• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Prelim Cover prices/feelings
1 1

50 posts in this topic

I love prelims and have a bunch in my collection from a variety of artists, they're typically dynamic and capture the creative spark and all for a fraction of the cost of the final piece so you get a lot of bang for your buck. 

Here's a Tim Sale sketchbook cover: 

timsale.thumb.jpeg.b35404d08f325c7d02997dcaa4b5ddaa.jpeg

An Aaron Lopresti Wonder Woman cover (vol 3 #23): 

lopresti.thumb.jpeg.09e3ba1fab3c91fa6a657065e672ba51.jpeg

A Jim Davis Garfield prelim: 

garfield.thumb.jpg.5846d9aed4c47c87b57b5ea01f297397.jpg

And a John Buscema Conan illustration that was an alternative layout for a European convention program cover: 

IMG_1884.thumb.jpg.601a371f10bfab871627c9f4f31b82ed.jpg

I personally think all of the Liefeld art marked as “prelim” from the 90s is gold. Most collectors don’t understand his process during this time. 

During the 90s Rob used pencils on very smaller thin paper format which he would then Xerox to enlarge. From here, either he or Marat Mychaels (most of the time) would ink over the enlarge facsimile. These smaller examples are the original pencils for the published pages.  

For more information straight from Rob's mouth about his process during this time check out the following Robservations podcasts at the specified time stamps. These are much more than "prelims". 

The Making of Deadpool part 2 - 46:30

The Making of Deadpool part 3 - 52:00; 1:09:00

Pre lims can be a lot of fun.. and a much more affordable way to collect an artist.. sometimes even more affordable than commissions. The issues with pricing prelims is they vary wildly not only quality  wise but size finish etc so to try to tag an arbitrary % to buying them is tough. Here are a couple pieces I recently picked up from Alan Davis.. a “rough” and a “prelim” they are both on letter size paper.. and cost (for both) maybe 5% of what the cover would cost and maybe 20% of a full figure pencil commission would cost: 

Alan Davis Wolverine Panini coverPre lim 1.jpeg

Wolverine Panini Cover prelim 2 ALan davis.jpeg

IMG_7394.jpeg