• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Jim Lee commission prices (WAS Lake Como Comic Art Festival 20-22 April)
4 4

317 posts in this topic

34 minutes ago, comix4fun said:

Those don't look like "Single figure/limited background" pieces. 

Ahh missed that part totally. Maybe the new price is adjusted for inflation ? 

Edited by RICKYBOBBY

7 hours ago, RS88 said:

I’m with you Subby 

I am not. Yes, they are excellently drawn. But, there is other excellent work out there which, in my opinion, has more emotional impact—not because of the character setting but the flair the artist adds to the illustration work. Look at the feeling in the art from, say, Bruce Timm’s Naughty And Nice women or Tom Mandrake’s Spectre work, then look at the cost and compare it to the price for these commissions. I could see as much as $5,000 per piece, but not $ 15,000. 

Edited by Rick2you2

48 minutes ago, punisha19 said:

I think any one of us could argue that we’d prefer artist A over B for any amount of $, but I can assure you, the emotional impact with the 251 homage is unmatched.  

Also, Amazing piece, Subby!  Congrats.

I’m with you, too! Even outside the incredible rendering, the events and experiences coming out of the commission are beyond monetary valuation.   I would do this again in a heartbeat. 

22 hours ago, punisha19 said:

I think any one of us could argue that we’d prefer artist A over B for any amount of $, but I can assure you, the emotional impact with the 251 homage is unmatched.  

Also, Amazing piece, Subby!  Congrats.

I disagree. I suggest you take a look at the work by Jason Shawn Alexander at his website. This is a page he did from Spawn and it can be bought for $350:

Image of Spawn Original Art page 12, issue 282

This is an example of his commission rate at $1,680. That's a little over 1/10th the price:

Image of ORIGINAL COMMISSIONS

To say you want the experience of spending $15,000 for art is something, I guess, and what you bought is really nice, but at that price, I don't get it.

$15k for homages (er, tracings?) is a lot. No matter who's signature is on it.

Thanks First Upgrade for the Namor ref.

Here's the Wolverine:

image.png.1e014a6420f182e1ced2f02a001ff478.png

These are commissions, so I guess the commissioners asked for these images specifically?

Or just the character was specified and Jim chose what to quickly copy reference?

I totally get it.  Homage prices a fraction of the actual cover OA prices in Jim Lee's case.

Similar reason(s) why many folks like prelims, except with a homage, the detail is there.

For me, I'd consider if I could catch the artist in the same era as when the published OA was created. Bagley's Venom today, e.g., just ain't the same as in the Lethal Protector days.  Nor is Jim Lee's later Psylocke the early 90s Psylocke.

Happy for the collectors here.

Edited by exitmusicblue

3 hours ago, vodou said:

$15k for homages (er, tracings?) is a lot. No matter who's signature is on it.

Thanks First Upgrade for the Namor ref.

Here's the Wolverine:

image.png.1e014a6420f182e1ced2f02a001ff478.png

These are commissions, so I guess the commissioners asked for these images specifically?

Or just the character was specified and Jim chose what to quickly copy reference?

If you think Jim Lee printed a blueline of a classic Silvestri cover, then inked it and called it his own, you’ve got to re-assess your notions about Jim Lee.  If you look at the art side by side, you’ll see how different they are.  An homage to Marc, with his own spin on it.  Love/Like/Indifferent to/Hate his stuff, there’s no denying his place as an Icon and one of the most influential creators of all time....to even imply that it’s a copy or a tracing is insanely disrespectful to the 🐐.

Uh oh... much love for Lee, but any GOAT talk (about anyone for that matter) is when I disengage. lol

And personal experiences are lovely, yet subjective and not going to hold up well against our resident gadflies/taste arbiters.  Artists will treat well their best customers... 'tis the nature of commerce.

Enjoy regardless, gents !  Respect.

Edited by exitmusicblue

1 hour ago, punisha19 said:

it’s a copy

LOL. It's definitely a copy, that doesn't mean it has to be direct lightbox or blueline. You kids...it's all bluelines, as if that's the only way things happen.

MS did 99% of the (creativity) work here, Jim gave you cooler skulls and signed it. It would be nice to see an "after" as a nod to his former IMAGE-mate though. No?

Commissioner is happy, good enough, it's his $15k (gag!)