• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CCS quick press- who has used this service & results?

18 posts in this topic

I know results may vary, but for what it's worth, I submitted via CCS fast track back in December.  FT was slated at 20 business days, but my books spent only 11 business days at CCS.  Maybe regular modern will go through in less than the posted 56 day estimate.  Or maybe I got lucky since December/January was relatively quiet as far as cons go.

You can also refer to this thread for slightly more updated turnaround times.

38 minutes ago, btaing said:

Full press is taking forever at the moment. Has anybody ever used their quick press service and if so how were the results?

I used it for some books and couldn't be happier, a signed book with ball-point grooves as well as some ncb creases came out a 9.6 for example.

I'm new to having books processed and graded but I'm trying different pressers to compare results. My first batch went to a company for pressing and then directly on to CGC and I received two 9.8s out of 15 books. My last batch I sent to CCS for a Quick Press and I received seven 9.8s. Now I know this isn't a completely fair comparison because they weren't the same books but that being said these were mostly all books I bought new in the 80s and immediately bagged and boarded so they were all of very similar quality. From what I can tell, if you follow the guidelines for a Quick Press and send books that just need to be freshened up then Quick Press does well. Wow, I guess I could have just said "I'm happy with the Quick Press".

On 3/19/2018 at 9:16 AM, Sdmeyer11 said:

I'm new to having books processed and graded but I'm trying different pressers to compare results. My first batch went to a company for pressing and then directly on to CGC and I received two 9.8s out of 15 books. My last batch I sent to CCS for a Quick Press and I received seven 9.8s. Now I know this isn't a completely fair comparison because they weren't the same books but that being said these were mostly all books I bought new in the 80s and immediately bagged and boarded so they were all of very similar quality. From what I can tell, if you follow the guidelines for a Quick Press and send books that just need to be freshened up then Quick Press does well. Wow, I guess I could have just said "I'm happy with the Quick Press".

Did you just compare pressers ability to amount of 9.8's you got?  Wow just wow.  lol

1 hour ago, Pirate said:

Did you just compare pressers ability to amount of 9.8's you got?  Wow just wow.  lol

Yep, as stated, I'm new and still learning the ropes. When I send a group of books to two different people that seem flawless (to me) I make the assumption that the batch with the better grades had better results from pressing. As I stated, I know it's not a fair comparison because they aren't the same books but as a beginner it was something to note. 

Thanks for helping out a new guy and providing constructive feedback to my post.

On 3/19/2018 at 8:16 AM, Sdmeyer11 said:

Unfortunately the definition of a Quick Press apparently varies by the company. You are not necessarily comparing apples to apples. Are you looking for quicker turnaround or a better outcome ? IMO, you get what you pay for. 

55 minutes ago, Bomber-Bob said:

Unfortunately the definition of a Quick Press apparently varies by the company. You are not necessarily comparing apples to apples. Are you looking for quicker turnaround or a better outcome ? IMO, you get what you pay for. 

Actually, I'm comparing a full press from an outside company with a Quick Press by CCS. I had much better luck with the Quick Press at CCS. I know apples and oranges...or maybe apples and Fords. I guess I was better off just saying I was very happy with the CCS Quick Press.

2 hours ago, Sdmeyer11 said:

Actually, I'm comparing a full press from an outside company with a Quick Press by CCS. I had much better luck with the Quick Press at CCS. I know apples and oranges...or maybe apples and Fords. I guess I was better off just saying I was very happy with the CCS Quick Press.

I appreciate your input, and you're right...too many variables to really mean much, but an observation none-the-less! (thumbsu

I've only used someone outside of CCS once, my first press job actually...and his results were better than when using CCS. There are also rumors about grading leniency when using CCS, but again...totally unfounded. (shrug)

5 minutes ago, Callaway29 said:

I appreciate your input, and you're right...too many variables to really mean much, but an observation none-the-less! (thumbsu

I've only used someone outside of CCS once, my first press job actually...and his results were better than when using CCS. There are also rumors about grading leniency when using CCS, but again...totally unfounded. (shrug)

I've also heard the argument that when going with CCS there is less time from press to grading and one less time the book has to be packed, shipped and handled in general. Who knows, I'm trying multiple pressers...including taking a crack at it myself for basic presses. Anything too involved will go to the pros.

5 minutes ago, Sdmeyer11 said:

I've also heard the argument that when going with CCS there is less time from press to grading and one less time the book has to be packed, shipped and handled in general. Who knows, I'm trying multiple pressers...including taking a crack at it myself for basic presses. Anything too involved will go to the pros.

Are you saying getting a Modern pressed and then graded is quicker than just getting it graded?

20 minutes ago, Sdmeyer11 said:

I've also heard the argument that when going with CCS there is less time from press to grading and one less time the book has to be packed, shipped and handled in general. 

That is my argument from another thread and I stand by those statements. Getting it quickly from the press to the graders can make a difference and the less handling the better.

12 hours ago, ygogolak said:

Are you saying getting a Modern pressed and then graded is quicker than just getting it graded?

No, I'm saying it's quicker for the book to get handed off from CCS to CGC (after pressing) than a 3rd party grader to CGC and there is less handling of the book from the time of press until it is graded.

12 hours ago, Bomber-Bob said:

That is my argument from another thread and I stand by those statements. Getting it quickly from the press to the graders can make a difference and the less handling the better.

Ahh...that's right. Couldn't remember who said that. Makes perfect sense to me...and it obviously stuck with me. :)

Quick question that might be a little off topic: if I'm sending comics to CCS/CGC for quick press/grading that are (I've been told) file copies, how do I make sure this notation ends up on the CGC label? Include the File Copy info on the submission form and cross my fingers? Or will CGC require further proof/provenance before adding this notation?