• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Jim Lee commission prices (WAS Lake Como Comic Art Festival 20-22 April)
4 4

317 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, williamhlawson said:

All this sketch 'price bump' is doing is establishing a market for an art authentication service, just one opinion.

Nobody, and I mean N O B O D Y with pockets deeper than the kid across the street that mows lawn during the summer will take this on. Way too much liability. Unless it's just same old same old COAs 'opinions' issued by some random jackrabbit, the one you'll never find when it's deposition time lol

Still in doubt, google up the PSA/DNA scandal. That was (and still is) messy.

2 hours ago, Bronty said:

that is one tiny commission!

For any artists out there, how long would that take? 45 minutes, tops? If Moy gets 20% off the top, Lee is still getting over $1,000 per hour.

Around 220 hours would net him a base level Ferrari (excluding sales tax, destination and dealer preparation charges, of course :)).  

2 minutes ago, Rick2you2 said:

For any artists out there, how long would that take? 45 minutes, tops? If Moy gets 20% off the top, Lee is still getting over $1,000 per hour.

Around 220 hours would net him a base level Ferrari (excluding sales tax, destination and dealer preparation charges, of course :)).  

there's no way that takes him more than ten minutes and that's if he takes a break to have a chat

Just now, Rick2you2 said:

If he takes 20 minutes, he gets that Ferrari for about 100 hours' work.

More like he makes 3k because only 3 people want it at that price

Just now, Bronty said:

More like he makes 3k because only 3 people want it at that price

Maybe, maybe not. For someone who can't afford a "big" Ferrari, but wants the name, they'll go with the "cheap" version for $220,000 +/-

But it's clearly nuts.

3 minutes ago, Rick2you2 said:

Maybe, maybe not.

You never know, that's true.    I can't see them flying off the shelves though.   

1 hour ago, Bronty said:

You never know, that's true.    I can't see them flying off the shelves though.   

That's one of the crazy things about behavioral economics; high prices can increase demand because it creates the perception of a "luxury good" (like with the aforementioned price of wine). He might very well sell more of them at $1,000 than at $500.  

I think if you're getting an original Jim Lee commission, you're probably not getting it for resale.  You should get something drawn you can't get anywhere else.

My list:

Darkhawk

Obama or Trump (or whatever president/politician you like)

Our first dog

my grandpa

Einstein

Something with 'mature' content

comic mashup - wolverine as green lantern for example.

15 minutes ago, revat said:

I think if you're getting an original Jim Lee commission, you're probably not getting it for resale.  You should get something drawn you can't get anywhere else.

My list:

Darkhawk

Obama or Trump (or whatever president/politician you like)

Our first dog

my grandpa

Einstein

Something with 'mature' content

comic mashup - wolverine as green lantern for example.

Or a graphic representation of an embittered Scrooge McDuck handing Jim 15K in cash to draw a graphic representation of an embittered Scrooge McDuck handing Jim 15K in cash. 

Edited by Mr. Machismo

My opinion on the $1,000 Jim Lee sketch is that it's far worst looking than what he used to do for fans for FREE who stood in line at conventions for him that were lucky enough to get a sketch.  It's also not a fair representation of his artistic talent and is very mediocre, to the degree he should be ashamed to charge for such lackluster quality.  I don't mind him charging $15k for a detailed nice piece, but as many artists have said to me in the past "I don't want to do quick sketches and have artwork with my name attached that isn't in line with the true quality of my capabilities floating out there"

I think Jim Lee should stick to being a DC executive, just sell his published artwork and do the free personalized fan sketches on a limited basis or at his discretion.  The whole thing that Albert Moy is representing is kinda tacky for a man of his (Jim Lee's) wealth and stature.  He doesn't need the money.