• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Art Prices
3 3

257 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, JadeGiant said:

good grief - insert any artist that is well known for drawing super heroes and this fits. SMH

Yes it does.   Which is precisely the point.    If someone else had drawn replaced Romita for all those issues of Spidey, Spidey 100 would be just as valuable.    And if he had drawn the cover a little better, or a little worse, it would have still hammered for pretty much the same amount.

Edited by Bronty

good grief - insert any artist that is well known for drawing super heroes and this fits. SMH

exactly bronty's views make no logical sense 

8 minutes ago, Bronty said:And if he had worked on, I dunno, film storyboards or soap advertisements instead of marvel comics, you (we!) wouldn't even know his name let alone think he was magnificent."

6 minutes ago, Bronty said:

Yes it does.   Which is precisely the point.    If someone else had drawn replaced Romita for all those issues of Spidey, Spidey 100 would be just as valuable.    And if he had drawn the cover a little better, or a little worse, it would have still hammered for pretty much the same amount.

I DO NOT agree ... but each to their own. 

Edited by JadeGiant

6 minutes ago, J.Sid said:

McFarlane certainly deserves to be "highly-valued". But for a short while his stuff was the "highest-valued" american comic art.

This!

if I had a choice between a very nice McSpidey page for $30K or comparable Kirby FF page for the same price, well, I wouldn’t even give the Kirby page any consideration.  

Just now, JadeGiant said:

I DO NOT agree

You may not agree but the market does. It doesn't care who drew ASM 100 any more than it cared who drew the Hulk 180 last page. About $1 of that final hammer can be attributed to Trimpe.

7 minutes ago, Bronty said:

Sorry, but that is without a doubt the most incorrect statement you’ve made on the boards.

1 minute ago, Bronty said:

No it does not. If you had a lesser artist after Ditko,  Spiderman may have dropped in sales. May have been canceled who knows?

Romita version became the standard popularized version because his "take" on the character made the sales climb higher than at any point in the Ditko run. (not knocking Ditko here at all, i loved his run)

But to say that if you put any artist on that spiderman title it would be a hit regardless? No it would not be .

Bronty i am sorry but your argument holds no logical grounds at all. 

TO quote Mary Jane "Face it Tiger you just don't appreciate JOHN ROMITA art !"

6 minutes ago, vodou said:

You may not agree but the market does. It doesn't care who drew ASM 100 any more than it cared who drew the Hulk 180 last page. About $1 of that final hammer can be attributed to Trimpe.

conjecture, IMHO

conjecture, IMHO

The Don Heck Marvel trajectory proves it. Only when Kirby and the other artists that preceded him on hot titles got too expensive, relative to Heck that followed them, did Heck prices start moving up. To catch up, to close the ratio gap. I've yet to meet the collector that wants Heck for Heck. He's a poor man's substitute for somebody else (that's earlier, better, and most importantly much more expensive). Unless you go back to his pre-Marvel horror. That's a different matter.

Burkey buying Romita in lieu of (overpriced relatively speaking) Ditko was the same case. And that's how clunky Ross Andru ASM got "hot", the Romita market closed the gap on Ditko. One could make this point using so many examples, it's your basic rising tide lifts all boats situation.

Where's all the heat for non-Trimpe Hulk? I mean since Trimpe is so awesome as an artist in his own right 'n all...yeah?!

10 minutes ago, MarvelComicsArt said:

No it does not. If you had a lesser artist after Ditko,  Spiderman may have dropped in sales. May have been canceled who knows?

Romita version became the standard popularized version because his "take" on the character made the sales climb higher than at any point in the Ditko run. (not knocking Ditko here at all, i loved his run)

But to say that if you put any artist on that spiderman title it would be a hit regardless? No it would not be .

I love ya, because I can see the Marvel fan in everything you type, even your username.

But it also kinda makes me barf ;) because you can't see past your love of Marvel.  

Just now, vodou said:

Where's all the heat for non-Trimpe Hulk? I mean since Trimpe is so awesome as an artist in his own right 'n all...yeah?!

And where are the six figure prices for Charlton Ditko?    Oh yeah, not spiderman, not marvel and therefore 5-10% of the value.

And i love ya back! lol Bronty

But come on , seriously, one day soon i will make you see the light on the glory that is John Romita ! And all of his majestic good girl art glory!

3 minutes ago, Bronty said:

I love ya, because I can see the Marvel fan in everything you type, even your username.

But it also kinda makes me barf ;) because you can't see past your love of Marvel.  

Just now, Bronty said:

And where are the six figure prices for Charlton Ditko?    Oh yeah, not spiderman, not marvel and therefore 5-10% of the value.

I think maybe his Captain Atom covers might have hit $100k*, there is some love for those, but that's a big exception stretch.

*or maybe I just saw one offered at that?

55 minutes ago, PhilipB2k17 said:

It checks a ton of boxes that may not hold up over time.

1. Spider-Man? Probably holds up.

2. Main Spidey Title? Holds up

3. Issue #100? OK. probably holds up.

4. Artistic value? Nope.

5. Romita Sr? Not gonna be getting peak prices in 10-15 years as that group of collectors ages out of the hobby.

How much of a premium do people think was paid because it was issue 100?  What if it had been 93?  Would it still bring close to what it brought?

Edited by pemart1966

4 minutes ago, vodou said:

I think maybe his Captain Atom covers might have hit $100k*, there is some love for those, but that's a big exception stretch.

*or maybe I just saw one offered at that?

Pretty sure that was an ask, but even if it was a sale price, its still a tiny fraction of what a prime ditko ASM cover would be.     Mandel's ASM 11 cover would blow by the ASM 100 result IMO

Edited by Bronty

31 minutes ago, vodou said:

Unfortunately this gem is not John Romita Sr on Amazing Spider-Man. And that's why $400 is never going to happen lol

https://www.ebay.com/itm/STAN-WOCH-SIGNED-AIRBOY-5-ORIGINAL-COMIC-ART/222603102040?hash=item33d42dc758:g:eZoAAOSw575ZhOOZ

Thus proving Bronty's point while not taking anything away from either Romita or Woch.

Someone must have disagreed with you . . . because it happened. hm

7 minutes ago, Bronty said:

Pretty sure that was an ask, but even if it was a sale price, its still a tiny fraction of what a prime ditko ASM cover would be.     Mandel's ASM 11 cover would blow by the ASM 100 result IMO

Anyone have a photo of this?

33 minutes ago, MarvelComicsArt said:

And what I would say to you is... you love Marvel...  you love Romita... own it.    Realize you love it because of what the whole package was - the character, the stories, the time in your life.   The actual art was 5% of the equation.   Realize that.   And own it.    Some of the art I have is the same way.    But don't let yourself think he was frickin' Michelangelo because he drew a book you read when you were 12.

Edited by Bronty