• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Jim Lee commission prices (WAS Lake Como Comic Art Festival 20-22 April)
4 4

317 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, vodou said:

In large part, the latest round of back n forth which I'm not interested in playing with, ends up at: you see the image as worth $ based on professionalism/competence and then the rest is "Jim Lee's signature" (= $15k - $).

I dunno, I think $ probably -in a blind taste test- is going to be about the same for most collectors that have been around for a few years. But "Jim Lee's signature" is going to be worth much more (to the point of even the whole $15k...making the art itself thus "free"!) to those born after 1980 (let's say) than those before. Shoot...John Byrne...you couldn't find anybody over the age of 25 in the early 1980s that could take his work seriously, his sales numbers -oh yes! but the art...no, not when put up against Kirby, Ditko, Eisner, Kane, Infantino, Foster, Ingels, blahblahblah. Same story. And look where we are today re: "them" vs Byrne. It all balances out. The older generation's heroes don't have to kill the newer generation's heroes to remain heroes. Or vice versa. They can all be heroes.

Vodou, this is arguably the single most positive thing I've heard you say on these here boards.  I applaud thee.

3 hours ago, Rick2you2 said:

Alexander will be a star.

He already is, quite well represented in the LA gallery scene for many years. Comics could be seen as sideline slumming (from "their" perspective, not mine, it's all good to me!) I'm not trying to one-up you here but I've been onto Jason Alexander since..oh heck, 2004 or so? Not sure where he'll land in the history books though, his fine art career seems to have stagnated a bit, and I'm not sure where he's going with comics...drawing other people's stuff not developing his own creator-owned material, which seems to be the path to the top the last decade or two.

1 hour ago, vodou said:

He already is, quite well represented in the LA gallery scene for many years. Comics could be seen as sideline slumming (from "their" perspective, not mine, it's all good to me!) I'm not trying to one-up you here but I've been onto Jason Alexander since..oh heck, 2004 or so? Not sure where he'll land in the history books though, his fine art career seems to have stagnated a bit, and I'm not sure where he's going with comics...drawing other people's stuff not developing his own creator-owned material, which seems to be the path to the top the last decade or two.

I was out of the hobby in 2004, so I’ll just have to stand on my record. 

While I understand what you are saying about creator owned material, it may end up burying good artists if their books don’t reach the right audience. I have been impressed with Ashley Witter’s skills and quality of work; but not so impressed with her book  Squorriors. 

2 hours ago, Rick2you2 said:

While I understand what you are saying about creator owned material, it may end up burying good artists if their books don’t reach the right audience. I have been impressed with Ashley Witter’s skills and quality of work; but not so impressed with her book  Squorriors. 

Well yeah they have to be good too :)

On 9/21/2019 at 2:00 PM, Rick2you2 said:

Alex, 

Before I go on, I think you got a bargain on your piece. You have almost 30 characters, plus background/foreground objects, plus a color version, all pulled together into a unified image that is cleverly done by a good artist. I think that is easily worth $3,700.

Bottom line, Alex, you did well and your money was well spent, IMO

But no, I don't see a justification for spending $15,000 for a commission by Lee (even though his work is excellent).

I should have pointed out that I got a friends and family discount. Asking was $5K. My main point is that commissions often lose a significant portion of their purchase price as soon as they are complete.

As to “justification for ... Jim Lee,” you provided it when you wrote “when a person really wants something, there is no such thing as overpaying.” That’s reality. It’s seldom about the image itself. It’s the total experience.

Edited by alxjhnsn

36 minutes ago, alxjhnsn said:

I should have pointed out that I got a friends and family discount. Asking was $5K. My main point is that commissions often lose a significant portion of their purchase price as soon as they are complete.

As to “justification for ... Jim Lee,” you provided it when you wrote “when a person really wants something, there is no such thing as overpaying.” That’s reality. It’s seldom about he image itself. It’s the total experience.

Word, my tone throughout this thread would've been completely different had any of the customers been rubbing their hands, daydreaming of profits.  Fortunately, such madness hasn't reared its ugly head in here.

It would be the last piece I would sell out of my collection.  So it’d have to be financial armageddon!

funny thing - lots of collectors that balked at this when it came out, have recently told me they are actually strongly considering this commission experience across all price levels.

I no longer feel we are the few

The select few Jim Lee commissioners continuing to defend their purchases despite the thread having gone cold, illuminates to me ones true inner feelings more than a stylized namor or batman ever could.

Alas to each his own, I'd rather have 350 shares of MO @ 8% for life. Either way no need to keep defending your actions against an invisible judge.   Enjoy your depreciating asset, er I mean commission!

44 minutes ago, dirtymartini1 said:

Alas to each his own, I'd rather have 350 shares of MO @ 8% for life. Either way no need to keep defending your actions against an invisible judge.   Enjoy your depreciating asset, er I mean commission!

I think $MO is a depreciating asset. :eek: :fear: 

On 9/20/2019 at 5:21 PM, Subby1938 said:

Just in from framers I’m very pleased ....😜

CD552C0C-63F2-4840-A25A-104D62BE2CCC.jpeg

This is one of my all-time favorite commissions just spectacular. I know with Neal Adams he has the right to use commissions as covers is Jim Lee the same way? I could see this being a cover at some point.

Edited by Blastaar

31 minutes ago, Blastaar said:

This is one of my all-time favorite commissions just spectacular. I know with Neal Adams he has the right to use commissions as covers is Jim Lee the same way? I could see this being a cover at some point.

In this particular case, I think the chance is near zero.  He is currently an executive with DC comics so I doubt he will provide Marvel with any new OA (I know the old trading cards were re-used as variant covers, but that is a special case)

Malvin

2 hours ago, Blastaar said:

I would imagine he can do anything he wants if it’s his art. I have no say in that . It would be amazing to see one day. You never know what can happen or what Marvel might do . Jim being so involved with DC I won’t hold my breath . I’m very happy to have this 

7 hours ago, dirtymartini1 said:

The select few Jim Lee commissioners continuing to defend their purchases despite the thread having gone cold, illuminates to me ones true inner feelings more than a stylized namor or batman ever could.

What? No seriously what?

11 hours ago, dirtymartini1 said:

Wouldn't go this far re: "depreciating asset."  Just takes one buyer with OA.

But I speak for myself and likely many others -- if it weren't my personal commission experience, I'd much rather get a solid published X-Men page or the like (for thousands less).