• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Why is there such a paucity of decent storage options for CGC slabs?

43 posts in this topic

3 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:
6 minutes ago, revat said:

we have unpaid interns to hold each slab on display.  Of course, since light is bad for comics, they mostly sit in the dark.  Come to think of it, there's probably no good reason we make them hold the slabs above their heads.

What do you wrap the interns in? 

the safety of our interns is one of our highest priority.  We don't want anyone to assault them and take the comics.  So we wrap them in barbed wire.

I've been having to cut my CGC boxes down to hold my GA/SA Mylite books in since I haven't been able to find the correct size short box, so I talked to the guy that supplies our shipping boxes at work to see if they could do a comic short box with the appropriate width to hold those books. The amount of money needed up front to put something like that into production was maybe $10k+, so it's likely  there's a huge investment (and risk) to be considered if someone were to try to manufacture what you're suggesting.

I just crack the books out of the slabs I keep - storage problems solved.  The dump stores the broken slabs for me.

Edited by lizards2

56 minutes ago, Martin Sinescu said:

I've been having to cut my CGC boxes down to hold my GA/SA Mylite books in since I haven't been able to find the correct size short box, so I talked to the guy that supplies our shipping boxes at work to see if they could do a comic short box with the appropriate width to hold those books. The amount of money needed up front to put something like that into production was maybe $10k+, so it's likely  there's a huge investment (and risk) to be considered if someone were to try to manufacture what you're suggesting.

I use mag boxes.

1 hour ago, Martin Sinescu said:

Just recently, I started storing some of my slabs this way. Horizontal, on their side, spine down as recommended by many here, in a short box. It seems to work great !

I own 13 slabs total. Not that anyone needs to know or is asking, it's just after reading this thread in its entirety that I made a mental note to add up the total slabs I own.

I own 13 slabs. 

Edited by NoMan

19 hours ago, porcupine48 said:

Wasn't there someone here a few years back selling rubber bands to put around your slabs?

Oh yeah. Forgot about that. I'm going to encase my slabs in carbonite.

6 hours ago, Martin Sinescu said:

I've been having to cut my CGC boxes down to hold my GA/SA Mylite books in since I haven't been able to find the correct size short box, 

I’m having to do the same :p

1 hour ago, FineCollector said:

I'm still waiting for someone to explain what "paucity" means...

I believe it is part of the joke.

On 3/18/2018 at 8:02 PM, porcupine48 said:

Wasn't there someone here a few years back selling rubber bands to put around your slabs?

Slab Pro! The guy would send you one for free if you asked, just to try it out. I got one, and have to admit it was pretty nice for a big rubber band. It was molded to fit the CGC cases, a slit on the top for the label to show through, nice thick corners. Like a bumper for your book. It was nice if I was travelling with a slab and didn't want it bouncing around in a box or case, if I was concerned about the corners of the slab cracking, etc. I never bought more because I'm not really much of a slab guy when it comes to my personal collection, but I thought it had some practical use.

Yep, I've got one of those around here somewhere too.  Seems like there was another option similar to it as well.  If you think there is a need for something new, go out and make a template and make it.  My local comic shop just made a new CGC measurement box that is stronger than the ones I've seen.  He saw a need and filled it.

3 hours ago, F For Fake said:

Slab Pro! The guy would send you one for free if you asked, just to try it out. I got one, and have to admit it was pretty nice for a big rubber band. It was molded to fit the CGC cases, a slit on the top for the label to show through, nice thick corners. Like a bumper for your book. It was nice if I was travelling with a slab and didn't want it bouncing around in a box or case, if I was concerned about the corners of the slab cracking, etc. I never bought more because I'm not really much of a slab guy when it comes to my personal collection, but I thought it had some practical use.

I was sure the rubber band comment was a joke. Huh.