Iron Man #1 1968 CGC SS Stan Lee Worth?
1 1

12 posts in this topic

AW177   
  • 8 posts
Posted (edited)

Hello all, hoping someone can help me here - my friend has a copy of Iron Man #1 1968, CGC Signature Series 6.5 with Stan Lee's signature.  He wants to sell it to me for $800; I love Iron Man and used to collect a bunch of this series' comics but have no idea if this is a good price/investment or not.  From looking at Go Collect Comics and eBay, they seem to range in value from $620-750. 

Do you think I should buy this? Is this a good price/investment? Thoughts?

Thank you so much in advance!

Edited by AW177

Bomber-Bob   
  • 9,676 posts
4 minutes ago, AW177 said:

Hello all, hoping someone can help me here - my friend has a copy of Iron Man #1 1968, CGC Signature Series with Stan Lee's signature.  He wants to sell it to me for $800; I love Iron Man and used to collect a bunch of this series' comics but have no idea if this is a good price/investment or not.  From looking at Go Collect Comics and eBay, they seem to range in value from $620-750. 

Do you think I should buy this? Is this a good price/investment? Thoughts?

Thank you so much in advance!

It would help if you told us the grade . (shrug)

AW177   
  • 8 posts
1 hour ago, Bomber-Bob said:

It would help if you told us the grade . (shrug)

D'OH! Sorry! 6.5! O.o

Bomber-Bob   
  • 9,676 posts
1 hour ago, AW177 said:

D'OH! Sorry! 6.5! O.o

800.00 is a little high. 

AW177   
  • 8 posts
6 hours ago, Bomber-Bob said:

800.00 is a little high. 

How much do you think I should ask for then?

Bomber-Bob   
  • 9,676 posts
11 hours ago, AW177 said:

How much do you think I should ask for then?

Well, without seeing the book, it depends. Often, Stan's signature can be detrimental to the eye appeal of the book. The placement and neatness of the sig matters. Also, you did not state the Page Quality of the book ? White pages would be beneficial. CR/OW I would pass completely. Also, is the book nicely centered ? A crooked alignment or large white stripe on the spine(Back Cover showing from the front) matters. Are the staples centered and NOT rusty ? Etc.Etc.Etc. All this stuff matters. You may think you are getting a good deal on paper but later find out you bought a turd. Even if the book passes the sniff test on all the above, 800 is still too high. Your friend is asking top dollar + . Not a complete rip off but no bargain for a friend. (shrug)

shonjon   
  • 1 post

I agree with Bomber-Bob.  I don't think $800 is unreasonable.  I've seen copies with universal grades of 5.0 to 7.0 sell for about $400-500.  Stan's signature will run you (to get yourself, if you can still get it, considering his health condition and availability recently) about $150. So, right there you're at $650.  And, your friend should make a few dollars in the process, or why even sell.  So yes, while $800 is not a bargain, he's definitely not ripping you off. Maybe counter with $700?

reddwarf666222   
  • 554 posts
3 hours ago, shonjon said:

I agree with Bomber-Bob.  I don't think $800 is unreasonable.  I've seen copies with universal grades of 5.0 to 7.0 sell for about $400-500.  Stan's signature will run you (to get yourself, if you can still get it, considering his health condition and availability recently) about $150. So, right there you're at $650.  And, your friend should make a few dollars in the process, or why even sell.  So yes, while $800 is not a bargain, he's definitely not ripping you off. Maybe counter with $700?

I wouldn't pay anything above $50 of what tje comic is worth without Stan's sig. 150 is way too much to add to the value of the comic when his autograph value will drop like a fly after he passes away it is just too common

seanfingh   
  • Member: Seasoned Veteran
  • 41,645 posts
47 minutes ago, reddwarf666222 said:

I wouldn't pay anything above $50 of what tje comic is worth without Stan's sig. 150 is way too much to add to the value of the comic when his autograph value will drop like a fly after he passes away it is just too common

I don't think you can say that with certainty. The only person I can think of that is like Stan Lee is Walt Disney.  Disney was not a prolific signer, that I am aware of. But if he were, how many people would prefer an unsigned copy of WDC&S to a signed copy?  Certainly some, but not all, and possibly not the majority of people who will ever be in the market for comics in perpetuity.  Thoughts like that keep me from believing the absolute that Stan signed stuff is going to "drop like a fly."

Mercury Man   
  • 871 posts
4 hours ago, reddwarf666222 said:

Amen.   Watch ebay get flooded the day when he passes, and then watch 3 months after that when prices get slashed in $100. 

revat   
  • Member: Seasoned Veteran
  • 17,049 posts

• We have unpaid interns to hold each slab on display.  Since light is bad for comics, they mostly sit in the dark.  Come to think of it, there's probably no good reason we make them hold the slabs above their heads.

If it’s a nice copy, you can inspect it in hand, and buy from someone you know, it’s not terrible.  Seeing it in person has value, no chance of fraud or mail issues has value, extra time to enjoy it has value.  How much?  That’s up to the individual buyers and sellers.  

Investment id say not too much room to grow

but if it’s for your personal collection it’s not awful

Drbearsec   
  • 549 posts
On 4/12/2018 at 3:05 PM, seanfingh said:

I don't think you can say that with certainty. The only person I can think of that is like Stan Lee is Walt Disney.  Disney was not a prolific signer, that I am aware of. But if he were, how many people would prefer an unsigned copy of WDC&S to a signed copy?  Certainly some, but not all, and possibly not the majority of people who will ever be in the market for comics in perpetuity.  Thoughts like that keep me from believing the absolute that Stan signed stuff is going to "drop like a fly."

I think we will see a slight dip in the signature value upon his passing because market will flood.  Maybe 25% off or so after the flood starts.  Then it will go back up.  His signature is on everything now and can still be gotten.  That hasn’t hurt value yet.  While a market flood will create more supply than demand most likely, it will be temporary.