• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Jim Lee commission prices (WAS Lake Como Comic Art Festival 20-22 April)
4 4

317 posts in this topic

15 hours ago, MagnusX said:

At this point Jim Lee
feel more like an update version of Neal Adams
greedy asking pricing.

And I am not surprise
I have a conversation with (*)
Lee was asking to charge $ 5,000.00
for a sketch in a Dark Knight Blank Cover just because it was super ultra limited.

Lee know what he is doing.
He is milking the cow.

So its up to people if they want to buy...

I will say this:
If you have a kid,
don't pay for his kids...

I agree with every point you made.

That Neal Adams.  He see's his artwork being sold on Heritage for close to half a million dollars and thinks the artwork he produces now can get a tiny fraction of that.  Who does he think he is?!?!?  An older version of Jim Lee or something?  He's no Trimpe, that's for sure.

Asking for $5,000 is outrageous as he's only asking $4000 for the commission on blank covers and he's supplying the blank cover comic himself.  You can buy one already done on Albert's site right now for less than that.

Lee does know what he's doing.  He knows these blank cover DK3 blank covers will get put on ebay for a $7000 asking price and even more if they get slabbed.  Yes, there is one on ebay now.

He's pretty greedy too, looks like he wants to feed his own kids and leave nothing on the table for resellers to make money off it to feed their kids.    

If you have a kid, feed your kid and don't let them starve because you were counting on the ROI of blank sketch covers or commissions.  

Haven't we already agreed on this board that commissions are for fans only and you can't count on getting your money back out from them? 

So I agree, in the end it is up to people if they want to get a commission, or buy something he has already drawn, or buy nothing.  If no one wants a commission, is that supposed to teach him a lesson or something?  He'll just draw and feed his kids as he's always done.  It seemed to be working fine for 15 years before he offered to do commissions again just for this one specific show in Italy.  

Albert should be stripped of his Cabal card, he should have just offered this opportunity behind the scenes instead of opening this up to the public.  Some nonsense about being fair to everyone or something.  What does he think will happen when the situation can possibly only make 6 people in the world happy?    

On 3/23/2018 at 6:37 PM, stinkininkin said:

I wonder if I could charge ala pay per view live feed as I torch all my post Xmen Lee art? hm :idea::banana:

"all post X-Men art can go up in flames just means I couldn't care less about it, I'd never buy any Jim Lee art without your inks on it :x :tink:

19 hours ago, Marwai said:

I agree with every point you made.

That Neal Adams.  He see's his artwork being sold on Heritage for close to half a million dollars and thinks the artwork he produces now can get a tiny fraction of that.  Who does he think he is?!?!?  An older version of Jim Lee or something?  He's no Trimpe, that's for sure.

Asking for $5,000 is outrageous as he's only asking $4000 for the commission on blank covers and he's supplying the blank cover comic himself.  You can buy one already done on Albert's site right now for less than that.

Lee does know what he's doing.  He knows these blank cover DK3 blank covers will get put on ebay for a $7000 asking price and even more if they get slabbed.  Yes, there is one on ebay now.

He's pretty greedy too, looks like he wants to feed his own kids and leave nothing on the table for resellers to make money off it to feed their kids.    

If you have a kid, feed your kid and don't let them starve because you were counting on the ROI of blank sketch covers or commissions.  

Haven't we already agreed on this board that commissions are for fans only and you can't count on getting your money back out from them? 

So I agree, in the end it is up to people if they want to get a commission, or buy something he has already drawn, or buy nothing.  If no one wants a commission, is that supposed to teach him a lesson or something?  He'll just draw and feed his kids as he's always done.  It seemed to be working fine for 15 years before he offered to do commissions again just for this one specific show in Italy.  

Albert should be stripped of his Cabal card, he should have just offered this opportunity behind the scenes instead of opening this up to the public.  Some nonsense about being fair to everyone or something.  What does he think will happen when the situation can possibly only make 6 people in the world happy?    

Jim Lee doesn't need to feed his kids, he must want another car.  

I think Jim's a great artist but I don't have much desire to own anything by him since my collection is nostalgia fueled.  I was really tempted to get one of his DKIII covers which was pretty much the best thing that came from that endeavor. While I contemplated the price of those, someone else did not. I've only commissioned five artists total and knew going in I would never recoup the cost and I was good with that.

If anyone should reap the profits off the art it should be the creator of the art. So I don’t disagree with Lee marking it up to the highest level someone would possibly pay. Why do we begrudge an artist for doing what we as collectors routinely do - selling our art for the highest possible price?

If you went in to work and knew your boss would pay you double the amount of money that you are currently making... would you think, that is too much pay for what I am doing or would you take the money?

I think he simply decided to work smarter not harder.

On 25/03/2018 at 7:58 AM, gumbydarnit said:

If anyone should reap the profits off the art it should be the creator of the art.

In this case, yes, I agree with you and so you're 100% right that he can and should charge what he can, even if the price is a bit shocking.

I don't think the creator always should profit the most from the art though.   In this case yes since its brand new material.

If its older material where a dealer or a collector built or created the market for the art, arguably they are as or more important to the value of it.

On 3/25/2018 at 10:58 AM, gumbydarnit said:

If anyone should reap the profits off the art it should be the creator of the art. So I don’t disagree with Lee marking it up to the highest level someone would possibly pay. Why do we begrudge an artist for doing what we as collectors routinely do - selling our art for the highest possible price?

If you went in to work and knew your boss would pay you double the amount of money that you are currently making... would you think, that is too much pay for what I am doing or would you take the money?

I think he simply decided to work smarter not harder.

I think the more basic question is: "Why bother?" People sometimes think that a high price for a product demonstrates worth, so they buy it. But to the contrary, it just demonstrates product demand--now juiced by people who thought the high price meant high worth. 

I was reading recently how some restaurants are able to sell wine that people aren't buying--they raise the price. Diners assume the high price means it is terrific and spend the extra money. Honestly, you can get really good wine for under $15/bottle at the liquor store, so why bother blowing $150 (or more) for a bottle?

Jim Lee is an excellent artist, but to be candid, you can get better published pieces for those prices. Eventually, the prices of his work will settle down, at least relative to other artists. Then, have a field day. But for now, why bother?

I love Jim Lee art - but as @Rick2you2 said - a tiny headsketch for this price is a terrible value when you can get actual pages for that rate. The problem is that such a sketch is not really satisfying. Nothing personal or special about it.  If he does 1000 of those there would be no difference between them. The attraction for me of original art is uniqueness.  A side view headshot of Batman is the opposite of unique.  If it's $50-100 and you just want something - I get that, but better to go with something else if you are spending 1k or more.

All this sketch 'price bump' is doing is establishing a market for an art authentication service, just one opinion.  The fakes on ebay, these prices, only one direction to truly head to ensure 'authentic' art.  2.5c On that note... the Wonder Woman Imagine art on ebay at under 5k seems like a steal, no?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Just-Imagine-Stan-Lee-With-Jim-Lee-Creating-Wonder-Woman-DC-AD-ORIGINAL-ART/263572686656?hash=item3d5e280740:g:4qQAAOSwBOlaagaO

Edited by williamhlawson

6 hours ago, ESeffinga said:

Was looking at Albert's site this moring and saw that too.

Here's a wee snap of the pertinent info. Much bigger picture on Albert's site.

413839663.jpg

that is one tiny commission!

6 hours ago, ESeffinga said:

Was looking at Albert's site this moring and saw that too.

Here's a wee snap of the pertinent info. Much bigger picture on Albert's site.

413839663.jpg

Just now, Bronty said:

that is one tiny commission!

Not So!!!!! Here's a pic of Jim from the 90's. 

5ac4f8743fb84_jimleehands.jpg.e419436bbd301e858323f6aa06812170.jpg