• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Jim Lee commission prices (WAS Lake Como Comic Art Festival 20-22 April)
4 4

317 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, Bronty said:

I guess that's even smaller.   Trading card size.   Oy vey.

Actually I think its bigger. 8.5 x5.5  that pen in the Albert Moy  image is not That big.

Edited by Panelfan1

3 minutes ago, Panelfan1 said:

Actually I think its bigger. 8.5 x5.5  that pen in the am very image is not That big.

The ebay auction is larger and it's a bust shot, not a head shot. 

14 hours ago, BeholdersEye said:

My opinion on the $1,000 Jim Lee sketch is that it's far worst looking than what he used to do for fans for FREE who stood in line at conventions for him that were lucky enough to get a sketch.  It's also not a fair representation of his artistic talent and is very mediocre, to the degree he should be ashamed to charge for such lackluster quality.  I don't mind him charging $15k for a detailed nice piece, but as many artists have said to me in the past "I don't want to do quick sketches and have artwork with my name attached that isn't in line with the true quality of my capabilities floating out there"

I think Jim Lee should stick to being a DC executive, just sell his published artwork and do the free personalized fan sketches on a limited basis or at his discretion.  The whole thing that Albert Moy is representing is kinda tacky for a man of his (Jim Lee's) wealth and stature.  He doesn't need the money.  

I don’t know. If someone is willing to give me $15K for a drawing, I’d have the paper and pen out ready to roll. It is not his fault that people want to pay him a ridiculous price. Strike while the iron is hot. I totally get the collector frustration when something you might want is now out of reach but don’t begrudge an artist for his livelihood.

1 hour ago, Panelfan1 said:

Actually I think its bigger. 8.5 x5.5  that pen in the Albert Moy  image is not That big.

Ah ok I was looking at that holder on the ebay auction thinking it was a card holder, but its a comic holder.    yes the Moy image is very small.    

2 hours ago, Mr. Machismo said:

Example of a nearly completed 15k commission attached. Jim really does shine best with Scott’s inks. 

898D7CDB-4202-464E-B27A-A84308A97F91.jpeg

It's very nice. The background are far more detailed than I had imagined they would be. 

However, someone in one of the facebook groups said this was "cover quality", and posted links to the cost of Jim's covers for sale at the moment as proof.  If this is the finished product it is obviously not cover quality and Jim did not promise cover quality and I think over delivered on the limited backgrounds that were offered. 

It's very nice I am sure whomever was willing to pony up for the piece will be very happy with the results. 

Three different people have messaged me to tell me that during Jim Lee's live stream ( where he was drawing this piece ) he mentioned that this piece was created to be a limited print to be sold/given at the Convention and IS NOT one of the $15k commissions. 

Edited by comix4fun

Couldn't one of the art dealers here at least float the idea of 'sketch stamps' so the average fan can get an original?  I just love the sketch stamp idea...sorry, just can't get it out of my head.  Here's my $750 Alex Ross stamp, my $500 Jim Lee stamp, and the Murphy $10,000 edition (they say it's even better than Millers!) is on it's way!

13 minutes ago, williamhlawson said:

Couldn't one of the art dealers here at least float the idea of 'sketch stamps' so the average fan can get an original?  I just love the sketch stamp idea...sorry, just can't get it out of my head.  Here's my $750 Alex Ross stamp, my $500 Jim Lee stamp, and the Murphy $10,000 edition (they say it's even better than Millers!) is on it's way!

Gummed and perforated?

1 minute ago, Rick2you2 said:

Gummed and perforated?

Too many archival issues LOL...just stamp sized.  I said it in jest, but now I think it might actually work.  .3 mm pencil lead included!  I might be able to rebuild my old collection of artists that way, as they are out of reach mostly now.

3 hours ago, williamhlawson said:

Too many archival issues LOL...just stamp sized.  I said it in jest, but now I think it might actually work.  .3 mm pencil lead included!  I might be able to rebuild my old collection of artists that way, as they are out of reach mostly now.

I just have this vision of a little old Swiss watchmaker, magnifier over the eye, working on something the size of a quarter, while trying to pencil in the webbing on a Spider-Man costume...and then, he sneezes.

12 hours ago, comix4fun said:

It's very nice. The background are far more detailed than I had imagined they would be. 

However, someone in one of the facebook groups said this was "cover quality", and posted links to the cost of Jim's covers for sale at the moment as proof.  If this is the finished product it is obviously not cover quality and Jim did not promise cover quality and I think over delivered on the limited backgrounds that were offered. 

It's very nice I am sure whomever was willing to pony up for the piece will be very happy with the results. 

Three different people have messaged me to tell me that during Jim Lee's live stream ( where he was drawing this piece ) he mentioned that this piece was created to be a limited print to be sold/given at the Convention and IS NOT one of the $15k commissions. 

Fake news, I suppose :( 

It will be interesting to see what it auctions for in relation to the commissions. 

Edited by Mr. Machismo

On 4/6/2018 at 4:06 PM, JadeGiant said:

I don’t know. If someone is willing to give me $15K for a drawing, I’d have the paper and pen out ready to roll. It is not his fault that people want to pay him a ridiculous price. Strike while the iron is hot. I totally get the collector frustration when something you might want is now out of reach but don’t begrudge an artist for his livelihood.

I think for many, it clearly has nothing to do with your last sentence. And artists are clearly allowed to charge what they want, but obviously certain price points will cause discussion... I'm predicting certain price points may cause about... six+ pages of discussion.

15 hours ago, Mr. Machismo said:

Example of a nearly completed 15k commission attached. Jim really does shine best with Scott’s inks. 

15 hours ago, Mr. Machismo said:

So is it the Batman tax or the jim Lee tax?  Personally would like it more if it was wolverine. Or psylocke. Or maybe Elektra. Or maybe punisher . I love Jim Lee. Perhaps he could switch places with Quesada and do some marvel art again.:baiting:

50 minutes ago, pandemos said:

First, that wasn't a commission... second it's not even half complete.  That was about 4 hours in on an 8+ hour series of streams.

Notice the a few things on the actual finished image (IG cropped anyway)...

• The second leg is actually finished.
  • The background is actually there.
  • The dragon has teeth/gums.
  • It's raining.
  • The overall values have been balanced.
  • etc.

If you watch Jim Lee draw... he starts with abstracts, blobs, outlines.  Then he tightens it up, corrects values and then adds highlights.  Then re-touches everything.  It's not a Jim Lee piece until he's done with it.

34 - CKOYCLP.jpg

Edited by pandemos

5 hours ago, pandemos said:

Notice the a few things on the actual finished image (IG cropped anyway)...

• The second leg is actually finished.
  • The background is actually there.
  • The dragon has teeth/gums.
  • It's raining.
  • The overall values have been balanced.
  • etc.

If you watch Jim Lee draw... he starts with abstracts, blobs, outlines.  Then he tightens it up, corrects values and then adds highlights.  Then re-touches everything.  It's not a Jim Lee piece until he's done with it.

34 - CKOYCLP.jpg

Great looking piece, and I agree regarding how much more complete it is now, but it's a moot point given that it was originally posted as a Lake Como commission example, and it's not a commission at all, right?

Edited by comix4fun