• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Jim Lee commission prices (WAS Lake Como Comic Art Festival 20-22 April)
4 4

317 posts in this topic

12 hours ago, alxjhnsn said:

I saw the Wolverine in the brief part of the video that I watched and I wondered where he went. Did Jim say why he removed him?

Of course, if he was smart, he'd stay out of that battle anyway. :)

He said something, but I was watching it at work so split attention and kind of double taking it even being there so I missed it lol 

It means it’s a lot more than last year . What I paid for my piece is not even an option on his list . The background thing is confusing . Anyways my understanding is simple bust torso sketch with shapes and shading in backgrounds is entry level 5K USD.

anything more detailed in background 6-7K . Extra characters or full body shots with backgrounds will be 10+ guaranteed . I’ve dealt with Albert any add on is huge in pricing 

Unless it's a passion play as a fan, the rates are so high, if you're on a budget that the $15k you'd be paying for a single figure would buy you probably 2 or 3 of the really nice pieces on the ComicLink auctions closing on 06/02/20 next week.  Jim Lee commissions are market value after looking at his charity auctions but are not solid investments in my opinion, if anything they feel like they have the potential to stagnate or go down a little, depending on the character you get and what mood he's in to either fall asleep at the wheel or amp it up with extra bells and whistles.

Go with published Jim Lee are, you know exactly what you're getting and it's recognized among the elite collectors as grail work

5 hours ago, BeholdersEye said:

Unless it's a passion play as a fan, the rates are so high, if you're on a budget that the $15k you'd be paying for a single figure would buy you probably 2 or 3 of the really nice pieces on the ComicLink auctions closing on 06/02/20 next week.  Jim Lee commissions are market value after looking at his charity auctions but are not solid investments in my opinion, if anything they feel like they have the potential to stagnate or go down a little, depending on the character you get and what mood he's in to either fall asleep at the wheel or amp it up with extra bells and whistles.

Go with published Jim Lee are, you know exactly what you're getting and it's recognized among the elite collectors as grail work

+1

8 hours ago, Blastaar said:

Suddenly Neal seems reasonable. lol

Haha... have always liked Neil at cons though I've yet to acquire anything by him.  IMO he'd do better drastically cutting down his supply and charging more for scarcer output.  He's certainly earned his laurels + deserves to do so.

Sure, many prefer his past style (same as with Jim Lee, easy to notice the differences despite the nice quality), but he's still impressive when he dedicates himself, and with less supply it'd be easier to.

On 10/16/2019 at 1:43 AM, MYNAMEISLEGION said:

Commissions are a personal indulgence, no one else will ever covet the art or the experience as much as you. It's a nostalgia party of 1.  It will never compete with an investment on widely published OA on a same dollar basis. In that sense, it's a depreciating asset I guess.  Even if you sold it for 100% more in five years, it would likely be less than reselling 15K of published art with a larger pool of buyers all coveting the same art equally. If you have money to burn and enjoy it, groovy, but it's a waste of your time to try to rationalize or justify it.  1. You don't have to. 2 you can't.  You made an emotional investment, not quantifiable. 

Still the best (and among if not the most popular) post of the thread right here.  

Jim Lee commissions may not be worth it to some , on the flip side I think his Marvel stuff published or not is more desirable because he does so little of it . Only time will tell . Choice published art is so inflated and imo almost everything in this hobby is. 

My opinion but if these MCU movies didn’t drive the interest into comics and art it would be more stagnant. At some point this will taper off big time . It always does