• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Weapon H #1---yes I caved
1 1

59 posts in this topic

Reviews are good and I'm interested because it's hulk with claws and an adamantium skeleton plus all the other mutant DNA they threw in there. Much more dangerous than the regular hulk. I don't see how wolverine has a chance at all tho. 

On 3/22/2018 at 11:13 AM, ygogolak said:

Miles Morales WAS in an alternate universe. It made a lot of sense at the time to reintroduce 50 year old characters into current life and society.

This character, from what I understand, was made in a lab. So, if you have a problem with this, I would say also with X-23 then?

Neither interest me and are just a regurgitation of said Spiderman and Wolverine (but with some newer/millenial edge (shrug)). 

But we don't need to re-hash that.  It's been re-hashed, so to each his own.

Just feel like the House of Ideas is running out of ideas by jamming the Hulk and Wolverine into one character.  (Carnage-Goblin too).  

1 hour ago, Mercury Man said:

Neither interest me and are just a regurgitation of said Spiderman and Wolverine (but with some newer/millenial edge (shrug)). 

But we don't need to re-hash that.  It's been re-hashed, so to each his own.

Just feel like the House of Ideas is running out of ideas by jamming the Hulk and Wolverine into one character.  (Carnage-Goblin too).  

carnage + goblin actually gets me excited if it becomes an evolution of either character into one.    carnage has been a great villain, and he was a ' what if ' evolution of the venom idea by putting a nut job in a venom symniote.  if they now put the symbiot over a highly intelligent but quite insane nutjob who already has own powers and back story with spidey.   its one of those, cant miss scenarios for me.  

i laughed at the idea of Weapon H...  i still think "where can it really go?"  ... but...... after reading initial reviews, i might give it a go to see if it's a decent read for a few issues. 

8 hours ago, MGH said:

i laughed at the idea of Weapon H...  i still think "where can it really go?"  ... but...... after reading initial reviews, i might give it a go to see if it's a decent read for a few issues.

I am giving it a try.  But I don't know if this will be a regular pull.  

On 3/22/2018 at 6:52 PM, jason4 said:

Weapon h looks really cool. Most hybrid characters don't interest me but this one does. I got this cover from Crain coming from amorphous comics as soon as it's ready: 

IMG_3485.PNG

They should have given Wendigo claws also and said the winner must battle "Weapon W"! :screwy:

On 3/22/2018 at 11:13 AM, ygogolak said:

Miles Morales WAS in an alternate universe. It made a lot of sense at the time to reintroduce 50 year old characters into current life and society.

This character, from what I understand, was made in a lab. So, if you have a problem with this, I would say also with X-23 then?

My only complaint about this character is that it's entirely unnecessary & bland. I read the intro of the character & subsequent issues with him in Weapon X & nothing about it struck me with an urge to know more. Nothing about his story was compelling at all. I didn't care about his personality (or lackthereof) or really see any future for it. It seemed like a throw-away character. Mosaic redux. 

12 hours ago, Doktor said:

My only complaint about this character is that it's entirely unnecessary & bland. I read the intro of the character & subsequent issues with him in Weapon X & nothing about it struck me with an urge to know more. Nothing about his story was compelling at all. I didn't care about his personality (or lackthereof) or really see any future for it. It seemed like a throw-away character. Mosaic redux. 

Interesting you mention Mosaic. That was a completely new character that completely flopped. From what I have heard it was a poor design.

You take two classic characters who have no need for each other's mutations and put them together it's a hit.

Perfect example of what readers gravitate towards.

18 minutes ago, ygogolak said:

Interesting you mention Mosaic. That was a completely new character that completely flopped. From what I have heard it was a poor design.

You take two classic characters who have no need for each other's mutations and put them together it's a hit.

Perfect example of what readers gravitate towards.

Mosaic was a editorially created character that existed for no reason except for diversity points (black inhuman when the vast majority were white) & was instantly given his own book before he even appeared in a single issue & had a chance to connect with an audience. And because his intro was so bland (so as to not step on the toes of whatever was going to be done in the solo series), nobody cared enough about the character to follow him to a solo series. (Not to mention that there was already this exact power-set character from the NYX series except a mutant that they could have used if they really wanted to) If they wanted Mosaic to succeed, either intro him in his own solo book or make his intro interesting enough & with enough personality & character to get fans to think "oh, I'm curious what this guy's motivation is? How does he cope with [insert flaw in powers or character]?" or something else. But "he can jump into bodies" was all we got. That's a power set. Not a character.

This was the exact same thing. A character that already had a solo-series planned before he ever appeared & even tho his solo was going to be written by the same writer that intro'd him, his intro was so boring that most people didn't care to want to know more. There wasn't a single panel of his WoMD crossover & Weapon X issues that got me even mildly interested in knowing more about him. Do something to compel me to want to know more. Concept alone can pique interest, but once you've released the concept into the wild, the execution of it matters far more than the concept itself.

To your point tho that gluing 2 popular characters together is appealing to readers?; Yes, to a degree. But when there's already a glut of carbon copies of each of them running around simultaneously, the novelty wore off before the character was introduced. There's like 9 Wolverines already & a half dozen Hulks. The last thing anyone is screaming for right now is a boring copy of both of them amalgamated together. The only "more wolverine" and "more hulk" anyone is asking for is the real Logan & the real Bruce. If this was a universe with 1-2 Wolverines and a Hulk & a She-Hulk only, then maybe people would be into this. But doing it in 2017/2018? It's just throwing another carbon copy on top of a stack of them.

And it also didn't bother to explain where all the Adamantium that covers his bones goes & why his bones aren't sticking out everywhere when he's in human form. He can't "grow" adamantium over his bones & his Hulking ability doesn't affect foreign elements inside the body.

1 hour ago, Doktor said:

This was the exact same thing. A character that already had a solo-series planned before he ever appeared & even tho his solo was going to be written by the same writer that intro'd him, his intro was so boring that most people didn't care to want to know more. There wasn't a single panel of his WoMD crossover & Weapon X issues that got me even mildly interested in knowing more about him. Do something to compel me to want to know more. Concept alone can pique interest, but once you've released the concept into the wild, the execution of it matters far more than the concept itself.

I agree with some of your points (eg. how a character should be intro'd properly), though I think this part is incorrect. I didn't following WMD story line when it came out, but after the fact, what I read online was that most people who read it enjoyed it, and it was that popularity that made Weapon H get his own book (to be written by Greg Pak the same writer), I never saw anywhere that the solo title was always planned from the start?

Also, again I haven't read it myself yet (though I did buy it on Comixology during the big sale 2 weeks ago), the articles / reviews I saw was that it was actually well-written and interesting, hence the reason it got its own solo title. Obviously I don't disagree that you found it boring (we all like what we like), I just don't feel that you can necessarily generalize that to "most people", when it seemed like that wasn't the case.

36 minutes ago, CKinTO said:

I agree with some of your points (eg. how a character should be intro'd properly), though I think this part is incorrect. I didn't following WMD story line when it came out, but after the fact, what I read online was that most people who read it enjoyed it, and it was that popularity that made Weapon H get his own book (to be written by Greg Pak the same writer), I never saw anywhere that the solo title was always planned from the start?

Also, again I haven't read it myself yet (though I did buy it on Comixology during the big sale 2 weeks ago), the articles / reviews I saw was that it was actually well-written and interesting, hence the reason it got its own solo title. Obviously I don't disagree that you found it boring (we all like what we like), I just don't feel that you can necessarily generalize that to "most people", when it seemed like that wasn't the case.

You may be correct, however that's an awful fast turnaround to launch a solo after only an appearance or maybe 2. From August (1st appearance) to March (1st solo issue) is basically right on the border of "determine if it's a popular enough new character to decide to do a solo or just a flash in the pan, get a proposal for story direction, hire creators, get a few issues written/drawn/inked/lettered/colored, and then released". Even books that were assigned back in July aren't hitting the shelf for another month or 3 (Spencer on ASM, Coates on Cap, etc). so I'm very inclined to believe that the decision was essentially made before the 1st appearance that it was going to get a solo series. But maybe giving themselves enough lead time so that if the character flops, they can still scrap it before it gets too far along. I very much doubt it was in any way organic. They planned to do it & because they didn't get any significant dislike for the character, they forged ahead.

That being said, the WoMD story was alright in itself. I guess what I'm saying is that this was a character that didn't get me curious enough to care to want more. And of those comic buying friends that also checked it out, they had the same response. I guess we'll see if it lasts past 6-8 issues. Or if the novelty wears off as fast as I expect. Because design aside (which I admit is cool), they need to really improve the character from what we got in WoMD & Weapon X. Because he had a personality as interesting as a beige wall.

Edited by Doktor

Did anyone get a shipping notice from amorphous for the Crain variant? It said end of march but nothing yet. I also see the trade dress has a bid at 50$ on eBay so I think you could say it's a hot book already. I paid 20 from amorphous lol.

On 4/4/2018 at 10:53 AM, MGH said:

I got mine from frankies and got a postage notification late last week. 

Got my notice today. Amorphous is a good company to order from. Frankies sounds legit as well.