• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The death of the run collector? I'm not so sure...
4 4

56 posts in this topic

13 hours ago, speedcake said:

Run collector here. Confirmed not ded 

I prefer to think of myself as amongst the living as well...., even if I'm on the downhill side...., :preach:

7 hours ago, SECollector said:

The cool thing with ASM is that there are SO many keys in the first issues so you virtually dont need to choose between going for the run or just for the keys :headbang:.

I'm sure more than a few people believe issues like the first Spider-Slayer, or first Princess Python are below them, and only want what other people want. :(

1 hour ago, FineCollector said:

I'm sure more than a few people believe issues like the first Spider-Slayer, or first Princess Python are below them, and only want what other people want. :(

For sure. But I get the same kick from 1st Spider-Mobile as I got from my AF15 lol.

SMCar.jpg

2 hours ago, oakman29 said:

What if I'm a run collector , AND a key collector?

:idea:

I don't think that is allowed (tsk)

Mods notified...., :sumo: 

On 21 March 2018 at 6:45 PM, FineCollector said:

That describes a very large group of pack-hunting movie speculators.

I'm waiting for The Big Wheel to be tipped for an appearance.

I love collecting runs. Most of mine just started by me liking a certain character e.g. she hulk moon knight & even magnus. Start off with a few then before u know it you have most of it done why buy a few in the run when you can have it all. Lol. But for the most part its the hunt for the books you love & how excited you finally are when u know u found a htf issue or the last few or one you needed.

On ‎3‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 1:32 PM, SuperBird said:

I am a run collector. Sadly I am a GA run collector, so only have, like, 1 run of 30 books...

First off, your run of 30 books is nothing to be sad about.  Didn't you just add an Action 31 to that run?  I would say (IMO) that 30 GA Actions is better than full runs of many modern, bronze, and even silver age books.  You should be proud of your collection.  You worked hard at it and should be happy for what you have accomplished.

On another note, however, I am a little confused by the title of this thread.  It refers to "run collectors", but then the OP seems to talk about owning every appearance of a character.  I think these are two different things.  For example, a person may collect every Action Comic, but have no interest in collecting many of the other titles that Superman is in.  They are still a "run collector", they are not an "every appearance collector".   Just my 2 cents.

3 minutes ago, Hudson said:

First off, your run of 30 books is nothing to be sad about.  Didn't you just add an Action 31 to that run?  I would say (IMO) that 30 GA Actions is better than full runs of many modern, bronze, and even silver age books.  You should be proud of your collection.  You worked hard at it and should be happy for what you have accomplished.

On another note, however, I am a little confused by the title of this thread.  It refers to "run collectors", but then the OP seems to talk about owning every appearance of a character.  I think these are two different things.  For example, a person may collect every Action Comic, but have no interest in collecting many of the other titles that Superman is in.  They are still a "run collector", they are not an "every appearance collector".   Just my 2 cents.

And then there are the genre or period collectors. My current addiction is Pre-Hero Marvels, but the real action seems to be in the GGA and PCH genres right now.

Then there's the Baker cover art collectors or skull cover collectors (cover theme) as well as Chesler or Fox (publisher) collectors.

Thanks to the massive quantity of material to be "classified" in our hobby, there's always an interesting way to slice it up for one's particular interests.

-bc

I agree; there seems to be some conflating of “run” and “completionist” collecting. 

I’d consider myself a run collector, probably always will be. As a kid one of my big frustrations was never being able to hit the comic racks on a regular basis, so seemed almost impossible to get consecutive issue. And even the comics I did get I never felt like I completely knew what was going on with the story because I was always missing issues. 

Laugh, but getting the first 6 issues of Captain Carrot and Atari Force felt like a major accomplishment as a kid. 

So now I guess I feel the need to make up for it. 

While everyone seems to be abandoning runs in favor of keys, it seems to be having the opposite effect on my; I’ve thought more than one of dumping comics altogether because it seems every z-grade character is a so-hot “key” right now. Makes putting together runs on so much stuff super expensive. 

I’ve been trying to find a work-around. Part of it is I’m trying to cut back on really high-grade “investment” condition and just focus on ‘nice looking reader’. 

The other part is avoiding anything with capes and long underwear. Sad, because the superhero genre is what’s always been a big part of the attraction of comics for me. Would love to finish my Silver Aquaman run, but every time I see the prices on those books I just shake my head. Hopefully there’ll be a correction. If not, just have to live without it. 

On the other hand, I’ve made some good progress on advancing my Gold Key Star Trek run, pretty close to finishing a nice - but not perfect - grade run of Micronauts. 

Just trying to find a way to keep comic collecting fun

Edited by Number 6

3 hours ago, Hudson said:

I was just joking around. ;)

3 hours ago, Hudson said:

Agreed.  I'm kinda keeping brown chickens and white chickens in the same enclosure, but the willingness to buy non-key issues is the commonality here.  Both completists and run collectors want similar things, as opposed to those collectors who only want the issue in a series with the highest price tag.