• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comic Prints, Limited & Open Edition

56 posts in this topic

Since the comic print market has absolutely exploded in popularity the last 5+ years and considering prints are one of my single favorite collecing hobbies, I figured it might be nice to have a thread on these boards that focused on people's print collections/purchases. I just got done taking pictures of many of my newer prints for insurance purposes so I figure I would start things off by posting some of those up. And sorry for the slightly blurry pics. I have really unsteady hands. I will start using a tripod for all future uploads. 

IMG_8334.1.thumb.jpg.dbed93d310160750fb1489adda193aa4.jpgIMG_8338.1.thumb.jpg.45ae0e2d3e2fbafe82143c1d6f395921.jpgIMG_8336.1.thumb.jpg.ccaf3429c1420987956ee1112f4088b3.jpgIMG_8337.1.thumb.jpg.65f95c1bbbc6e133676b4c2786dab94c.jpgIMG_8339.1.thumb.jpg.5e07afeea39faf5cdafb3124d617fef7.jpg
IMG_8341.1.thumb.jpg.a5c5519e3e693b07bd6f63a0fb5dbfed.jpgIMG_8342.1.thumb.jpg.5b651b0ab8b2dfa4545c2044112b53c4.jpgIMG_8347.1.thumb.jpg.f29a717fa7a7710c11f8cde2dce1cc16.jpgIMG_8350.1.thumb.jpg.b2baf942d18de1f069f24873050aba56.jpgIMG_8348.1.thumb.jpg.0da44254948b7ca9e8d9e0d2e4b6f660.jpgIMG_8349.1.thumb.jpg.1334dedcf94a7a99337539e330e3251e.jpg5ab103bcabbe9_GothamCitySirens6.1.jpg.b2aea965ca06763413dc831efdd6782b.jpg5ab103b893cee_GothamCitySirens4.1.jpg.908ef8ec53deba427dc1485e38724146.jpg5ab104df88ac8_GothamCitySirens2.1.thumb.jpg.21ec76834221c3b8e4396e82de007aa7.jpgwoman-wonder578859-prints.1.jpg.eda0fe0e7ac446ad1948e0371909f2f2.jpgsupergirl-sha-prints.1.jpg.657bb57050c0f16d1adfe987764e7a7d.jpg

Edited by OrangeCrush

3 hours ago, F For Fake said:

I'm not a big print guy, for the same reason I don't buy a lot of original art anymore: I want to SEE the stuff I'm buying, and I'm just about out of wall space. If it's just sitting around in a portfolio, I feel like that's sort of defeating the purpose of owning it.

That being said, I have my weaknesses.

Mondo posted up the remaining stock (or at least the first round of it) from their recent BTAS show. Most of the stuff sold out in about 30 second or so. The original print runs on these were mostly around 100-150 for the variants and 250 for the regulars, so after the gallery show I imagine they only had a handful for sale on the site. So, no big surprise on the fast sellouts. I managed to snag two of the variants that I wanted. Missed out on couple more. That's just how things roll with Mondo. Happy to have these three headed my way.

PCC_DemonQuest_Reg_Sm_1024x1024.png

PCC_DemonQuest_Var_Sm_1024x1024.png

PCC_IAmtheNight_Var_Sm_1024x1024.png

Very nice prints!! Part of me is really bummed out I stopped collecting Mondo prints as they really do produce some stellar prints. I was up to roughly 70 prints when I finally threw in the towel and sold my collection. I just could no longer support the business model Mondo has in place. Not only have bots become a bigger and bigger problem, but they have also refused to increase edition sizes even tho the popularity and the number of people trying to buy Mondo print has increased at least 10 fold over the last 5-6 years. Out of all of the print markets I have collected in over the last 20+ years, Mondo is without question the worst in regards to gauging proper edition sizes. If I was lucky I would get 1 out of every 5-10 print that I would try and buy and I refuse to spend 3-5 times the MSRP just weeks after a prints release. I wrote Mondo at least 10 emails during the last couple years I collected then, expressing my disappointment in the way they were handling the market and they just didn't care. That much was very clear to see from the replies I got from Mondo. They don't care if flippers wind up buying them and the real collectors have to pay ridiculous sums of money to obtain a print. Again, as long as they are selling out and making their money, thier all good. Thier refusal to take these issues seriously finally made me throw the towel in. I did wind up making around $5,500 in profit on the roughly 70 Mondo prints I sold when I finally got out of the market so at least there's that.

As for the whole portfolio topic, this I have to disagree with wholeheartedly. I absolutely LOVE kicking back on my couch and browsing through my various portfolios. Its like reading an oversized art book, just with much bigger pictures. I browse various portfolio's of mine at least once or twice a week so at least for me, having prints in portfolio's doesn't have any ill effect on how often I view the actual prints I store in portfolio's. Here is a picture of some of my 13x19 and 11x17 portfolios that I have stored in one of my smaller closets. 

IMG_8393.thumb.jpg.436c62e6878259a8bd1b3c68fc176778.jpg

The taller portfolio's on the left are Itoya 13x19 Profolio Professional Portfolio's and the smaller one's on the right are Itoya 11x17 Profolio Professional portfolio's. I absolutely love those portfolio's as they are padded, which makes them super comfortable to look through, and Itoya's Polyglass pages are just crystal clear so the artwork looks amazing. Even Prat's Start 4 18x24 portfolio's are extremely comfortable to look through while kicking back on your couch. Just because prints are stored in a portfolio doesn't mean you can't enjoy them like any other piece of art you own. In fact, as much as I loved framed artwork up on the wall, I actually enjoy browsing through my portfolio's more as when your sitting down browsing through artwork in your portfolio's...well, you can really take your time and really appreciate every aspect of the print. Its just not the same doing that with prints that are hung on the wall. 

As for frames and wall space, that isn't an issue for me at all as I matte and frame all of my own prints, something I HIGHLY recommend everyone learn how to do themselves. Not only will it save you a CR*PLOAD of money, but you can also be sure its matted archivally since your doing it yourself. On top of that its very easy to learn and the equipment you need to matte your own prints is very inexpensive. The money you will save on just 1 or 2 prints being framed professionally will be enough to buy everything you need. And the best part about doing your own framing and matting is it gives you the ability to switch out the prints you have framed. As I have stated in previous threads, I can switch out any print I have in a frame in just a couple of minutes tops. In fact, like 2-3 times a year I wind up switching out all of the framed artwork in my house. I have 3 Light Impressions boxes full of matted comic artwork, 2 boxes of matted photography prints by other photographers I know (we get together every so often and trade prints) and I have 8 boxes full of matted photography prints of my own photography work. So I literally have a crapload of matted artwork that I can have up on my wall in just a matter of minutes. 

Anyways, as always to each their own. All I can say is that I enjoy my prints all the time including the prints that aren't framed and up on my wall. 

Edited by OrangeCrush

Here is one print I can't wait to get. I didn't realize it had gone up for order and by the time I did realize it, they were sold out. So I got on Sideshow's waitlist, but I never expected in a million years that it would wind up converting. Someone obviously defaulted on their payment as I got a notice last week that my waitlist converted. According to the tracking info, it should be arriving tomorrow. 

dc-comics-wonder-woman-amazon-warrior-fine-art-print-sideshow-500530-02.jpg.0b3321388066648ef42d379ffbe802a9.jpg

dc-comics-wonder-woman-amazon-warrior-fine-art-print-sideshow-500530-09.thumb.jpg.65ee3d69fe1fa6d0d0bb6eddd69af876.jpg

Olivia De Berardinis has been absolutely killing it as of late, especially with her Wonder Woman prints. This is her 3rd Wonder Woman print. I really didn't care for the 2nd print as the colors behind Wonder Woman were just too saturated for my taste, but the first Wonder Woman print she made, along with the 3rd one I posted up above are just amazing prints. I can't wait to display the 2 side by side. Here is a pic of the first Wonder Woman print by Olivia. Its one of my all time favorite Wonder Woman prints! I am extremely thankful I was able to get a copy at the MSRP. 

dc-comics-wonder-woman-diana-of-themyscira-premium-art-print-500535-07.jpg.1ff9fe40bcde087558ac76f0a546a649.jpg

dc-comics-wonder-woman-diana-of-themyscira-premium-art-print-500535-03.thumb.jpg.05d0bd451f063150e25e7f8e8d06bfb1.jpg

Edited by OrangeCrush

Here are just a few of mine that I have. I love the signed Bob Kane piece along with a Batman print from James O'Barr and Glenn Fabry. Also added a Batman 700 print this past weekend signed by David Finch from MCM Birmingham. 

JsQXdZxh.jpg 

h66ctt9h.jpg 

Edited by SpeedforceKJ

Re: Mondo..a company that carefully avoids flooding the market with product doesn't sound that terrible in this day and age. they want to keep their stuff exclusive I guess.

17 hours ago, the blob said:

Re: Mondo..a company that carefully avoids flooding the market with product doesn't sound that terrible in this day and age. they want to keep their stuff exclusive I guess.

There is a VERY big difference between having proper edition sizes and flooding the market. Actually gauging proper edition sizes is one of the easiest things in the entire print market. If prints sell out in a matter of minutes then the edition sizes are too small. If prints linger for months and months on end without selling out then the edition sizes are too big. A print with a proper edition size will sell out in a timely manner, but it won't sell out too fast and it won't sell out too slow. Sideshow's premium art prints are a perfect example of a print line that has had edition sizes that are pretty much spot on given the amount of demand there is in the market for those prints. 

Edited by OrangeCrush

10 minutes ago, OrangeCrush said:

There is a VERY big difference between having proper edition sizes and flooding the market. Actually gauging proper edition sizes is one of the easiest things in the entire print market. If prints sell out in a matter of minutes then the edition sizes are too small. If prints linger for months and months on end without selling out then the edition sizes are too big. A print with a proper edition size will sell out in a timely manner, but it won't sell out too fast and it won't sell out too slow. Sideshow's premium art prints are a perfect example of a print line that has had edition sizes that are pretty much spot on given the amount of demand there is in the market for those prints. 

I guess their business model works for them. It lets them instantly sell out prints that imho are not all that interesting.

11 minutes ago, the blob said:

I guess their business model works for them. It lets them instantly sell out prints that imho are not all that interesting.

Of course the business model works for them as speculators and investors now make up a significant portion of the people collecting in all of the various collectible markets, especially those dealing with limited editions. And those speculators and investors are making a killing in the Mondo market and have been for years. That doesnt change the fact that the people who wind up getting screwed are the people who legitimately want to collect these prints and not just flip them on eBay. Everyone is entitled to buy as they see fit. Myself, I refuse to support companies that put flippers above legitimate collectors. 

Edited by OrangeCrush

23 hours ago, OrangeCrush said:

Very nice prints!! Part of me is really bummed out I stopped collecting Mondo prints...

I get it, but it's not an issue for me, really. As I said, I don't really collect prints, for the most part, but i DO collect vinyl, so I am very much used to their whole deal. I have pretty much never missed out on any of their limited vinyl releases that I wanted, and with prints and other collectibles, can probably count on one hand the items I really wanted that I didn't get. And if I didn't get it, it doesn't bother me. Plenty of other junk to blow my money on, so I don't sweat the stuff I don't get. But I understand where you're coming from, i have read lots (and lots!) of angry comments from folks who miss out on the stuff they want. I get it. I just don't get worked up over it.

As for the whole portfolio topic, this I have to disagree with wholeheartedly. I absolutely LOVE kicking back on my couch and browsing through my various portfolios. Its like reading an oversized art book, just with much bigger pictures...

I get that too, but again, it's just not for me. I used to have several itoyas with original art and prints (and smaller ones for autographed 8 x 10's, and junk like that) but a few years ago came to the realization that I outlined above: if I can't see it, I don't need it. I am just not the sort of person to sit back with a portfolio and flip through it.  Just not something I'm interested in doing. But different strokes and all that, seems like you're quite pleased with it, and it's certainly a handsome collection. Just not my thing. Same for self framing. I've read a lot about it and I've seen some neat results, but it's just not worth my time.

Here is one print I can't wait to get. I didn't realize it had gone up for order and by the time I did realize it, they were sold out. So I got on Sideshow's waitlist, but I never expected in a million years that it would wind up converting. Someone obviously defaulted on their payment as I got a notice last week that my waitlist converted. According to the tracking info, it should be arriving tomorrow. 

dc-comics-wonder-woman-amazon-warrior-fine-art-print-sideshow-500530-02.jpg.0b3321388066648ef42d379ffbe802a9.jpg

dc-comics-wonder-woman-amazon-warrior-fine-art-print-sideshow-500530-09.thumb.jpg.65ee3d69fe1fa6d0d0bb6eddd69af876.jpg

Olivia De Berardinis has been absolutely killing it as of late, especially with her Wonder Woman prints. This is her 3rd Wonder Woman print. I really didn't care for the 2nd print as the colors behind Wonder Woman were just too saturated for my taste, but the first Wonder Woman print she made, along with the 3rd one I posted up above are just amazing prints. I can't wait to display the 2 side by side. Here is a pic of the first Wonder Woman print by Olivia. Its one of my all time favorite Wonder Woman prints! I am extremely thankful I was able to get a copy at the MSRP. 

dc-comics-wonder-woman-diana-of-themyscira-premium-art-print-500535-07.jpg.1ff9fe40bcde087558ac76f0a546a649.jpg

dc-comics-wonder-woman-diana-of-themyscira-premium-art-print-500535-03.thumb.jpg.05d0bd451f063150e25e7f8e8d06bfb1.jpg

I love Olivia's stuff, but I don't really collect prints (as I have now unnecessarily repeated ad nauseum) , so I've skipped most of these releases. That being said, I believe I have the latest Pfeiffer Catwoman piece coming to me as a gift from my wife, for our 10 year anniversary...which is two years away. She likes to buy me stuff and hang onto it for a while, because I will inevitably forget all about it by the time I receive it as a gift. In this instance I asked her last week "Should I go ahead and get that Pfeiffer Catwoman piece, or is it possible that I may be receiving it somewhere down the line?" To which she replied "I'd just forget about that, if I were you."  Fair enough! I look forward to forgetting about it and being surprised in two years.

Here it is for anyone that hasn't seen it yet. I've enjoyed all of the Pfeiffer Catwoman pieces that Olivia did for Sideshow, but this was the only one that I absolutely had to have (I guess it sold out, as I couldn't find it on their site anymore):

500201_press01.jpg

Today Mondo put up the rest of the BTAS pieces. These sold out even faster this time, I'd estimate less than 30 seconds. Of course, with edition sizes in the 100-275 range, and these just being leftovers from the gallery show, I wouldn't be surprised if they have less than a couple dozen of these in stock. I don't know why they even bother announcing the sale, as it only seems to people off when they sell out. Oh well. 

So, proving once again that I'm an enormous hypocrite, the man who has now stated several times that he does not buy prints, managed to pick up these five prints this morning. The Cats were what I really wanted, and I snagged all of my "must haves" except Harley and Ivy. All in all I'm pleased.

PCC_Cat_theClaw_Reg_Sm_1024x1024.png

PCC_PrettyPoison_Sm_1024x1024.png

PCC_Trial_Reg_SM_1024x1024.png

PCC_ClockKing_Sm_1024x1024.png

PCC_Cat_theClaw_Var_Sm_1024x1024.png

Edited by F For Fake

1 hour ago, the blob said:

For a guy who isn't really into prints you seem to buy a lot of them.....

I know! I swear I really don't! I mean, before I bought all of these BTAS prints (only because BTAS is my weakness) I swear, i haven't bought a print since...uh...well, carp, it was only 2 weeks ago. I really am a hypocrite!

Moot point for me. Never in a million years would my wife ever let me display any of these. Maybe a wonder woman one, but it would need to look more like linda carter than gadot.

There are a lot of Internet boutique stores out there today that cater to the flipper with so called "limited" items. It seems like the items go to insiders, people using bots (automated purchase assistance), or people who just get lucky. It's one thing to be limited but another to make items limited when you know the market demand is far larger. It is upsetting but I don't think Mondo prices are what they used to be a few years ago. Unless it's a print of a popular movie by one of their hyped artists. Still if you follow the market and get a feel for what's popular and what isn't, you kind of know when to get a Mondo print early, usually after a gallery or convention show for their better artists, or when to wait a few months down for the hype to die out for their normal releases. Also Mondo may have started the limited pop culture print market with movie screenprints but there are other options that are just as good as Mondo and without the hassle because they don't have the Mondo name and flippers don't want them.

I have this Indiana Jones print on the way. It was an open / timed edition for a few days. The artist also made one for the original Star Wars trilogy.

indianajones-gabz-regular-full-700x467.j

Also I have this Batman Mask of the Phantasm. It's still available and I think the best Batman animated series print I've seen. Limited to 325 it would be gone by now if it was from Mondo.

161562beaa490728bc9b9107405b1d29.jpg

This Wonder Woman movie print was an open / timed edition.

MartinAnsinWWregular.jpg

Mondo does make open / timed editions on occasion when they know a lot of people want them and they can work a deal with the studio. I have this Rogue One. There is a low run variant for people that still want one to flip though. I prefer the colors on the open edition.

QBgxW0B.jpg

Also some artists release prints directly. Here is a recent Blade Runner one I purchased which I think is kind of cool. I think artistic nudity is ok here last I checked.

Zhora.thumb.jpg.94233f625250bc0848841f9383c1ba18.jpg

Edited by GeneticNinja

12 hours ago, GeneticNinja said:

There are a lot of Internet boutique stores out there today that cater to the flipper with so called "limited" items. It seems like the items go to insiders, people using bots (automated purchase assistance), or people who just get lucky. It's one thing to be limited but another to make items limited when you know the market demand is far larger. It is upsetting but I don't think Mondo prices are what they used to be a few years ago. Unless it's a print of a popular movie by one of their hyped artists. Still if you follow the market and get a feel for what's popular and what isn't, you kind of know when to get a Mondo print early, usually after a gallery or convention show for their better artists, or when to wait a few months down for the hype to die out for their normal releases. Also Mondo may have started the limited pop culture print market with movie screenprints but there are other options that are just as good as Mondo and without the hassle because they don't have the Mondo name and flippers don't want them.

I have this Indiana Jones print on the way. It was an open / timed edition for a few days. The artist also made one for the original Star Wars trilogy.

indianajones-gabz-regular-full-700x467.j

Also I have this Batman Mask of the Phantasm. It's still available and I think the best Batman animated series print I've seen. Limited to 325 it would be gone by now if it was from Mondo.

161562beaa490728bc9b9107405b1d29.jpg

This Wonder Woman movie print was an open / timed edition.

MartinAnsinWWregular.jpg

Mondo does make open / timed editions on occasion when they know a lot of people want them and they can work a deal with the studio. I have this Rogue One. There is a low run variant for people that still want one to flip though. I prefer the colors on the open edition.

QBgxW0B.jpg

Also some artists release prints directly. Here is a recent Blade Runner one I purchased which I think is kind of cool. I think artistic nudity is ok here last I checked.

Zhora.thumb.jpg.94233f625250bc0848841f9383c1ba18.jpg

Yeah, I am not terribly fond of Mondo's practices, but I do like a lot of their stuff, so I just pick up the stuff I like (if I'm lucky) for myself, and if I miss out, no big deal. But I am primarily a vinyl collector with Mondo, and while some of that stuff sells fast, i don't think it's ever been as brutal as their gallery print leftover sales, and what's more, these days they are going back to press on a lot of the sold out vinyl. For instance, I sold my Jaws OST when the prices went nuts, then bought it again when they rereleased it a few weeks ago. Same with The Fifth Element, and a few others. I waffled on Atomic Blonde until it finally sold out, but they put that one back up recently as well. So at least there's a bit more flexibility with their vinyl.

Man, I LOVE that Blade Runner piece. Must keep telling myself the lie that I have repeated several times now: I don't collect prints. I don't collect prints. I don't collect prints...