• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Stan Lee forgeries, a general thread
2 2

210 posts in this topic

5 minutes ago, kav said:

I wish ebay would just hire james johnson as the sig expert and actively seek out forgers.  Who needs this carp on their platform?

It's on many platforms. And it seems the closer you get to Vegas or Florida, it gets even worse! God bless CGC's yellow witness signature series, Without that, most auto/comic collectors wouldn't have half of what they think they have!

1 minute ago, kav said:

"Hi I see youre buying a sig book"
"Yes I'm so excited"
"Do you know anything about signatures?"
"No..."
"SO WHY THE HELL ARE YOU BUYING THEM???!!!!"

Well meaning gifts. They wouldn't do it morally, or for fear of reprisal, so the unsuspecting buyer proceeds thinking, "why would they list it as genuine unless they're sure it is?". They're projecting their own set of ethics on the seller, though sadly mistaken, of course.

3 minutes ago, kav said:

FBI did operation Bullpen-now they need to do OPERATION STAN'S BULLPEN

And the Stan Lee forgeries are small time, a drop in the bucket, compared to signed movie cast posters, some of which they get thousands for if in affluent areas, like Vegas and parts of Florida!

I've been seeing them at tables for decades, but now, with eBay's relaxed standards, they've made a come back in spades!   As I'd lean in at a table and mention which signatures were signed by the same forger, the vendor's face would usually turn more pale with each passing sentence! I'd say, "This happens when you try to forge 20 different signatures on the same piece" :roflmao:   Even the brilliant forgers are good for maybe a dozen signatures, at best. You've got to sign your name (or somebody else's) tens of thousands of times to relax traces of your own handwriting out of it, and then practice regularly.  Layman don't understand this. "Ahhhh, it's a signature. My signature looks different every time". And no, it doesn't. Even if it looks different, to a handwriting ace; it doesn't.

I've read that full cast signed posters virtually are non existent.  Stars are busy and getting em all in the same place and time just doesnt happen.  A couple maybe but entire cast-nope.

38 minutes ago, mattn792 said:

I've said it in another thread too -- I just hope none of these are ending up under the Christmas trees of unsuspecting young comic fans, courtesy of a Santa that's trying to cheap out and save a few bucks.

Sadly...this guy has a 100% positive rating on eBay. The most recent one? "Our kid is going to love it!"

https://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback2&userid=tonfulle-84&myworld=true&items=25&iid=-1&de=off&which=positive&interval=365

1 minute ago, TheCollector2016 said:

doh!  :pullhair:

3 minutes ago, TheCollector2016 said:

FFS, every Stan signature this guy has listed looks the EXACT SAME.  That's a dead giveaway by itself.

1 minute ago, mattn792 said:

FFS, every Stan signature this guy has listed looks the EXACT SAME.  That's a dead giveaway by itself.

:ohnoez:

47 minutes ago, mattn792 said:

Absolutely. Some are using a projector and cel that places the signature on the medium. Those wlll be the closest each and every time, tracing that projection without much variation in the macro details, like 57LesPaulGoldTop. I'm fairly certain that's what he's using, IMO.

What won't be duplicated is the track itself. The way the line thins and thickens and it's angles, based on how Stan turns the pen with each trajectory change! This is why most will not show a super closeup of the signature. They know that would be a dead giveaway. The forgers are savvy about some things, and downright blithering about others.

Edited by James J Johnson

Someone should invite ol tonfullofit here to defend himself lol 

I'm sure there's a simple explanation.

Edited by kav

8 hours ago, James J Johnson said:

:bump: 

Still serving them up; 15 to 20 forgeries per week.

He is getting closer, three months later, his forgeries are showing signs of improvement; although it's still obviously not by Stan's hand at any time in his career:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Avengers-192-VF-8-0-SIGNED-STAN-LEE-1st-Appearance-Origin-Inferno-Key-L-K/132888659725?hash=item1ef0c8070d:g:HLYAAOSw~rhcEERd

Whole lot of Stan Lee forgeries coming out of Alabama; at least over 100 per week.

57LesPaulGoldTop is still going strong. Almost 500 posters listed over the last few months that were "all signed at the 1993 Dragon Con". Interesting note that nobody I've asked about this mass signing at the Dragon Con of these posters recalls seeing Stan sign even one of them!  (tsk) 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Stan-Lee-Signed-Autographed-Tales-To-Astonish-31-poster-art-print-1993-Mummy/143047437024?hash=item214e4aaae0:g:iocAAOSw~VBcD1yr

Closing in on $20,000 worth of spurious Stan Lee signatures!

I love the guy selling only autographed books. He ruined a nice xmen 131 though and the darkseid book with the fake Kirby sig

2 hours ago, mattn792 said:

Are people really this dumb? To think I sold a Stan Lee signed Scottie young book here for like $10 or 15. I had no idea if it was real (and said as much), but I figured it was because the folks at the cgc booth gave it to my son at a nycc 6 or 7 years ago when he got detached from me and I couldn't find him and he was hanging out at their booth. That was sweet of them but a couple of years later he wanted money for Legos (hey, better than weed). I figure cgc would not be passing off forgeries.