• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Stan Lee forgeries, a general thread
2 2

210 posts in this topic

The disgusting reality is that forgery sellers know how to target casual buyers, like those looking for holiday gifts. The worthless fraudulent COAs and shiny stickers are often all a casual buyer needs to see to think that they’re getting the real deal.  Kitchen table forgers don’t make their money from experienced collectors falling  for their fakes… their bread-and-butter are casual and impulse buyers. 

On ‎12‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 10:04 AM, Mr. Zipper said:

The disgusting reality is that forgery sellers know how to target casual buyers, like those looking for holiday gifts. The worthless fraudulent COAs and shiny stickers are often all a casual buyer needs to see to think that they’re getting the real deal.  Kitchen table forgers don’t make their money from experienced collectors falling  for their fakes… their bread-and-butter are casual and impulse buyers. 

Which is why the forged posters are the most popular seller around Holiday times. People looking to give a gift see a signature series CGC slab and to them, it's a hunk of plastic and not the bastion on integrity and honesty that ardent autograph hounds know it to be and depend upon. Then they see the forged poster and it has the appearance of making a much bolder and impressive presentation on a wall once framed. They think it's more bang for the buck, especially that many times, the forgery is "bargain" priced at giveaway prices (due to inauthenticity).

Edited by James J Johnson

19 minutes ago, 1950's war comics said:

my Grandma used to have real shaky cursive handwriting and even she could have faked a signature as well as those Stan forgeries......

HIRE THAT WOMAN!

11 minutes ago, Mercury Man said:

I think it's legit. Definitely one from his last days.  

who would pay $100 to get this comic signed  ?? not even factoring the Comic-con entry fee, gas, parking ect.... and the grading fees,.. postage there and back 

the person would have $150 invested in it

2 hours ago, Mercury Man said:

I think it's legit. Definitely one from his last days.  

I share that opinion. Although the first impression is of a poorly drawn forgery, the telemetry of the pen and the angles it's held at start to finish are logical for Stan Lee's handwriting. Although it certainly is not what one could remotely call, "choice", by any stretch of the imagination, and the authentication is by PGX, this could very well be the real deal.

The "Sta" are spot on for signatures during the final signings, and although there's no perceptible 'n' and the tail is way off the norm, this is likely authentic.

My initial reaction was that the Stan signed Wolverine 4 was likely authentic... very ugly but probably ok. Frankly, I think a forger would tend to do a neater job forming the "an."

I believe there were a lot of backroom deals for bulk submissions, so it's probable the person did not pay the full retail signing fee for this. As odd as it may seem, a lot of people did bring him books to sign that he did not write or edit. I don't get it... especially when dollar bins are full of books or reprints of books he did write... but it is what it is.

Of course, the so-called PGX authentication will cast doubt on this... and the sloppy sub-prime signature... not a desirable item IMO. If you gave it to me for free, the first thing I'd do would be to crack it out of the heinous slab.

On 12/29/2018 at 4:52 PM, 1950's war comics said:

who would pay $100 to get this comic signed  ?? not even factoring the Comic-con entry fee, gas, parking ect.... and the grading fees,.. postage there and back 

the person would have $150 invested in it

I can tell you from standing in line on 3 separate occasions, I have seen far worse transgressions and drek pushed in front of him.   

2 hours ago, jcjames said:

Wow.

That's a $ sign right?

Looks more like a crucifix with a serpent wrapped around it.   As impossible as it seems, this particular forger hasn't learned from his mistakes. He's been forging Stan Lee on books exactly the same way for the past year! The forgery is so bad that he may as well sign his own name and call it a Stan Lee signature. The forgery couldn't be any worse even if he did that.

47 minutes ago, kav said:

I just picked up the stan lee sig-thoughts?

download (1).png

I wonder if legally, that Stan Lee "crucifix" forgery can even be considered a "forgery".  It's so bad that a lawyer could possibly argue, "My client wasn't trying to fool anybody. Lok at it. No furtive attempt was actually made to duplicate a Stan Lee facsimile that my client had any reason to believe that it would actually fool anybody". 

It's the signature forgery equivalent of someone hand drawing their own three dollar bills on lined notebook paper, maybe with their own face on them, and trying to pay for merchandise them.