• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

“Man in the Ant Hill” OA value today.

39 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, Bronty said:

I don't really need to know how much you'd pay for each individual page ;)   Point is, a lot of them aren't that strong and the one you were guessing was the single weakest ditko splash ever is probably average to above average.

I thinking laughing man is strong, that's why my strong price. How about you, I asked you for a number for @ss-Man, let's have it!

1 minute ago, comix4fun said:

I've own a few of those backup stories and pre-hero items with no big name artists. They are fun to look at, and they are usually large art which is great, but they are so niche and novelty compared to the fervor and competition for the hero stuff. 

I thought pre-Hero Marvel silver age monster stuff was quite sought after? Especially Kirby or Ditko stories?

11 minutes ago, Bronty said:

As you say, you haven't looked at them all ;)

JIM 83 splash:

lf?set=path%5B4%2F7%2F2%2F5%2F4725291%5D

Geez Bronty, now you're editiing...who can keep up? lol

This one I'm not in love with. I'll spare you a price though except to write: very, very low. Aw eff it - ZERO.

5 minutes ago, PhilipB2k17 said:

I thought pre-Hero Marvel silver age monster stuff was quite sought after? Especially Kirby or Ditko stories?

Sought after, sure....in a younger brother of an NFL linebacker who's 6 inches shorter and 2 seconds slower in the 40 kind of way. Maybe Division III and the CFL after that.

No comparison. 

And this really isn't "monster stuff" 

One of these stories is about a horse race and jockey getting in trouble with a bookie....not exactly Fin Fang Foom. 

Edited by comix4fun

3 minutes ago, PhilipB2k17 said:

ditko panel pages from what I recall do reasonable, but the splashes as we've seen aren't great.  

at the end of the day pre hero OA is all about kirby and while its in demand the demand and value isn't close to the hero stuff.    I'd much rather have kirby pH for the relative costs but I still haven't bit that bullet either.

1 minute ago, PhilipB2k17 said:

I just checked all the backup stories from TTA 27

We've got:

2 pages about a boy who blows unbreakable bubbles

6 pages about a mirror given as a gift that's cursed

5 pages about a talking race horse that gets his jockey beat up

5 pages about a warrior who dies of lonliness on a "dead planet" (spoilers) because he doesn't know the rocks are "alive".

So for this book, there are no home runs in the pre hero valuation department. 

28 minutes ago, comix4fun said:

We've got:

6 pages about a mirror given as a gift that's cursed

5 pages about a warrior who dies of lonliness on a "dead planet" (spoilers) because he doesn't know the rocks are "alive".

I guess I shouldn’t be surprised.    When I think back to those stories, the best ones are in the heart of the date curve.     The first five or so issues of say TTA aren’t as developed, and late stories, issues after around #20 or 25 lose steam as the hero era (FF) has begun and Stan and Jacks attention starts to be elsewhere

2 hours ago, vodou said:

I thinking laughing man is strong, that's why my strong price. How about you, I asked you for a number for @ss-Man, let's have it!

1500 maybe.   And I don't think I could pay more than 600 for your up-the-nose dental work shot. ;)

46 minutes ago, Bronty said:

1500 maybe.   And I don't think I could pay more than 600 for your up-the-nose dental work shot. ;)

That's interesting, thanks. We've both been around a while, have some sort of an "art eye", neither of us have any nostalgia specific to either piece and yet come at them quite differently.

17 minutes ago, vodou said:

That's interesting, thanks. We've both been around a while, have some sort of an "art eye", neither of us have any nostalgia specific to either piece and yet come at them quite differently.

Part of it may be that the splash is somewhat similar to a somewhat notable PH cover

AmAdultFan_07_01.jpg

Edited by Bronty

16 hours ago, comix4fun said:

We've got:

Bazooka Joe and a Mr Ed prototype story, what's not to like?

Edited by The Voord

Was TTA 27 ever actually intended as a Ant-Man's origin story from the git-go?  I doubt it.  Probably something Lee later remembered and came back to (as a convenient already-written 'origin story').

I like Ant-Man.  Great costume design and the character had potential . . . but the strip suffered from lousy scripts for the most part.

Edited by The Voord

3 hours ago, The Voord said:

Great costume design and the character had potential . . . but the strip suffered from lousy scripts for the most part.

And the worst villains.  Any time I need an example of the worst characters the silver age had to offer, I go to Ant Man and the Human Torch in Strange Tales.  

As for TTA 27, I don't believe the Ant Man intention was there at all.  It's a pretty normal pre-hero story, other than the character ended up being re-used.  

4 hours ago, The Voord said:

Was TTA 27 ever actually intended as a Ant-Man's origin story from the git-go?  I doubt it.  Probably something Lee later remembered and came back to (as a convenient already-written 'origin story').

I like Ant-Man.  Great costume design and the character had potential . . . but the strip suffered from lousy scripts for the most part.

I am going to go with "No" as to whether he was actually intended to be the costumed hero he eventually became. When the hero wave was being put in motion he must have co-opted it. 

He became Marvel's shrinky-dink, scientist, mini-hero...yada yada to match DC's shrinky-dink, scientist, mini-hero who had premiered roughly a year before Ant-Man. 

I like that Ditko buffalo-shot* splash. Unlike the Tos 29 and JIM 83 examples, it's overtly Ditko work. I think it would be a nice piece for a collector who likes SA stuff and wants a Ditko. 

* buffalo shot =  rear end, in MST3K speak

Edited by KirbyJack
-