• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Jim Lee commission prices (WAS Lake Como Comic Art Festival 20-22 April)
4 4

317 posts in this topic

11 hours ago, dirtymartini1 said:

The select few Jim Lee commissioners continuing to defend their purchases despite the thread having gone cold, illuminates to me ones true inner feelings more than a stylized namor or batman ever could.

Alas to each his own, I'd rather have 350 shares of MO @ 8% for life. Either way no need to keep defending your actions against an invisible judge.   Enjoy your depreciating asset, er I mean commission!

Compared to Blastar's $150 commission to Guichet, I don't think paying that much for a Lee commission is sensible. But, if that's the kind of experience which floats their boat, so be it.

21 hours ago, dirtymartini1 said:

The select few Jim Lee commissioners continuing to defend their purchases despite the thread having gone cold, illuminates to me ones true inner feelings more than a stylized namor or batman ever could.

Alas to each his own, I'd rather have 350 shares of MO @ 8% for life. Either way no need to keep defending your actions against an invisible judge.   Enjoy your depreciating asset, er I mean commission!

All this boils down to is A. People with the means to B. buy something that they want and C. are willing to spend to get it.   Despite All the talk about investment value, depreciating assets,  and opportunity cost, the fact is that if any of us met the criteria above for Jim, we’d do the same.

Plenty of “to each their own, but (insert derogatory comment about the purchase here)” going on in this thread.  At the end of the day, a bunch of collectors ended up with commissions that they really love....does the toxicity really need to seep into that?

21 hours ago, dirtymartini1 said:

You're right!  There should be a new thread - negative meatheads need not apply!

Enjoy your 35 shares of MO!

10 minutes ago, exitmusicblue said:

We were all doin' kumbaya good until our dear Lee diehards bumped the thread insisting on better resale value.  The tenuous armistice is broken. lol 

My stance remains... to each his/her own, just be happy.  Without needing to persuade folks that a personal commission is something beyond a personal commission.  Not a fan of proselytizing from *either* side.

Amen.

1 hour ago, punisha19 said:

All this boils down to is A. People with the means to B. buy something that they want and C. are willing to spend to get it.   Despite All the talk about investment value, depreciating assets,  and opportunity cost, the fact is that if any of us met the criteria above for Jim, we’d do the same.

Plenty of “to each their own, but (insert derogatory comment about the purchase here)” going on in this thread.  At the end of the day, a bunch of collectors ended up with commissions that they really love....does the toxicity really need to seep into that?

I think that is circular reasoning. It assumes someone wants a commission from Jim Lee. I am not enamored by his art enough to want a commission because these days, I don’t care for that style. I like something more stylized. I recognize it is good for what it is, but I will pass. 

7 hours ago, MYNAMEISLEGION said:

Commissions are a personal indulgence, no one else will ever covet the art or the experience as much as you. It's a nostalgia party of 1.  It will never compete with an investment on widely published OA on a same dollar basis. In that sense, it's a depreciating asset I guess.  Even if you sold it for 100% more in five years, it would likely be less than reselling 15K of published art with a larger pool of buyers all coveting the same art equally. If you have money to burn and enjoy it, groovy, but it's a waste of your time to try to rationalize or justify it.  1. You don't have to. 2 you can't.  You made an emotional investment, not quantifiable. 

Says who? Nobody on here is art comic art expert yet people are listening to themselves fart in a mirror dumping their opinions on a thread for commissions. None of it make sense to me. Get over it buy what you like . I clearly don’t give a mess 

30 minutes ago, Rick2you2 said:

I think that is circular reasoning. It assumes someone wants a commission from Jim Lee. I am not enamored by his art enough to want a commission because these days, I don’t care for that style. I like something more stylized. I recognize it is good for what it is, but I will pass. 

I think I was maybe misinterpreted...the Criteria was: if you were willing to pay that price for Jim, not a presumption that everyone was.

In saying that, if you’re not a huge Jim Lee Fan, no one is expecting you to take a big $ leap into a commission.  Thats totally understandable.  The issue with this thread is that multiple Jim Lee commissioners who simply said they love what they got and/or loved the experience and the $ was money well spent.  Your preference for other art that isn’t Jim and your reasoning for not spending that much on Jim is the right way to express it.  The issue is all the people chiming in with a demeaning tone, snarky comments and attempts at getting the last word in because they simply wouldn’t spend the $ on Jim.    

27 minutes ago, Subby1938 said:

Says who? Nobody on here is art comic art expert yet people are listening to themselves fart in a mirror dumping their opinions on a thread for commissions. None of it make sense to me. Get over it buy what you like . I clearly don’t give a mess 

Actually, quite a number of us are “experts” on the subject, or at the very least well informed. You’re just not one of them. :baiting:

I was giving you guys an out about having to justify your purchasing decisions, because you should buy what you like,- it’s your money- but I will not indulge delusions of value compared to published art. You will lose that argument, badly, and credibility to boot.

52 minutes ago, RICKYBOBBY said:

What’s the funniest is that people post their opinions like it’s fact loll ..bunch of trolls IMO

I'm not commenting on this thread but in general, unfortunately that is very common for people on the internet to think that their opinion is fact.

The best one (not in this forum) is a specific page that knowledgeable collectors valued at $1.5k'ish, and another person said its rare and should be worth $15k, therefore there is subjectivity (that fact that he is not willing to pay $15k, or the fact that no one in the planet has ever paid $15k for a similar page did not matter)

Malvin

1 hour ago, punisha19 said:

I think I was maybe misinterpreted...the Criteria was: if you were willing to pay that price for Jim, not a presumption that everyone was.

In saying that, if you’re not a huge Jim Lee Fan, no one is expecting you to take a big $ leap into a commission.  Thats totally understandable.  The issue with this thread is that multiple Jim Lee commissioners who simply said they love what they got and/or loved the experience and the $ was money well spent.  Your preference for other art that isn’t Jim and your reasoning for not spending that much on Jim is the right way to express it.  The issue is all the people chiming in with a demeaning tone, snarky comments and attempts at getting the last word in because they simply wouldn’t spend the $ on Jim.    

Actually, if you look to the earliest comments to this thread, they tended to emphasize how high the prices for his commissions were.

If someone wants to spend a million dollars to buy a "pig in a poke", that is their business. But to my mind, the way to evaluate the subject is to compare it to similar pigs and see what the market is. And, I do not consider published pages to be similar for the most part. I have seen resales of his unpublished work, and frankly, they seem significantly lower. Also, there are other artists who have similar styles which I think are significantly less. But as I said, it is their money.

I am not trying to say this in a demeaning way, that's just my thought on the subject.