• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What are your preferences?
1 1

28 posts in this topic

All other things being equal, would you rather have a book that has general wear spread out evenly, or a book that has a couple major(ish) flaws but otherwise very nice? This is in reference to lower grade copies. I found myself in this dilemma recently and it was a brutal internal struggle...

While I have your attention, what are your “deal breakers”? Such as writing, PQ, rust, pieces missing, miswraps, etc...

To answer my own question:

I find myself gravitating towards books with general wear vs glaring defects, even if the rest of the book is nicer. I’m a little OCD so I value symmetry, and if a single flaw is overwhelming I tend to focus on it...

Writing and rust are hard stops for me, I don’t do anything below OW, and I’m starting to value a good wrap more and more...

Edited by Callaway29

I might be in the minority here, but PQ doesn't bother me as much. I will do CR-OW or CR (depending on the book) definitely not brittle. Probably because the book is encased and I won't see the pages. My big hang up are decent sized pieces missing, cover detached, or incomplete. I'll take spine ticks, some marvel chipping, medium to lighter creases. I probably have a lower price range than a lot of folks here though!

As a self proclaimed lower-grade-afficionado, I prefer books with one or two big flaws. I have a TOS 57 that looks great in the mylar, but has a complete and neat spine split. Doesn't really bother me at all. I have a really nice ASM28 (black cover) with a 2" tear through the entire book. The blacks are really nice on that book, and I think it looks much better than a lot of books with higher technical grades.

Now, the kicker is the nature of the major flaw. I hate water damage, and front cover writing, and tape pulls. So...to each his own.

15 minutes ago, elibowman said:

As a self proclaimed lower-grade-afficionado, I prefer books with one or two big flaws. I have a TOS 57 that looks great in the mylar, but has a complete and neat spine split. Doesn't really bother me at all. I have a really nice ASM28 (black cover) with a 2" tear through the entire book. The blacks are really nice on that book, and I think it looks much better than a lot of books with higher technical grades.

Now, the kicker is the nature of the major flaw. I hate water damage, and front cover writing, and tape pulls. So...to each his own.

Oh yea, I don’t do tape...another hard stop. But I can live with water stains. 

I'd most likely take general wear on a lower-grade book over a few significant flaws. Really, I'm primarily a presentation guy so miswraps/miscuts are a real repellant moreso than some of the "significant" flaws mentioned. I kind of agree on the writing thing, too. I've passed on a  few books that were on my hit list in the right grade because of writing, but those were on the higher end, grade-wise. Mid-to-low grade GA with writing would probably be fine with me.

Edited by Martin Sinescu

4 hours ago, KirbyJack said:

Hey, DrRod, I'm curious as to why a detached cover is a deal breaker for you, as it sounds like you're a slab-only guy.

Not to just single you out, but it's something I'm hearing more and more. What am I missing?

Most of my collection is un-slabbed (stuff I bought when I was younger) but I am moving towards buying mostly slabs or items I want to be slabbed. As far as a detached cover... I guess I just feel I want a 'complete' still intact comic. If there was a rare Golden Age Comic that I could only afford with cover detached... yes I may go for it. 

Maybe I'm looking at it wrong though, and I'd love to hear your thoughts. Why would you overlook this defect? (serious question)

13 minutes ago, Djrodunchained said:

Most of my collection is un-slabbed (stuff I bought when I was younger) but I am moving towards buying mostly slabs or items I want to be slabbed. As far as a detached cover... I guess I just feel I want a 'complete' still intact comic. If there was a rare Golden Age Comic that I could only afford with cover detached... yes I may go for it. 

Maybe I'm looking at it wrong though, and I'd love to hear your thoughts. Why would you overlook this defect? (serious question)

i overlook and have no problem with  detached covers on slabbed books because its in the holder already , often times still looks great, and can be had for a fraction of the price !

53 minutes ago, 1950's war comics said:

i overlook and have no problem with  detached covers on slabbed books because its in the holder already , often times still looks great, and can be had for a fraction of the price !

Mostly that. I feel the book is complete if the cover is there ( CGC agrees), and presentation is still really great!

In mid grade and lower books, I'd prefer a few major defects and, of course, strongly prefer them on the back of the book than the front, since it's the front side of the cover that gets nearly all my attention.  A clean, flat front cover with good inks and gloss and staples free of rust are always pluses.

Edited by namisgr

As long as I can look through it and read it, I could care less what shape it is in, except if it stinks bad. Like 25 years ago I bought a stack of like 15 late 60s World's Finest comics at a junk shop and when I got them home they stunk so bad it made me gag. Smelled like they had been stored next to a rotting corpse and there wasn't even any stains on them or anything I could see. I think only one wasn't too bad and I kept it, the rest had to go in the trash.

My major no's are rusty staple areas, writing that defaces the book, water damage, major tape pulls, insect / rodent damage, and excessively tanned cover stock. 

A tragic example of writing that defaces an otherwise awesome book is the following:  

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Thor-1st-Series-Journey-Into-Mystery-87-1962-CGC-4-5-1173853006/362263819245?hash=item54589b33ed:g:aFsAAOSwrBxaoUdU

I would jump on a 4.5 CGC graded version of this book at that price pretty quickly, but in this case this book is just ruined in my eyes.  

On 3/22/2018 at 10:20 PM, Chillax23 said:

I have never understood the hate on detached covers (I don’t own any, but would consider). 

On the other hand I will not buy a book with tape, rust or writing. Although I love date stamps!

I love date stamps too! They actually make me want a book that has them more and not less :cloud9: