• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What color label would CGC grade this as?
1 1

10 posts in this topic

Thanks for your insight.  Has anyone else submitted a book with this type of flaw that can share their experience?  The book is mid-grade and I wouldn't bother grading the book if it came back qualified. 

Even if it's in a Blue label, it will still have the notation on the label, lowering the desirability for many collectors. If it's 4.0, I don't think I would submit it. It would only be a 200.00 book and a tough sell with the defect. Is it really worth the slabbing expenses ? Also, realize that when it is in a blue label, the defect will be counted against the grade. That is a big chunk missing.  

I have a Hulk #1 just like it.   As is you will get a 1.5 blue label that looks much better.  For example, my Hulk 1 (that otherwise looks VG-) got a 1.5 with the same issue.  Truth be told given how well it shows and it being a coupon that's not a story page, GPA gets you really close to 2.0 area, but if it looks FN or better, then request the green level and probably get even more.   You can request the green label in these situations, otherwise I think they default to the blue label 1.5.

3 hours ago, TC33 said:

I have a Hulk #1 just like it.   As is you will get a 1.5 blue label that looks much better.  For example, my Hulk 1 (that otherwise looks VG-) got a 1.5 with the same issue.  Truth be told given how well it shows and it being a coupon that's not a story page, GPA gets you really close to 2.0 area, but if it looks FN or better, then request the green level and probably get even more.   You can request the green label in these situations, otherwise I think they default to the blue label 1.5.

I can understand submitting a book like Hulk #1 for a potential 1.5 but not this book. It wouldn't even be worth a hundred bucks. (shrug) 

Unless it shows well otherwise and the owner wants it protected in a nice slab to show off.   Do the CGC value service at 10% off, not really for making profit, but maybe still worth it to him?