• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Stan Lee forgeries, a general thread
2 2

210 posts in this topic

14 hours ago, James J Johnson said:

:bump: 

Still serving them up; 15 to 20 forgeries per week.

He is getting closer, three months later, his forgeries are showing signs of improvement; although it's still obviously not by Stan's hand at any time in his career:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Avengers-192-VF-8-0-SIGNED-STAN-LEE-1st-Appearance-Origin-Inferno-Key-L-K/132888659725?hash=item1ef0c8070d:g:HLYAAOSw~rhcEERd

Whole lot of Stan Lee forgeries coming out of Alabama; at least over 100 per week.

57LesPaulGoldTop is still going strong. Almost 500 posters listed over the last few months that were "all signed at the 1993 Dragon Con". Interesting note that nobody I've asked about this mass signing at the Dragon Con of these posters recalls seeing Stan sign even one of them!  (tsk) 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Stan-Lee-Signed-Autographed-Tales-To-Astonish-31-poster-art-print-1993-Mummy/143047437024?hash=item214e4aaae0:g:iocAAOSw~VBcD1yr

Closing in on $20,000 worth of spurious Stan Lee signatures!

I love the guy selling only autographed books. He ruined a nice xmen 131 though and the darkseid book with the fake Kirby sig

This disgusts me on so many levels. That this guy is blatantly committing fraud and making decent money doing so, people are this dumb, and ebay is fine with it. My wife got booted off ebay for a few late shipments (by me) with over 1300, 100% positive feedback, and this con man is sitting pretty?

5 hours ago, the blob said:

This disgusts me on so many levels. That this guy is blatantly committing fraud and making decent money doing so, people are this dumb, and ebay is fine with it. My wife got booted off ebay for a few late shipments (by me) with over 1300, 100% positive feedback, and this con man is sitting pretty?

I agree.

47 minutes ago, Joosh said:

What comes to my mind is that if these guys are terrible at forgeries and getting away with it out in the open via eBay, what about the not so obvious forgers we aren’t talking about?

any sig not in a yellow label slab is 'name written on cover'.  doesnt matter how well executed.

6 hours ago, Joosh said:

What comes to my mind is that if these guys are terrible at forgeries and getting away with it out in the open via eBay, what about the not so obvious forgers we aren’t talking about?

Plenty of that too. On ebay, if you pool together all the autos, all the genres and mediums signed, 8 X 10s, comics, magazines, baseballs, bats, guitars, posters, etc., etc.; sports, stage and screen, military and political, etc., etc., I'd have to conservatively venture that IMO, at the very least, 80% of the UNwitnessed-authenticated signatures that I see are fakes. If you think the Stan Lee forgers are prevalent, it's a grain of sand compared to the whole. Marilyn, Elvis, Babe, Mantle, Michael Jackson, et. al; that's the real red meat right there for forgers. Stan Lee at the $25 to $100 per pop that these guys get from forging his name aren't even the potatoes.

Edited by James J Johnson
Had to correct typo, amend the word witnessed to the intended UNwitnessed.

1 minute ago, James J Johnson said:

Plenty of that too. On ebay, if you pool together all the autos, all the genres and mediums signed, 8 X 10s, comics, magazines, baseballs, bats, guitars, posters, etc., etc.; sports, stage and screen, military and political, etc., etc., I'd have to conservatively venture that IMO, at the very least, 80% of the witness-authenticated signatures that I see are fakes. If you think the Stan Lee forgers are prevalent, it's a grain of sand compared to the whole. Marilyn, Elvis, Babe, Mantle, Michael Jackson, et. al; that's the real red meat right there for forgers. Stan Lee at the $25 to $100 per pop that these guys get from forging his name aren't even the potatoes.

80% of the witness-authenticated are fakes?  Are you talking CGC?  Please expand on this.

9 minutes ago, mattn792 said:

80% of the witness-authenticated are fakes?  Are you talking CGC?  Please expand on this.

I dont think he meant that

Edited by kav

2 hours ago, mattn792 said:

CGC? What would they have to do with fakes?  Every signed item in a CGC holder under a yellow label is gold! It's all witnessed, there's not a shred of doubt about what's under glass. It's not even an opinion based authentication, like Beckett, PSA, and others. CGC is not in the autograph authentication business. They only certify it if the signor penned it right in front of them, they're acting like a notary, not an authentication service!

What I meant to say is Unwitnessed. I didn't look, but if I did write that 80% of witnessed are fakes, that was a typo. That wouldn't make sense. How can a witnessed sig be fake? My bad.

2 hours ago, kav said:

I dont think he meant that

Neither do I, he always speaks highly of the yellow label.  I still want to hear more though, it would be pretty off putting if other segments of the autograph hobby are faking their “witnessing” (besides PGX of course).

33 minutes ago, mattn792 said:

Neither do I, he always speaks highly of the yellow label.  I still want to hear more though, it would be pretty off putting if other segments of the autograph hobby are faking their “witnessing” (besides PGX of course).

Yes, that's true. Make no secret of my enthusiasm for CGC yellow labels. It's a foolproof way to assure that a collector is getting the artist's/creator's ink. Also, I just corrected that typo for accuracy and to avoid confusing any readers.

3 minutes ago, mattn792 said:

There was a boardie who stated he got books witnessed at one location and walked it over to the other side of the con to turn it in for slabbing or however they do it.  This made his spider sense tingle at the idea how easy it would be to fiddle with this system.

22 hours ago, kav said:

I've read that full cast signed posters virtually are non existent.  Stars are busy and getting em all in the same place and time just doesnt happen.  A couple maybe but entire cast-nope.

My son has one for how to train your Dragon. He won it as a grand prize through sonething legitimate.

1 minute ago, the blob said:

My son has one for how to train your Dragon. He won it as a grand prize through sonething legitimate.

If its a studio authorized poster they are legit.  thats pretty cool.  keep all paperwork!

55 minutes ago, kav said:

There was a boardie who stated he got books witnessed at one location and walked it over to the other side of the con to turn it in for slabbing or however they do it.  This made his spider sense tingle at the idea how easy it would be to fiddle with this system.

Doesn't sound right, or he explained it wrong, leaving out missing details. Once a signature is witnessed, and authenticated based on that witnessed signature, why would it need to be re-submitted elsewhere, and if one company witnessed it and certified the piece, that witness for that company would have nothing to do with another company. That second company would have to witness it all over again, a second signature on the book.

Unless he was talking about a scenario like the CGC switched 5.0 for a lesser grade copy. Someone popping out a genuine signature and substituting a fake in that slab, and then taking the genuine autographed copy and having that authenticated and slabbed (by CBCS or PGX because CGC isn't in the unwitnessed authentication biz.

2 minutes ago, James J Johnson said:

Doesn't sound right, or he explained it wrong, leaving out missing details. Once a signature is witnessed, and authenticated based on that witnessed signature, why would it need to be re-submitted elsewhere, and if one company witnessed it and certified the piece, that witness for that company would have nothing to do with another company. That second company would have to witness it all over again, a second signature on the book.

Unless he was talking about a scenario like the CGC switched 5.0 for a lesser grade copy. Someone popping out a genuine signature and substituting a fake in that slab, and then taking the genuine autographed copy and having that authenticated and slabbed (by CBCS or PGX because CGC isn't in the unwitnessed authentication biz.

He said there was construction going on and the signing area was separate from the slabbing or whatever area due to not enough room.