• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Brazilian Golden Age "Grails"
3 3

62 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Point Five said:

So cool! 

Bare-chested Batman... lol

I love the Superman #12/Human Torch mashup.

+1

These are amazing! These Brazilian editions and the Australian editions are on their way to joining Canadian Whites. Gaining more interest and traction

On 3/24/2018 at 11:05 AM, sagii said:

+1

These are amazing! These Brazilian editions and the Australian editions are on their way to joining Canadian Whites. Gaining more interest and traction

Brazilian Golden Age comics are much rarer than Canadian Whites by far.
They are not even close to Brazil in rarity and importance globally.

4 hours ago, Komic Kazi said:

Did not know this. All of them are cool though in my eye. I've got two Brazilian 'MLJ' issues i picked up from Geppi's a little ways back.

17 hours ago, Komic Kazi said:

Rarity >=Some Mexicans are even scarcer than the Brazilians , but thats not the point ... , the Canadian and the Australian will always sell better and at higher price because they are written in english language ... 

Importance globally > agree with you... people like  us who collect foreigns knows the difference and knows that brazilians are much more interesting books than canadian whites or australian even if some of us cant read them 

Edited by Mijael.Levy

10 hours ago, Mijael.Levy said:

Rarity >=Some Mexicans are even scarcer than the Brazilians , but thats not the point ... , the Canadian and the Australian will always sell better and at higher price because they are written in english language ... 

Importance globally > agree with you... people like  us who collect foreigns knows the difference and knows that brazilians are much more interesting books than canadian whites or australian even if some of us cant read them 

10 hours ago, Mijael.Levy said:

Here is one of my gems 

zKbi9CEh.jpg

And this probably the rarest Brazilian i own right now , its Marvel Mystery Tales 36 Variant cover from a great unknow brazilian artist

VzZHhtGh.jpg

Two Great comic books and the Timely Comic is awesome and I remember when it came up on the market.

This is a very strong O Globo, when you find a 1943 Timely comic in 6.0 or so you have something!

O Globo artists from 1940-1945 among the best in the world, I have been pursuing this original art and our family is easily the largest owner of Brazilian Golden Age original art and this is a true white wale....

Edited by Komic Kazi

Enjoying the posts, guys. (thumbsu

On 3/24/2018 at 3:21 AM, Komic Kazi said:

Historically important among International comic collectors and easily some of these Grails are among the rarest comics in the entire world including the US.

Can you expand on this a bit more? As all this is brand new to most of us, give us some sense of the market for early Brazilian comics. Where are they bought and sold? Who are the average collectors?

Mijael brings up values too which makes me curious. In US dollars, what might some of the books in this thread sell for? Can you throw out a few numbers?

17 minutes ago, Point Five said:

Can you expand on this a bit more? As all this is brand new to most of us, give us some sense of the market for early Brazilian comics. Where are they bought and sold? Who are the average collectors?

Mijael brings up values too which makes me curious. In US dollars, what might some of the books in this thread sell for? Can you throw out a few numbers?

The Grails I posted are truly rare and even the most important collectors in the country very few have even seen one in person.
Men that have the largest collections in the country and have collected Golden Age comics for 40-70yrs.
These comics are extremely valuable and I wont quote values on them, some of these there are only a few of the known to exist and they are among the most valuable comics in the world period...

On 3/24/2018 at 9:01 AM, Point Five said:

So cool! 

On 3/24/2018 at 9:01 AM, Point Five said:

So cool! 

O Globo Juvenil No.32

Publisher O Globo Brazil 1943

The Earliest Timely & National Cross Over known to exist Globally.

This issue is most likely the 1st foreign inter-company original cross over story of American heroes.

Most of the hero stories in that era were WW II propaganda.

That would also contribute to its intrinsic cultural and historical value!

56 minutes ago, Point Five said:

People at Brazil are selling them for nothing $350 to $500 sometimes $750 USD ... these sellers dont know what they have in their hands. It would be foolish to resell them because foreign market is growing and there arent enough copies out there . We are talking about golden age books from the 40' s that survived the Brazilian tropical weather... most of the stuff out there is incomplete or restored. Kazi just brought a restored Tec 38 btw

I only resell when i have a double but i know Kazi never resells 

Edited by Mijael.Levy

On 3/26/2018 at 11:51 PM, sagii said:

Did not know this. All of them are cool though in my eye. I've got two Brazilian 'MLJ' issues i picked up from Geppi's a little ways back.

MLJ Comics from Brazil are very rare and were published by O Globo, Juvenil in the 1940's.

O Globo is easily one of the most important publishers in Global History, you may own some of the earliest NON-US MLJ comics in Global history.

Find attached here a historically important comic from O Globo.

National Comics Cross over with MLJ Comics from 1942, Easily the first cross over of these two companies world-wide decades before this happened anywere else in the world.
Globo did this on several occasions and these rare issues are extremely valuable.

Superman Cross over with Black Hood and Roy the Wonder Boy (The first known National & MLJ Crossover known to exist Globally)
You will not find these anywhere else in the world but Brazil, and once again why Brazilian comic history is so significantly important to the genre world wide.

5abc0deccee4f_MLJNATIONAL.thumb.jpg.bab0365d9400e454ea1e171c4f0ebc9c.jpg

@Komic Kazi Thanks, good to know. There was a copy of the issue you posted also up for grabs when I got the two I own. At the time what I saw as 'liberal license' and passed on( though I always wanted the Torch/Superman mash up cover once these came on my radar), I now see as 'crossover before cross over' as you stated. Still kick my self over that one.

Some interior shots; These books are THICK! I thought you got a lot for your dime when I read golden age books, but Brazilians really got a bang for their buck.

They included melting pot publishers with characters like Superman, Timelys 'Angel', Steel Sterling, and others all in one issue. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg