• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Brazilian Golden Age "Grails"
3 3

62 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, sagii said:

@Komic Kazi Please post the Brazilian 'Tec 38 to this Thread!

Detective Comics No.38+

O Lobinho No.7 & No.13 (GRAILS)

The First Appearances of the Dynamic Duo!

We just acquired this pair both were trimmed but to important to pass up no matter the condition.

Two of the rarest International Editions in the world, and in 43yrs in collecting vintage comics I have only been able to purchase three of each of these.

Published by Grande Consórcio Suplementos Nacionais, Brazil 1940-1941
5abd4a294a31c_Scan643.thumb.jpeg.458fdcd9935178188e8cfa749837befb.jpeg

Scan 641.jpeg

On 3/28/2018 at 12:21 AM, Mijael.Levy said:

People at Brazil are selling them for nothing $350 to $500 sometimes $750 USD ... these sellers dont know what they have in their hands. It would be foolish to resell them because foreign market is growing and there arent enough copies out there . We are talking about golden age books from the 40' s that survived the Brazilian tropical weather... most of the stuff out there is incomplete or restored. Kazi just brought a restored Tec 38 btw

I only resell when i have a double but i know Kazi never resells 

You will NEVER buy the grails I posted above for anywere near these numbers. You can purchase high grade Golden Age issues for these numbers such as the Canary etc.

2 hours ago, Crowzilla said:

Find these quite interesting. Looked on the Brazilian auction site and see a few early ones available, I would imagine finding them in nice shape would be quite challenging.

World's Finest

Superman

Marvel #13

Marvel #12

Marvel #21

braz1.jpg

braz2.jpg

braz3.jpg

braz4.jpg

braz5.jpg

The most important comic here is Superman No.5 which is the first published Superman in the O Globo Juvenil comic series No.23.

O Globo as a Journal first published Superman in 1939 and was the second publisher of Superman in Brazil. Gazetta published Superman in 1938.

The Gibi Mensal from 1941 No.12 and No.13 obviously low number Timely comics and among the earliest Timely Publishing in Global history. The first 12 though were published in 1940 and are extemely rare because the were supplements in Journals.

Obviously as well the Black Hood comic is important as well among the earliest publishers of MLJ Comics as well.

When you want to view comprehensive high grade issues of these I have over 5,000 photos of our 100,000 international Editions on our Flickr account.

Hope this info is helpful....

16 minutes ago, GermanFan said:

Your Flickr site is great. In Germany 3 Superman comics were printed in 1950. They are very rare. And Batman & Superman Material throughout the 50s. Marvel started in 1966.

Message me directly any of the first German Supermans and anything else from the Golden Age.

Thanks

komickazi@rocketmail.com

On 3/28/2018 at 12:21 AM, Mijael.Levy said:

People at Brazil are selling them for nothing $350 to $500 sometimes $750 USD ... these sellers dont know what they have in their hands. It would be foolish to resell them because foreign market is growing and there arent enough copies out there . We are talking about golden age books from the 40' s that survived the Brazilian tropical weather... most of the stuff out there is incomplete or restored. Kazi just brought a restored Tec 38 btw

I only resell when i have a double but i know Kazi never resells 

Lobinho No.7 & No.31

The first appearances of Batman and Wonder Woman

Gibi Mensal No.142 & No.168 from 1940

The first appearances of Human Torch and Submariner 

Gury No.73 from 1943

The first appearance of Captain America

These are all mid 5 figure key comic books in mid grade.

Marvel Mystery Comics No.1

Published by O Globo, Brazil 1940.

I have only ever seen one other one, and I have seen the collections in person of the 5 largest Golden Age collectors in the history of Brazil first hand.

This comic I consider to be the most valuable International Comic in the world and easily one of the Top 10 most valuable comics world-wide, and yes including the US.

The other one I have seen was trimmed and I made a significant offer for the comic and I wanted the comic even in the condition it was in, and the seller would not even consider selling it.

I hope one day to be able to acquire it, because after living in Brazil for 8yrs and viewing 1MM's of comics I know this is a true WHITE WALE.

Easily a high 5 figure book in low grade and in mid grade 6 figures and if you ever found a high grade of this comic let me know.

Lobinho No.7 and No.31

Published by Grande Consorcio Suplementos Nacionais, Brazil

Once again the 1st appearance's of Batman 1940 and Wonder Woman 1942

Once again significant Grail comics Lobinho No.7  is among the earliest appearances of Batman world-wide and is exclusive art to Brazil making it very collectable. Most countries have redundant covers from the US editions and Brazil is unique to the country of origin.

Most countries did not produce Batman and Superman until the 50's making Brazil very rare...

The Wonder Woman first cover appearance from 1942 once again!

What other country is even within 10 years of this comic and most 20yrs or more.

These are very important comics and what the price is what the market can bare and to the serious collector a MUST HAVE and "Not on a Budget". Just figure these will be in the many thousands if you can find them.

Gury No.73 from 1943

The first appearance of Captain America

Published by Diario da Noite, Brazil 1943

Easily one of the most valuable International Editions in the world and probably the earliest NON-US publishing of Captain America world-wide.

This comic historically important obviously because its a World War II publishing and the art is incredible and the rarity of this comic is right there with the early Timely Comics I have mentioned already.

Low grades of this 5 figures, mid grades high five figures and high grades 3-5x+++

You can find lower grade other Detective Comics from Lobinho if your lucky enough to find them for 1k+ each in low numbers and generally 500-750 US give or take in higher numbers each low to mid grade. High Grade 3x or so....

Gibi Mensal in year 1940 is pricey depending on grade no matter the issue because of the scarcity even in low grades and these 12 are almost impossible to complete I only have 10 of them.

Can you find any comic at any price of course if your lucky. 

But these are what Early National Comics and Timely Comics go for and once again in low to mid grades, and if you find High Grade low numbers of any of these unless your just extremely lucky they will cost you BIG.....

All bets are off if these are part of someones complete run or if they are HIGH GRADE.... They will be 3x-5x +++ or more in those cases....

Other valuable Brazilian comics are Planet Comics, Fight Comics and Jungle Comics from Gury in high Grade, and Fiction House in Ebal from 1948 very tuff gets and almost impossible to build a complete run.

Complete runs of any of Gibi Mensal, O Globo Juvenil and Lobinho and Gury will be well over 100,000 K in any condition.... In mid grade 2X and High Grade +++

Hope this is helpful to you all and to those getting into Brazilian Golden Age comics for the first time.

I welcome you and hope the best for you...

The best web site to find the indexes of all Brazilian comics is http://www.guiadosquadrinhos.com/

This is my personal experience on these values, and I am not a seller of comics in any way.

I have been collecting vintage comics for over 43yrs and lived and worked in Latin America for the better part of my entire adult life.

I do not claim to know everything about our genre or all Latin American comics so take what you want from this information, but I doubt many in our genre have seen as many International Edition Golden Age or Silver Age comics as our family has and this is my first hand experience.

Komic Kazi

Marvel Mystery Comics No.1 (GRAIL)

https://www.flickr.com/photos/110108265@N07/41080194182/in/dateposted-public/

Edited by Komic Kazi

I hope people get more and more interested on foreign books. They are not just "reprints" , a lot of these books have variations as the language , the colors and even the complete covers, Mexico for example made original stories and created superheroes (El enmascarado de plata , Blue Demon, La Araña Verde, to name a few) and they  even introduced Conan in the comic books for the first time (1952) . Someone very close to DC comics aparently lived in Brazil and thanks to him we have all this Superman and TEC foreign books. The Canadian editions are on the rise and they are becoming more and more expensive. I really wanted the Canadian Pep 22 auctioned at HA last month but i lost :( On the Gerber scale a foreign Golden Age book can go to 7 to 10 , so they are real treasures to me 

Edited by Mijael.Levy

3 hours ago, Mijael.Levy said:

I hope people get more and more interested on foreign books. They are not just "reprints" , a lot of these books have variations as the language , the colors and even the complete covers, Mexico for example made original stories and created superheroes (El enmascarado de plata , Blue Demon, La Araña Verde, to name a few) and they  even introduced Conan in the comic books for the first time (1952) . Someone very close to DC comics aparently lived in Brazil and thanks to him we have all this Superman and TEC foreign books. The Canadian editions are on the rise and they are becoming more and more expensive. I really wanted the Canadian Pep 22 auctioned at HA last month but i lost :( On the Gerber scale a foreign Golden Age book can go to 7 to 10 , so they are real treasures to me 

3 hours ago, Mijael.Levy said:

Hope you get that White Wale Mijael and happy hunting....

4 hours ago, sagii said:

@Komic Kazi Really enjoying this thread and the information (education) on these books. Hope this will be a Thread you bump from time to time , spotlighting these rarities . 

Will try my friend, my time is limited and our family puts tremendous demands on me but I will try from time to time.

We are going to be displaying the middle of the month a large collection of original published art and some of the rarest comics in the world in Sao Paulo, Brazil.

When we displayed at CCXP most of the artists and our National piers stopped by to share a few moments with us.

Take Care

Edited by Komic Kazi

6 hours ago, Komic Kazi said:

Gibi Mensal No.142 & No.168 from 1940

The first appearances of Human Torch and Submariner

On the surface of it, this does not seem to make sense. The first appearance of Human Torch and Submariner (in Brazil) weren't in the Brazilian version of Marvel Mystery #1?  If not, what was in that book?  Was Gibi Mensal a weekly publication? Trying to figure out how issue 142 and 168 came out the same year.

Thanks for your help and showing these great items to us.

21 minutes ago, sagii said:

...and in the meantime, a much better scan than the one i used to use to share this one. MLJ's Hangman cover

O Globo Juvenil Mensal #26 (Brazilian).jpg

Very nice , thats a high grade copy for a Brazilian , you dont see something like this very often

Edited by Mijael.Levy

16 hours ago, Komic Kazi said:

This comic I consider to be the most valuable International Comic in the world and easily one of the Top 10 most valuable comics world-wide, and yes including the US.

Is this really a 6 digit comic? 

I’m curious as to how these were produced.  I’s the interior art the same as in the American versions or was it being redrawn/copied by local artists like the covers?

Were these companies under license to do this and had established business relationships with the original publishers or were they plagiarizing?

Either way it’s very cool stuff, I’m just interested to know a bit more.

Edited by szavisca

17 hours ago, Crowzilla said:

On the surface of it, this does not seem to make sense. The first appearance of Human Torch and Submariner (in Brazil) weren't in the Brazilian version of Marvel Mystery #1?  If not, what was in that book?  Was Gibi Mensal a weekly publication? Trying to figure out how issue 142 and 168 came out the same year.

Thanks for your help and showing these great items to us.

The first 12 issues of Gibi Mensal from 1940 were distributed as s supplement to a Newspaper Journal.

The first 12 had the Journal numbers on them not 1-12, most of them were thrown away after the paper was read that day and this is why they are very rare.

On 3/31/2018 at 1:32 PM, Mijael.Levy said:

I think  4 digits but maybe i am wrong and Kazi knows a buyer who paid 6 digits ? 

Good Luck with the hunt and if you can purchase them at any price you can afford that is the most important thing.

I know the Brazilian market pretty well and I would say better then most...

Also the sales of these rare issues more then likely will never be published for security reasons in Brazil.

Also the chance of any of these above low grades coming to the public market is very unlikely....

The men that have these issues are referred directly the type of buyer willing to acquire them always.

If you get your White Wale post it...

What you should NEVER do is if you find one of these rare comics in a price that you can afford to pay is procrastinate at all...

You wont get another chance!

Once again best wishes....

On 3/31/2018 at 12:02 PM, Mijael.Levy said:

Very nice , thats a high grade copy for a Brazilian , you dont see something like this very often

Agreed and the art is just incredible on this cover its one of my favorites of the MLJ along with the Black Hood cover and the Web cover....

On 3/31/2018 at 11:41 AM, sagii said:

Two Classic MLJ covers...

Take  a look at these two High Grade beauty's...

These are from one of the best Golden Age collections in any language I have ever been able to acquire.

O Globo published both O Globo Juvenil & Gibi Mensal at the same time.

The Hangman you posted was from O Globo Juvenil and these two are from Gibi Mensal 1942 same as yours.

Enjoy

Black Hood.jpg

The Web.jpg

Edited by Komic Kazi