• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Jim Lee commission prices (WAS Lake Como Comic Art Festival 20-22 April)
4 4

317 posts in this topic

15 minutes ago, stinkininkin said:

Well, I make mistakes all the time and I just read (in this very thread) that the Submariner commissioner did NOT specify a recreation so at least part of my blather was supposition not supported by facts.  My apologies.  I knew that the Wolverine on the cross WAS specified, and I made assumptions, and we know where that leads.

2 minutes ago, Subby1938 said:

You are incorrect about Namor Hommage being asked for. Clearly you can’t read. He agreed to do NAMOR . That’s what Albert told me and then that was it . I came back on Sunday @ fanexpo and he had chosen on his own to do recreation . Thanks 

Well...then my comments remain something of a criticism of the process then, and maybe it's a huge dose of luck that Subby1938 was about the happiest fellow on earth to get that exact image recreated. If I'd been the commissioner, just sayin', it would've really gone the opposite direction. (But again, I can't imagine -my feelings for recreations being what they are and that I'm not a freshman to the hobby- that I wouldn't clarify before money changed hands and handshakes were done!)

Reading the CAF write-up, I'm wondering if maybe the commissioner's love of that exact image, bringing the print for signing, etc didn't result in that information being conveyed back to Albert/Jim somehow and Jim ran with it? Anybody know and willingly to confirm one way or the other? The timing is mighty coincidental if not the case.

2 minutes ago, vodou said:

Well...then my comments remain something of a criticism of the process then, and maybe it's a huge dose of luck that Subby1938 was about the happiest fellow on earth to get that exact image recreated. If I'd been the commissioner, just sayin', it would've really gone the opposite direction. (But again, I can't imagine -my feelings for recreations being what they are and that I'm not a freshman to the hobby- that I wouldn't clarify before money changed hands and handshakes were done!)

Reading the CAF write-up, I'm wondering if maybe the commissioner's love of that exact image, bringing the print for signing, etc didn't result in that information being conveyed back to Albert/Jim somehow and Jim ran with it? Anybody know and willingly to confirm one way or the other? The timing is mighty coincidental if not the case.

It’s possible I implanted the idea without saying a word . Honestly I think Jim loved that fact I asked for a weird character he once drew ages ago. So he took the opportunity to do this . Maybe he always wanted to. My communication with Jim was limited as the event ( signing and photo op was madness in Toronto on Saturday ) he couldn’t breath. So Lady Luck or a subliminal implant either way I scored for me 😜.

Just now, Subby1938 said:

It’s possible I implanted the idea without saying a word . Honestly I think Jim loved that fact I asked for a weird character he once drew ages ago. So he took the opportunity to do this . Maybe he always wanted to. My communication with Jim was limited as the event ( signing and photo op was madness in Toronto on Saturday ) he couldn’t breath. So Lady Luck or a subliminal implant either way I scored for me 😜.

Yeah, ya know I really get that. It's not that Scott's "original" is worth $20k or whatever...it's that it is not on the market. And being in Scott's hands from Day 1 is the very definition of closely held and not going anywhere (because cost basis = zero). The End. And if close enough is good enough, then GOOD ENOUGH! You got much more than you expected, and that's always a happy place for you (duh) but also the artist. I don't think any of them sets out to under-deliver or disappoint in any way, giving you something worth what you paid is probably the minimum hoped for not the max, etc...except when patience is a virue ;)

35 minutes ago, stinkininkin said:

Interestingly, while I have a fair amount of our Hush and Xmen art up on my CAF gallery (the stuff we are most known for) the window shoppers and tire kickers ask me about the availability of that Subby splash more than any other of our collaborations.  I don't think it's because Subby is more popular than Batman and Xmen, so I think its because there is something about it...

It is an incredible image and also a character not commonly done by the 2 of you. It is also a powerful pose of a very popular character.

1 hour ago, stinkininkin said:

Interestingly, while I have a fair amount of our Hush and Xmen art up on my CAF gallery (the stuff we are most known for) the window shoppers and tire kickers ask me about the availability of that Subby splash more than any other of our collaborations.  I don't think it's because Subby is more popular than Batman and Xmen, so I think its because there is something about it...

Coincidentally - the enquires, views, comments and adoration that I get out of everything in my gallery is the Jim Lee Commission I had done.  And it is no where near the most money I've paid for a piece.

5 hours ago, stinkininkin said:

I agree totally. In all my comics read on Marvels first hero I think this version captures Namor the absolute best . There is not a single piece that conveys emotion of our moody King quite like the Lee/ Williams masterpiece. I don’t think Scott is selling that anytime soon. Tells you something if the original owner wants it in his own personal collection

Edited by Subby1938

14 hours ago, stinkininkin said:

Some of the commission snark on this thread is pretty gross.  You guys are true buzz kills.  To the consigners, congrats and I know it was about the art and the experience, and not just the writing of a check.  This is a great, fun hobby.  How about we all try and remember that. 

I happen think charging $15k for a commission is a bad look, that's just my opinion, highly subjective and all. I know others share it, and many others don't, it is a topic of discussion but no one can call right or wrong... not objectively.

Having said that, I would never dump on people's commissions or experiences. I honestly wouldn't have been surprised to see this thread get moderated after some of the recent comments. I feel this is more in objective territory... don't be a jerk people.

8 minutes ago, SquareChaos said:

I happen think charging $15k for a commission is a bad look, that's just my opinion, highly subjective and all. I know others share it, and many others don't, it is a topic of discussion but no one can call right or wrong... not objectively.

Just out of curiosity, what are the highest rates charged by other artists for commissions? I have seen Sienkewitz paintings sell for $10,000 or less. Most commissions I have been quoted are under $2,500. 

Not to knock Lee's artwork, because this isn't one, but even if he is the best artist in comicdom, how does that rate compare with others?

8 minutes ago, Rick2you2 said:

Just out of curiosity, what are the highest rates charged by other artists for commissions? I have seen Sienkewitz paintings sell for $10,000 or less. Most commissions I have been quoted are under $2,500. 

Not to knock Lee's artwork, because this isn't one, but even if he is the best artist in comicdom, how does that rate compare with others?

I think whoever might be in that area isn't really doing commissions (examples: Steranko, Romita Sr., ...), they're either already filthy rich or too busy getting paid a lot doing pro work (or very much retired and/or not capable of actually producing work reflective of the quality that market level would expect...anymore). In that sense it is a rare opportunity to buy-in for an artist at that level. Now we can hear about all the exceptions that I've missed!

1 hour ago, Rick2you2 said:

I have engaged artists for $15,000 after Jim, in discussion with another for a 5 figure piece, and I know that to get Arthur Adams to do a piece is at least 15-20K.

What do you think an Alex Ross commission would cost?  My guess is even more.

1 hour ago, RS88 said:

I have engaged artists for $15,000 after Jim, in discussion with another for a 5 figure piece, and I know that to get Arthur Adams to do a piece is at least 15-20K.

What do you think an Alex Ross commission would cost?  My guess is even more.

I am on Art Adams' list for a 2 character and he quoted me far far less than $15k.

3 hours ago, SquareChaos said:

it's all relative, right?

I feel like I've seen Frank Miller illustrations/scribbles (don't think they were commissions) for $20-25k? You're getting a lot more for your money here.

28 minutes ago, Bird said:

I am on Art Adams' list for a 2 character and he quoted me far far less than $15k.

Yup, probably did.  But AA and his schedule is very fluid.  How long have you been on the list?

35 minutes ago, Bird said:

many many moons, but we have talked about it since

My humble (perhaps incorrect) thought that while you will likely have an honoured agreement - I do not believe if I would receive something in my collecting lifetime I could usher in below 15k from him.  But just my thoughts!

Another point of reflection was that this was the first opportunity in 15 years to get a commission from Jim Lee (Albert has stated as much) and who knows how long he will want to do them.

Being in the position of someone being declined with a bag of money for a commissions from artists I love - I didn’t want to miss a chance of a lifetime!

Edited by RS88

4 hours ago, Rick2you2 said:

Who cares . People need to get over it .