• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

MODERATE SPINE ROLL AF15

8 posts in this topic

Without seeing the book, I would hesitate to give advice. As a 2.5, the book is very low grade and may not be able to handle a press. Staples may pop, cover may become detached, chips may break off, etc. Also, fixing the spine may not improve the grade at all. Let's say you have a large piece missing holding it to 2.5. A straight spine will not overcome the grade degradation of the missing piece. 

7 minutes ago, smossb said:

LOTS OF PICTURES FROM EBAY SOLD ITEM THREAD.   ITEM NUMBER 222862742940  THANKS

Nice looking book, congrats. This is a tough call. I may be wrong but it looks like there was previously tape all along the spine that was removed. There is a faint trace, more visible in the gray area, that is a very light brown running parallel to the spine. The spine is obviously laden with deep creases and there is a book length reader's crease near the spine. The spine roll doesn't actually look that bad. I just don't think that flattening out the spine will improve the grade but since it was mentioned in the CGC notes it obviously mattered to them on determining the grade. I think it's worth a try but If you send it in to be pressed make sure you purchase the evaluation service.  

Pressing may fix the spine roll but I don't really see a grade bump for that. Plus you incur the cost of pressing and re-grading/shipping. The spine roll is, as pointed out, minimal. The real issue is the extensive color breaking creases that put it in the 2.5 range. Pressing will not fix those and those creases could make the press apparent. I would leave well enough alone.

It is a pretty book for the grade, especially with the minimal Marvel chipping. People who know will appreciate it as such. (thumbsu