• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Black Hole - where is all the artwork
1 1

20 posts in this topic

Folks,

I have the following question. 

There has been tons of prime material over the last couple of years. All sold at auctions but none ever surfaced  since it sold, meaning for example on CAF.

What are your thoughts on this.

1 hour ago, wurstisart said:

Folks,

There has been tons of prime material over the last couple of years. All sold at auctions but none ever surfaced  since it sold, meaning for example on CAF.

Well, this will be a short thread. :roflmao:

What makes most sense to me is that not every one is interested in sharing or showing off. I have other collectibles besides OA (I'm sure we all do) that is pretty cool or unique but I have no desire to post them anywhere or receive kudos for them. I imagine it's likely a similar thing to others.

"It belongs in a museum," I want to shout.  

It's a shame, because as a fan, I would love to see some of this great art, even though I'll never own it.  

I do think another issue, though, is people don't want to be pestered to sell.  There have been times on caf I've written the "Please sell me" message and then deleted it because I just thought the owner doesn't want to deal with that.  

Ok - and once I sent one because I couldn't help myself.  

Another thought for where it might have gone is the "Wall Street Investor types" that started coming into the hobby only to build an "investment portfolio" of art like stocks and bonds and aren't interested in showing off what they have. I believe Art Rep & dealer Spencer Beck announced a couple years ago that he was managing just such an endeavor for investors, IIRC. He announced it on the Comicart-L list I believe, and maybe here? So some of the really prime stuff might just be in a safe or vault somewhere like bond certificates or something. Sad thought, but seems likely. Also, I believe these types of "investors" are a contributing factor in the prices soaring so much in recent years. 

And then like others mention, security concerns are a factor for the bigger collectors. I know a few who only put up so much of their collection for various reasons, but wanting to avoid drawing too much attention is a common reason I have been given.

4 hours ago, SquareChaos said:

I read the title... and thought the latter, then I read the thread, and thought the former.

Honestly I didn’t even know there is a book called black hole.

What i meant is, their is tons and tons of prime art coming to market and only a fraction shows up officially under collectors.

13 hours ago, wurstisart said:

Folks,

I think a lot of it actually has surfaced - on CAF, on dealer sites/inventory, recycled again at auction, and/or popped up with other collectors and shared offline. 

I believe that I know where a lot of the art has ended up, but, don't want to kick the hornet's nest and decline to comment further, either on or off the record (re: do not PM me to ask). 

1 hour ago, delekkerste said:

I think a lot of it actually has surfaced - on CAF, on dealer sites/inventory, recycled again at auction, and/or popped up with other collectors and shared offline. 

I believe that I know where a lot of the art has ended up, but, don't want to kick the hornet's nest and decline to comment further, either on or off the record (re: do not PM me to ask). 

That's a cool line. 

3 hours ago, delekkerste said:

So its the cabal! I knew it.:devil:

24 minutes ago, PhilipB2k17 said:

In order to figure out whether prime material is in a "black hole" collection, you have to know whether a lot of prime material still exists.

OP was specifically asking about prime material that's already run through auction houses...so it's 'known' already. But present whereabouts, not necessarily public.

14 minutes ago, vodou said:

Your loss!

It's fun and Charles Burns...his art is something else too.

635825946688307987805811681_Black-Hole-b

And this came out late last year:

GA3053.jpg

Fantagraphics-Studio-Edition-Black-Hole-

and a lucky SOB on CAF has this:

blackhole.JPG

Um, I guess I'm a bit of a fan ;)

Awesome, this is what I was actually hoping to see when I opened the thread. Beautiful stuff.