• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

AF15 Low grade

20 posts in this topic

What do you guys think?  1.0?  1.5  0.5?  Please note missing chunk at bottom staple of front cover.  Lots of glare, but hopefully not too much.  I honestly can't tell for sure if the staples are still secure to the cover, as there is some very old tape around this area, and I don't want to manipulate the book too much.  Centerfold is still secure though.

AF15 Front.jpeg

AF15 Rear.jpeg

AF15 1st Page.jpeg

First, congrats! 

I agree with everyone else so far, 1.0. But there is an unrestored complete .5 in the gold silver bronze sales thread that you should check out for comparison.

Also, it's no uglier/prettier than my 1.5 Avengers 1 with extra staples, a big horizontal tear and slight spine roll, so I would expect 1.0 but be pleasantly surprised, but not shocked, if it came back 1.5. Good luck! Congrats on a cornerstone of the hobby (thumbsu

18 hours ago, jaeldubyoo said:

I may be wrong, but I think the previous owner who had it graded probably already considered a press prior to submitting, especially with a book of that significance.

I don't think this book has ever been graded or pressed, but I could be wrong.  I bought it around 2001...not sure if CGC was grading back then?  Certainly wasn't as popular to do, and it was raw when I got it...seems unlikely if it was graded back then, they would have cracked it just to sell it.

15 hours ago, SteveMullins said:

I don't think this book has ever been graded or pressed, but I could be wrong.  I bought it around 2001...not sure if CGC was grading back then?  Certainly wasn't as popular to do, and it was raw when I got it...seems unlikely if it was graded back then, they would have cracked it just to sell it.

Yes. The CGC was already a very influential factor in reviving market activity and interest, and confidence in grading that would generate an entire upswing of comic value in the marketplace. Auctions of CGC graded material were already resulting in record prices, many multiples of raw prices. CGC grading already established tremendous confidence in grade and quality during 2000, 2001, 2002, its formative years, and was solely responsible for driving the hobby towards becoming a viable conduit for investors demanding to get what they were paying for.

On 3/27/2018 at 12:59 AM, c_mkv said:

i can't see this below a 1.5 unless the grader is having a bad day...please post results

Might be awhile...I think I am going to take it to MegaCon in  late May, drop it off with CGC.  I don't have any slabbed books, so this is new for me to leave my book with someone.