• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Jim Lee commission prices (WAS Lake Como Comic Art Festival 20-22 April)
4 4

317 posts in this topic

As another fellow Italian collector pointed out, we are buying the time of a superstar. Not just any comic artist. We are buying the time of one of the big bosses at DC, the one who helped reshape aesthetically both Batman and Superman. When you buy published pages, the time has been already paid by the "wage" Mr. Lee gets from Dc, but with commissions, well, it's giving his time entirely to you. And you pay for it. It's like watching a Rolling Stones concert of going to dinner with them.

And then Mr Lee has 9 kids.

On 3/20/2018 at 12:25 PM, pestonaccio said:

It is supposed to be an annual event, but I don't know if they are going to break even this year... So, who knows!

Anyway I just got an email from Albert Moy, about Jim Lee's commission prices... copy and paste:

" For the first time in over 15 years, Jim Lee will be taking commission requests to be delivered exclusively at the Lake Como Comic Art Festival held April 20-22, 2018 at Villa Erba, Cernobbio , Italy.

This offer is an exclusive for show attendees only and wonâ?Tt be shipped out. There is a limit to six total and one commission per customer.

Penciled and inked by Jim Lee.

11 by 17 inches, full figure one character with limited backgrounds $15,000

11 by 17 inches, bust shot one character with no backgrounds $7,000

9 by 12 inches, full figure $6,000 with limited backgrounds

9 by 12 inches, bust shot no backgrounds $4,000

Blank cover comic, only bust shot with no background $4,000. Jim Lee will supply the blank cover comic.

Jim Lee will ultimately choose which commissions request he wants to fulfill. Once chosen, payment must be paid in full before the show. He may choose to live stream the creation of the commissions at his studio or at the show in Italy.

Payment by Paypal or Credit Card only in US dollars with a 5% service fee.

A link to enter the information for your commission request will be opened on the website. "

This is totally insane. I won't ever pay that amount. If there is someone crazy enough, I would happily pick up and ship for you.

Fan of Jim Lee, but those prices though. lol

4K for a blank sketch cover.  I know there are some OA collectors that don't respect blank sketch covers, but the detail and art on these sketch covers rival full blown commission pieces.

I know if I lived in Italy, I would NOT miss this event for any reason.  I love the concept start to finish...just not necessarily the pricing.  Wouldn't stop me from attending though.  To walk on those grounds and socialize (1,000 tickets TOTAL) with giants in the field is well worth the going rate.  As my friend said, 'that sure as fxxx ain't San Diego.'...

4 minutes ago, williamhlawson said:

I know if I lived in Italy, I would NOT miss this event for any reason.  I love the concept start to finish...just not necessarily the pricing.  Wouldn't stop me from attending though.  To walk on those grounds and socialize (1,000 tickets TOTAL) with giants in the field is well worth the going rate.  As my friend said, 'that sure as fxxx ain't San Diego.'...

At th every beginning, tickets were 500euros each (more or less 6/7hundred bucks) a day. They didn't sell any. The attendance was so low that the organisation decided to lower the price to 125euros (more or less 150/200$) in order to have more people. I am pretty sure it won't be sold out even because Cernobbio (Como Lake) is not easy to reach.

10 minutes ago, williamhlawson said:

I'll admit to not reading into the full con details previously, so I only now get it - this is the comicon version of Monsters of Rock (booze) Cruise. Okay. Still overpriced top to bottom and all around ;) but all good for those that dig it.

Edited by vodou
clarity

19 hours ago, Kohei said:

That kind of money should include dinner and a dance at least.

...and a reach-around. 

7 minutes ago, Bronty said:

I was thinking the same.   Doubt he wants to disappoint people.    Just setting expectations low so he can exceed them.

But would you risk 15k bearing in mind that if he draws a low background you won't be able to complain?

54 minutes ago, pestonaccio said:

At th every beginning, tickets were 500euros each (more or less 6/7hundred bucks) a day. They didn't sell any. The attendance was so low that the organisation decided to lower the price to 125euros (more or less 150/200$) in order to have more people. I am pretty sure it won't be sold out even because Cernobbio (Como Lake) is not easy to reach.

That actually sounds really nice.   For 125, hang out in a nice setting and not have hordes of people to deal with and get to see lots of good guests?   Worth it

Edited by Bronty

Just now, pestonaccio said:

But would you risk 15k bearing in mind that if he draws a low background you won't be able to complain?

I am neither into commissions nor Jim Lee, so..   its a definite no, but it would be just as hard a no for me at $500   (resale aside).

You can watch Jim draw live and get a sense of what limited backgrounds mean on his twitch channel https://www.twitch.tv/jimlee/videos/all

He'll stream again live 3/31/18.  If you got an account, you can ask what limited backgrounds mean and if he'll add dinner, dances, hire you to be a live in nanny, and reach arounds at that time.

Jim has drawn sketches for free for fans in line before.  So he understands not everyone can afford to pay those prices. 

With only 1000 tickets to the show over 3 days, it would figure most of the guests will have more time to possibly draw for fans???  That would make it worthwhile to pay the admission.

2 hours ago, fsumavila said:

I've never been to a European show, but do artists typically sketch more at those shows than here in the states? Just curious.

It really depends on the artist. Some of them take their time, some others (often the famous ones - when they still do it) don't.

You can see a fairly good sample here: https://www.2dgalleries.com/browse/index?timespan=3&order=10&catid=15

As a Jim Lee fan, The only Jim Lee art worth spending stupid money on, would be on his Uncanny X-Men/X-Men days. Everything thing else he's done can go up in flames, it's all over priced and people are crazy enough to keep paying his prices for art that looks like every other design he's done a 1000 times already.   

At this point Jim Lee
feel more like an update version of Neal Adams
greedy asking pricing.

And I am not surprise
I have a conversation with (*)
Lee was asking to charge $ 5,000.00
for a sketch in a Dark Knight Blank Cover just because it was super ultra limited.

Lee know what he is doing.
He is milking the cow.

So its up to people if they want to buy...

I will say this:
If you have a kid,
don't pay for his kids...

1 hour ago, Kevin76 said:

As a Jim Lee fan, The only Jim Lee art worth spending stupid money on, would be on his Uncanny X-Men/X-Men days. Everything thing else he's done can go up in flames, it's all over priced and people are crazy enough to keep paying his prices for art that looks like every other design he's done a 1000 times already.   

Hush won't go up in flames...  I am not saying it is a surefire investment.  But it won't go up in flames. 

9 hours ago, Kevin76 said:

I wonder if I could charge ala pay per view live feed as I torch all my post Xmen Lee art? hm :idea::banana:

1 hour ago, stinkininkin said:

I wonder if I could charge ala pay per view live feed as I torch all my post Xmen Lee art?

The real issue is everybody knows the 15k commission asking price isn't worth it without Scott Williams inks (shrug)

Edited by Bronty