• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Stan Lee forgeries, a general thread
2 2

210 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, seredynskib said:

Not only are 57LesPaulGoldTop’s signatures obviously fake, but so is his feedback on EBay! Even though he has 100% positive feedback, most of it is from the same buyer, who probably is him on an alternate account.

If someone want to take the time to call ebay they can probably investigate and shut him down.

7 hours ago, Aweandlorder said:

Jumping Butterballs! Some forger actually had stones large enough to post that for the world to see? How does he keep his pants up? 

XXX.jpg

5 hours ago, Mr. Zipper said:

I hate to tell you, but the signed cast posters with "studio" holograms are all fake. The "movie premier cast signed poster" is a huge scam that has been going on for years.

Marvel Avengers Cast Movie Poster with letter and holograms

Fake Autographed Premiere Poster Crisis?

sl160018.jpg

Absolutely, Big Z. An ambitious undertaking, but all or mostly all obviously executed by the same author.

5 hours ago, Mr. Zipper said:

A forger has to learn a signature, and because it is learned and repeated exactly the same way every time, they have no natural variation. "Cookie cutter" fakes. This is how and why you are able to identify specific forgers.

Could also be some sort of trace job as mentioned by someone else.

Very true, Big Z., IMO, 57LesPaulGoldTop is using this trace method. Probably either projecting the signature via cel and projection or maybe even one of those old fashioned, mechanical drawing/copying devices known as a pantagraph, the forerunner of the autopen!

5 hours ago, Karl Liebl said:

Lol who knows?  I don't really care, I didn't even know it was there...

406591999_wgG8E71lSNSqxSl8nMHmw_thumb_72c.jpg.dd7ab660b26288793768efae9fb10252.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_6e7.jpg.005c68b1a113af6f47ebdc0cc4a3555e.jpg

I was checking the pages before I sent it in and saw it...  Also I have owned the book for 40 years.  Maybe fake maybe not, I sure can't tell...

That's authentic. No question about it at all. Should ace any authentication company that it's submitted to.

I have no doubt that the CGC graders have seen enough authentic Kirbys to make a thumbs up judgment call on authenticity if that was their option. But authentication is not part of their grading process, even for the signature series books. For those, all doubt is removed by CGC witnessing the signatures first hand, a fantastic service as even the top authenticators can err. Seeing is believing and CGC provides that wonderful failsafe for autograph collectors!

Edited by James J Johnson

1 hour ago, 1950's war comics said:

since you mentioned it , it does stand out that nearly all the signatures have similar characteristics  :sorry:

One forged right after the other, in rapid succession, only stopping long enough to drop one implement and pick up another. As Big Z mentioned, "Kitchen table garbage". Not only is he imparting his own handwriting characteristics to each forged signature, but blending each successive one into another, a complete merging integration of styles.

This is the norm for the majority of cast signed poster forgery attempts, and it's obvious to anyone who ever took even a rudimentary course in handwriting analysis, without even going into the details of each signature, which is a moot point here, not even worth addressing after that consideration.

1 hour ago, James J Johnson said:

Jumping Butterballs! Some forger actually had stones large enough to post that for the world to see? How does he keep his pants up? 

XXX.jpg

Yes Stan was often known to write his sig very tiny like this.

3 minutes ago, kav said:

Yes Stan was often known to write his sig very tiny like this.

Not just size; that's the very least of it!! There's not one element of this forgery that would lead me to believe that the forger has even seen a Stan Lee signature in the past 30 years. Where the heck did he dream this one up from? Another bad forgery as an exemplar?

2 minutes ago, James J Johnson said:

Not just size; that's the very least of it!! There's not one element of this forgery that would lead me to believe that the forger has even seen a Stan Lee signature in the past 30 years. Where the heck did he dream this one up from? Another bad forgery as an exemplar?

I think that is the worst sig you have unearthed to date, even if the size were correct.  The size tho just kinda jumps out at you tho.

5 minutes ago, kav said:

I think that is the worst sig you have unearthed to date, even if the size were correct.  The size tho just kinda jumps out at you tho.

That real big one on 1/3rd of the Hulk cover, with the 'St' part that looked like a crucifix is still my favorite!! :roflmao: 

That forger and this one that forged the AS 287 should form a comedy team and perform at UACC functions. They can call themselves, Finn and Finagle.

20 hours ago, kav said:

:roflmao:

Obviously NOT the Flash Gordon #1 which Al Williamson signed. That copy is buried in one of my boxes. I provided a scan from GCD to illustrate the large white area of the comic.

Just now, Tony D said:

Obviously NOT the Flash Gordon #1 which Al Williamson signed. That copy is buried in one of my boxes. I provided a scan from GCD to illustrate the large white area of the comic.

I thought well they do make them white ink pens-  lol 

1 hour ago, kav said:

I thought well they do make them white ink pens-  lol 

Oh dear, you’ve just opened up a brand new eBay scam...

”This here blank variant was signed by Stan Lee.  But he used white paint pen, so you can’t see it.  It’s myyyyssssteeeerrrriiiiooouussss...”

Fifty g’s and its yours!

14 minutes ago, mattn792 said:

”This here blank variant was signed by Stan Lee.  But he used white paint pen, so you can’t see it.  It’s myyyyssssteeeerrrriiiiooouussss...”

Fifty g’s and its yours!

:flipbait:

29 minutes ago, mattn792 said:

Fifty g’s and its yours!

Triple signed by Lee, Kirby and Ditko in invisible ink !!!!!

9 minutes ago, 1950's war comics said:

Triple signed by Lee, Kirby and Ditko in invisible ink !!!!!

the stan sig is signed by kirby and both signed over by ditko

40 minutes ago, Aweandlorder said:

I dont feel so bad for the buyers as much as I do for all the ones that received any of these books as a gift and had to keep a straight face and thank their loved ones for spending so much money on them

This here, especially if its a gift to a young collector that also does not know how to distinguish a bogus Stan from a legit one.  The kid goes years thinking he has a keepsake signed by the late Stan Lee, only to one day find out that its a $0.25 book that some :censored: cooked up at his kitchen table in order to fleece mom and dad out of a few Andrew Jacksons.