• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Stan Lee forgeries, a general thread
2 2

210 posts in this topic

And because an item may have a COA doesn't necessarily mean it's authentic. This COA is as worthless as the forged signature on the package.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Stan-Lee-autographed-pez-dispenser-spiderman/152943563654?hash=item239c259386:g:FesAAOSwMEBaqAJp

Approx. Value: $200! lol

Pez1.jpg

Pez2.jpg

Edited by James J Johnson

Good day

I’m a noob collector and thanks to all you guys on cgc forums, became aware of tonfulle-84 forgeries

However, Im not sure but Tonfulle seem to have a similar hand in a lot of Stan Lee signed memorabilia that carry a PAAS COA. Just search PAAS Stan Lee on ebay. Here’s an example

https://m.ebay.com/itm/Comic-Book-Legend-Stan-Lee-Autographed-8-x-10-Hand-Signed-PAAS-w-COA-LA-Dodgers/152810176079?hash=item2394323e4f:g:Hk4AAOSwFp9aIT6N

42 minutes ago, Boomboomha! said:

Good day

I’m a noob collector and thanks to all you guys on cgc forums, became aware of tonfulle-84 forgeries

However, Im not sure but Tonfulle seem to have a similar hand in a lot of Stan Lee signed memorabilia that carry a PAAS COA. Just search PAAS Stan Lee on ebay. Here’s an example

https://m.ebay.com/itm/Comic-Book-Legend-Stan-Lee-Autographed-8-x-10-Hand-Signed-PAAS-w-COA-LA-Dodgers/152810176079?hash=item2394323e4f:g:Hk4AAOSwFp9aIT6N

It's worthless. The signature and the COA. It would have had to have been signed sometime between Oct. 1st 2016 and now. The signature is wrong for that time period. PAAS has only recently been allowed back on ebay. For a long time ebay banned items bearing their authentication. Google PAAS and note. This Lee signature is a prime reason as to why PAAS authenticated items were banned until ebay relaxed their stance, like they did on all autograph items it seems, sad to mention.

I'm a comic guy. I'm also an autograph guy. I collect many different types of autos, but for me Comics + autographs = :cloud9: 

There's not much I miss when it comes to either and I'd say the #1 error that forgers make are anachronisms. The wrong signature on the wrong piece. This is one of those examples.

:bump: 

Still serving them up; 15 to 20 forgeries per week.

He is getting closer, three months later, his forgeries are showing signs of improvement; although it's still obviously not by Stan's hand at any time in his career:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Avengers-192-VF-8-0-SIGNED-STAN-LEE-1st-Appearance-Origin-Inferno-Key-L-K/132888659725?hash=item1ef0c8070d:g:HLYAAOSw~rhcEERd

Whole lot of Stan Lee forgeries coming out of Alabama; at least over 100 per week.

57LesPaulGoldTop is still going strong. Almost 500 posters listed over the last few months that were "all signed at the 1993 Dragon Con". Interesting note that nobody I've asked about this mass signing at the Dragon Con of these posters recalls seeing Stan sign even one of them!  (tsk) 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Stan-Lee-Signed-Autographed-Tales-To-Astonish-31-poster-art-print-1993-Mummy/143047437024?hash=item214e4aaae0:g:iocAAOSw~VBcD1yr

Closing in on $20,000 worth of spurious Stan Lee signatures!

3 minutes ago, grebal said:

There's that other scammer with signed posters of Marvel covers "signed by Stan"; what garbage, brings down the whole industry, hope these guys take a hit in some form eventually.

That's the second seller I linked 2 posts above, 57LesPaulGoldTop, also in Alabama, like Tonfulle-84; what a coincidence!!

He broke the forger's cardinal rule. Never lock yourself in chronologically if you're unable to convincingly forge a signature chronologically consistent with that date. Can't tell you how many forgers have tripped themselves up doing this, it's as major a tell (contradicting the storyline) as signing something manufactured after the signer dies.

57LesPaulGoldTop's "1993 Stan Lee" forgeries are not only inconsistent for authenticity, but doubly so for the way Stan was signing in 1993.

$20,000 and counting for a third rate forger! Only on ebay.  :facepalm:

3 minutes ago, grebal said:

There's that other scammer with signed posters of Marvel covers "signed by Stan"; what garbage, brings down the whole industry, hope these guys take a hit in some form eventually.

That's the second seller I linked 2 posts above, 57LesPaulGoldTop, also in Alabama, like Tonfulle-84; what a coincidence!!

He broke the forger's cardinal rule. Never lock yourself in chronologically if you're unable to convincingly forge a signature chronologically consistent with that date. Can't tell you how many forgers have tripped themselves up doing this, it's as major a tell (contradicting the storyline) as signing something manufactured after the signer dies.

57LesPaulGoldTop's "1993 Stan Lee" forgeries are not only inconsistent for authenticity, but doubly so for the way Stan was signing in 1993.

$20,000 and counting for a third rate forger! Only on ebay.  :facepalm:

10 minutes ago, mattn792 said:

Signed by Slim Lex, courtesy of dave974:

s-l1600.jpg

yes Stan frequently avoided signing over the art lol 

8 minutes ago, mattn792 said:

Signed by Slim Lex, courtesy of dave974:

s-l1600.jpg

Well, this is farcical. Nobody who ever saw Stan sign anything at any stage in his life, young, middle, old, would ever mistake this as something Stan signed, even if they know little to nothing about autographs. How the forger doesn't shred this before actually letting anyone see it is beyond my comprehension. Perhaps the forger is as visually, as well as morally, impaired?

1 minute ago, kav said:

"Steve Love" :roflmao:

You know, I've had conversations at shows with forgers. All types of Ephemera related shows where autographs are sold and traded. I'm as much an autograph hound as I am a comic collector. After "breaking chops" about fakes at dealer's tables, usually after I'd get to talking about their forgeries and it dawning on them that they're busted, some of them were willing to talk about it after I'd hit them with my, "Listen. You've got dough here. Decent inventory. You don't need this garbage. Stop! You don't need the grief that may come of this". Some of them would admit to it (what else are they going to do when confronted by someone who knows what's fake and what's real on their tables and walls, right?).

A common them among them, and this makes perfect sense is that they sign dreck or very nominal value so if they mess up, they shred it and go on to the next item they can turn from a dollar piece to a $20, $50, $100 or more piece. That's why nobody is forging signatures on items that sell for in excess of the auto. Makes no sense. If they mess up, they're throwing out more money than the signature is worth!! But this new wave of ebay forgers seem to value $1 books like they're $50 books. They just don't want to shred them no matter how bad their forgery is! Pure greed. And that really jams them up because they list it with such a bad forgery, like this Annual above because the forger should have decided to shred it before he even finished that FUBAR 'S'.

I've said it in another thread too -- I just hope none of these are ending up under the Christmas trees of unsuspecting young comic fans, courtesy of a Santa that's trying to cheap out and save a few bucks.

Edited by mattn792
can't type words

I wish ebay would just hire james johnson as the sig expert and actively seek out forgers.  Who needs this carp on their platform?

7 minutes ago, mattn792 said:

I've said it in another thread too -- I just hope none of these are ending up under the Christmas trees of unsuspecting young comic fans, courtesy of a Santa that's trying to cheap out and save a few bucks.

Matt, most will never know. Fakes abound so prevalently in all areas and subjects of autograph collecting that the majority of them are faux.

I used to walk in the door of the shows and I'd see a flurry of activity of vendors deftly and nonchalantly sweeping entire binders of signed stuff off their tables to under them once they saw me headed their way. These were the guys I've had convos with before.

It can be very unsettling for a vendor with potential buyers surrounding his table to have a sharpshooter walk by and give him the hairy eyeball, glancing from fake to fake and shaking his head side to side just enough for only him to detect.  lol

"Hi I see youre buying a sig book"
"Yes I'm so excited"
"Do you know anything about signatures?"
"No..."
"SO WHY THE HELL ARE YOU BUYING THEM???!!!!"