• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ASM 129 HIGH VALUE COMIC ISSUE WITH CONCERNS
1 1

14 posts in this topic

Hello all,

I acquired the shown ASM 129, 9.8 last July. After pulling it out of the safe deposit box and scanning it, I noticed the issue seen on the upper right back cover, which appears to be a dent? in the cover now.

No need to chide me regarding this, but I honestly don't know if it was there when I bought it and I missed it, or if it has developed since then.

I have a strong feeling that attempting to sell it with this "dent" will only result in returns from unsatisfied customers claiming its not 9.8.

Book was graded May 2014.

So, if you would help:

1) What is it?.............the book is definitely moving in the holder and the mark is right were the inner well curves.....

2) I have spoken with CGC and they are basically giving me the "hand" and telling me I would have to resubmit to have a grader look at it officially (meaning they won't just take a look and tell me what happened)

3) what would you do if you were sitting on $9.5K of confusion in this situation? 

Thanks for any info you can provide.

JP

FRONT CROP.jpg

IMG_2124.JPG

IMG_2125.JPG

Looks like SCS to me (Shaken Comic Syndrome).  If the comic has movement within the holder and gets jolted it very easily could've folded up on the inner well corner.  You're probably right about trying to sell the book.  If it were me I would send this to CFP comics (cfpcomics.com) ( @joeypost - board member who owns/operates ) and have him prescreen the book for a 9.8 resub.  If he thinks it has a chance he'll work on it (press/clean) but if not he'll send it back to you.  PM him and he'll walk you through the details.  I hope this helps.   

This is classic SCS (Shaken Comic Syndrome). It probably occurred during shipping. The Bank Vault did not cause it and it was probably like that when you got it. Arrange to send this book back to CGC,  in the slab. Call first and get a name so you can put an attention on it. You will have to fill out a CGC form so they have something to track it by. DO NOT OPEN THE SLAB. DO NOT give it to another presser, you only want CGC to open this. They should be able to press it and regrade it.

On 3/19/2018 at 10:22 PM, comicquant said:

Looks like SCS to me (Shaken Comic Syndrome).  If the comic has movement within the holder and gets jolted it very easily could've folded up on the inner well corner.  You're probably right about trying to sell the book.  If it were me I would send this to CFP comics (cfpcomics.com) ( @joeypost - board member who owns/operates ) and have him prescreen the book for a 9.8 resub.  If he thinks it has a chance he'll work on it (press/clean) but if not he'll send it back to you.  PM him and he'll walk you through the details.  I hope this helps.   

I agree this is SCS, however, you do not want to send this to anyone but CGC. I think even Joey would agree that the book needs to be seen by CGC, in the holder. CGC is very good about accepting responsibility and making things right. However, if anyone else opens this slab, they are no longer involved.  

On 3/19/2018 at 11:22 PM, comicquant said:

I'd love to know what happened here? That was the op's only post & he hasn't visited the site since the day after. If the book was moving it's almost a certainty it was SCS. A moving book would be a great reason for a return.

On 4/1/2018 at 1:08 PM, MGsimba77 said:

I'd love to know what happened here? That was the op's only post & he hasn't visited the site since the day after. If the book was moving it's almost a certainty it was SCS. A moving book would be a great reason for a return.

Really? Nearly every slabbed book I own moves around in it's holder... is this more of a "if it moves around extremely easily" sort of thing?

14 minutes ago, SilverSniper said:

Really? Nearly every slabbed book I own moves around in it's holder... is this more of a "if it moves around extremely easily" sort of thing?

They're not supposed to be moving at all. I only have one holder with the old original cgc label where the well is moving inside along with the book but it's not just the book that's moving. I'm okay with that but if it's only the book that's moving (not along with the well) then there's a chance it could be damaged. What holders do you own? From CGC?

1 hour ago, Artboy99 said:

seems to me that if the inner well design was straight across rather than have those bumps at the top and bottom left and right that this type of damage might be avoided.

I agree with you but I do remember, in the early days of CGC, reading where those corner wells are there to prevent damage to the corners. I'm sure they did tests and found that less damage occurred with the corner wells. In this case the well did it's job and prevented damage to the corner of the book but  allowed damage the top of the book. It may be easier to fix damage to the top edge rather than the corner ?

1 hour ago, SilverSniper said:

You are correct . A little movement is good and necessary. If the book was rigid in the inner well and the slab sustained impact, it could result in damage to the staple area, maybe even detachment. I've seen it happen. Under normal circumstances this design works. I suspect the impact, probably while shipping, was severe.

3 minutes ago, Bomber-Bob said:

You are correct . A little movement is good and necessary. If the book was rigid in the inner well and the slab sustained impact, it could result in damage to the staple area, maybe even detachment. I've seen it happen. Under normal circumstances this design works. I suspect the impact, probably while shipping, was severe.

maybe we need to post a video of shipping employees hurling boxes towards trucks. The packages land on the concrete and tumble.

yes I also suspect the damage occurred during shipping.

On 4/1/2018 at 3:08 PM, MGsimba77 said:

I agree, I think the owner of this book should have given us status. I hate it when a newbie comes on, asks our opinion, and doesn't follow up. I hope he didn't take the lazy route and sell it to some unsuspecting buyer. This example shows why you should ALWAYS get a BC scan before purchasing.