• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Why is there such a paucity of decent storage options for CGC slabs?

43 posts in this topic

CGC slabs have been around the better part of 20 years now.  Why are there no real holders for the slabs, either from CGC or in the after market?  I'm pretty sure I'm familiar with everything that is out there, which isn't much.  I would like to propose that CGC or a supply firm come up with either or both of the following:

1) A slab box much like PCGS and NGC coins and PSA cards have with specific slots for the slabs.  I would imagine a box holding about 10-20 such slabs and it needs to be made sturdy.  I figure this hard plastic box would probably retail for $30-40, maybe a bit more.

2) A plastic casket that is just barely bigger than the slab and can close and open easily.  It would be sort of a much better version of a top-loader type concoction for CGC slabs.  I would probably seal in mylites2 legal size and stick in these.

1 hour ago, FSF said:

CGC slabs have been around the better part of 20 years now.  Why are there no real holders for the slabs, either from CGC or in the after market?  

Because there's no market for it? It's been 18 years and nothing. That should tell you something. 

Slabs present storage problems as it is an you want holders on top of that? I thought the mylar bags for slabs was bad enough. Good god, will this madness never end?

3 minutes ago, Jerkfro said:

Because there's no market for it? It's been 18 years and nothing. That should tell you something. 

Slabs present storage problems as it is an you want holders on top of that? I thought the mylar bags for slabs was bad enough. Good god, will this madness never end?

Wasn't there someone here a few years back selling rubber bands to put around your slabs?

2 minutes ago, letsgrumble said:

I keep my CGC'd books in polybags inside CGC boxes off the floor on a secured, industrial shelf.

I prefer using polybags over Mylar for CGC'd books.

Aren't you afraid the polybags will slowly destroy your slabs?

6 minutes ago, lizards2 said:
9 minutes ago, letsgrumble said:

I keep my CGC'd books in polybags inside CGC boxes off the floor on a secured, industrial shelf.

Not really, but maybe because I'm living in ignorance.

Should I be concerned?

1 minute ago, letsgrumble said:
8 minutes ago, lizards2 said:
11 minutes ago, letsgrumble said:

Should I be concerned?

You should not be able to sleep at night.

7 minutes ago, lizards2 said:
8 minutes ago, letsgrumble said:
16 minutes ago, lizards2 said:
19 minutes ago, letsgrumble said:

Should I be concerned?

You should not be able to sleep at night.

:fear:

1 hour ago, Ryan. said:

I dedicate one entire room to hold each of my slabs.

You need to build new walls about one foot away from the current walls.  That way you have a room that protects the room that protects the slab. 

20 minutes ago, FSF said:

Fellas, I'm not sensing much in the way of a spirit of cooperation here.  

Your 2nd proposal makes it difficult to determine if you're being serious or not.  Look at it from this point of view:

The comic is what needs to be protected.  So CGC made a case for it.

Some people find it very important to protect the case, so people made mylar bags for the case, which many people see as overkill.  Why protect that thing that is protecting the thing that needs protecting?

Now you're suggesting an additional case to go around the 2nd level of protection?  You want to protect the thing that's protecting the thing that's protecting the thing that needs protecting. 

When you write it out, it sounds a little absurd...hence the absurd responses. 

Personally, I don't think a thin mylar is much protection for the case and I would like to be able to store the cases laying flat, ideally in as compact as possible box like format.  I don't much care for the graded box route.  I think choices in situations like this are a good thing.

12 hours ago, 90sChild said:

How about a UV film to put over the slab, to prevent them from being color bleached by sitting under the flourescent lights (in a store where it sits too long).  Seems like it would be useful.

I use these for some of my display books.

https://www.bagsunlimited.com/product/7945/graded-comic-slab-protector

12 hours ago, FSF said:

Personally, I don't think a thin mylar is much protection for the case and I would like to be able to store the cases laying flat, ideally in as compact as possible box like format.  I don't much care for the graded box route.  I think choices in situations like this are a good thing.

Turn the box on its side.

When I eventually have some of my books slabbed, I'll just use cedar boxes like I already have, but I'll router out notches so that the slabs slide in and stay in place.

But as I get older I think the next boxes I make will be shorter than the 36" lengths I made back 30 or so years ago. Darn things are a bit too heavy nowadays (after I scanned and tallied a bit of my Disney books I counted 425 in one cedar long box). Most books are protected by mylar but even those without - I do not see any difference after 35 years of touching cedar. So I do not think that slabs in cedar will do too bad, at least for me anyways.

16 hours ago, Ryan. said:

I dedicate one entire room to hold each of my slabs.

we have unpaid interns to hold each slab on display.  Of course, since light is bad for comics, they mostly sit in the dark.  Come to think of it, there's probably no good reason we make them hold the slabs above their heads.

3 minutes ago, revat said:

we have unpaid interns to hold each slab on display.  Of course, since light is bad for comics, they mostly sit in the dark.  Come to think of it, there's probably no good reason we make them hold the slabs above their heads.

What do you wrap the interns in? 

Edited by Buzzetta