eye appeal of the book. The placement and neatness of the sig matters. Also, you did not state the Page Quality of the book ? White pages would be beneficial. CR/OW I would pass completely. Also, is the book nicely centered ? A crooked alignment or large white stripe on the spine(Back Cover showing from the front) matters. Are the staples centered and NOT rusty ? Etc.Etc.Etc. All this stuff matters. You may think you are getting a good deal on paper but later find out you bought a turd. Even if the book passes the sniff test on all the above, 800 is still too high. Your friend is asking top dollar + . Not a complete rip off but no bargain for a friend. (shrug)

I agree with Bomber-Bob.  I don't think $800 is unreasonable.  I've seen copies with universal grades of 5.0 to 7.0 sell for about $400-500.  Stan's signature will run you (to get yourself, if you can still get it, considering his health condition and availability recently) about $150. So, right there you're at $650.  And, your friend should make a few dollars in the process, or why even sell.  So yes, while $800 is not a bargain, he's definitely not ripping you off. Maybe counter with $700?

3 hours ago, shonjon said:

I agree with Bomber-Bob.  I don't think $800 is unreasonable.  I've seen copies with universal grades of 5.0 to 7.0 sell for about $400-500.  Stan's signature will run you (to get yourself, if you can still get it, considering his health condition and availability recently) about $150. So, right there you're at $650.  And, your friend should make a few dollars in the process, or why even sell.  So yes, while $800 is not a bargain, he's definitely not ripping you off. Maybe counter with $700?

I wouldn't pay anything above $50 of what tje comic is worth without Stan's sig. 150 is way too much to add to the value of the comic when his autograph value will drop like a fly after he passes away it is just too common

47 minutes ago, reddwarf666222 said:

I wouldn't pay anything above $50 of what tje comic is worth without Stan's sig. 150 is way too much to add to the value of the comic when his autograph value will drop like a fly after he passes away it is just too common

I don't think you can say that with certainty. The only person I can think of that is like Stan Lee is Walt Disney.  Disney was not a prolific signer, that I am aware of. But if he were, how many people would prefer an unsigned copy of WDC&S to a signed copy?  Certainly some, but not all, and possibly not the majority of people who will ever be in the market for comics in perpetuity.  Thoughts like that keep me from believing the absolute that Stan signed stuff is going to "drop like a fly."

4 hours ago, reddwarf666222 said:

Amen.   Watch ebay get flooded the day when he passes, and then watch 3 months after that when prices get slashed in $100. 

If it’s a nice copy, you can inspect it in hand, and buy from someone you know, it’s not terrible.  Seeing it in person has value, no chance of fraud or mail issues has value, extra time to enjoy it has value.  How much?  That’s up to the individual buyers and sellers.  

Investment id say not too much room to grow

but if it’s for your personal collection it’s not awful

On 4/12/2018 at 3:05 PM, seanfingh said:

I don't think you can say that with certainty. The only person I can think of that is like Stan Lee is Walt Disney.  Disney was not a prolific signer, that I am aware of. But if he were, how many people would prefer an unsigned copy of WDC&S to a signed copy?  Certainly some, but not all, and possibly not the majority of people who will ever be in the market for comics in perpetuity.  Thoughts like that keep me from believing the absolute that Stan signed stuff is going to "drop like a fly."

I think we will see a slight dip in the signature value upon his passing because market will flood.  Maybe 25% off or so after the flood starts.  Then it will go back up.  His signature is on everything now and can still be gotten.  That hasn’t hurt value yet.  While a market flood will create more supply than demand most likely, it will be temporary.