• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Census list of upcoming key comics
1 1

10 posts in this topic

So I want to start collecting new comics of key issues like Cameos, 1st/Full Appearances, Deaths,  ect.  I am looking for a site that would show theses things of upcoming next weeks comics.  I don't really need past issues, as CGC census works perfectly for confirming the titles.  I can read the plot of the comics that are coming out, and it does help, but would be nice if there is a website that has confirmed information. 

Thanks in advanced

yes you can google solicitations for marvel and dc for months in advance as well.  You can read short snippets/summaries of most issues so you can research which issues you want to consider buying.

Yeah I have tried both DC and Marvel apps, but they still don't state key things that are going to happen in the comic, which I understand who wants to read spoilers before reading the comic. 

Point taken is Thanos #13,  unless I Googled that exact issue and came across valid information I would have not known, or even till after the comic hits the shelves or later (sometimes before, but not always) which by then can be too late.

I am also not just looking for Marvel and DC but Image, Dark Horse, IDW and others as well.  Googling each and every comic does take time, and also doesn't really give you exact information as it gives multiple links with all of them just about giving the same story plot information. 

I try to keep up on as many comics as I can, but now I am trying to cut my costs and resort to just trying to collect key issues, which can be a little daunting. 

Edited by Nick2181

I don’t think you’ll easily find a census list.  You can watch the modern section of these chat boards for discussion topics or read bleeding cool and the like.  

A lot of people here make money speculating so I’m not sure they’ll give all of their secrets out ahead of time for free.

Is this a new low in speculation*?

This has to be one of the most ridiculous questions ever asked.

1. A new issue being hot doesn't make it a key, nor will that heat likely last.

2. Even if it is/becomes a key, that does not guarantee being particularly valuable.

3. If there existed some resource that could reliably predict hot and/or key issues in time for it to matter to speculators like you, they would all end up being overabundant in a way not seen for regularly-priced, normally-distributed issues since the early 90s, and worthless. The heat would only benefit stores (if lots of actual readers wanted them) and publishers, because they would be moving quantity. And even the stores might get screwed.

*not counting short-term speculation (AKA flipping) and its legions of lying Pump'n'Dump insufficiently_thoughtful_persons and LCS-killing vultures

On 3/24/2018 at 2:05 PM, Nick2181 said:

I don't really need past issues, as CGC census works perfectly for confirming the titles.

I don't understand what this means, nor the relevance of the CGC census to your post(s).

On 3/28/2018 at 8:57 PM, Nick2181 said:

I try to keep up on as many comics as I can, but now I am trying to cut my costs and resort to just trying to collect key issues, which can be a little daunting.

I would never buy new issues unless I was following a story and wanted to read them immediately. What's the point? Why waste the money?

Edited by Lazyboy

On 3/24/2018 at 2:05 PM, Nick2181 said:

So I want to start collecting new comics of key issues like Cameos, 1st/Full Appearances, Deaths,  ect.  I am looking for a site that would show theses things of upcoming next weeks comics.  I don't really need past issues, as CGC census works perfectly for confirming the titles.  I can read the plot of the comics that are coming out, and it does help, but would be nice if there is a website that has confirmed information. 

Thanks in advanced

So you want an easy button/app for making money through new comic book speculation ? Please leave and hangout on Facebook. We are a COLLECTOR's Society.

Step 1. Buy multiples of every new issue every week from every major publisher including variants, incentives and 2nd,3rd,4th printings.

Step 2. As soon as you get them, put one copy of each up on Feebay for auction.

Step 3. Look at the ones that sell for more than double the cover-price, those are the spec-key potentials.

Step 4. Profit!

Edited by jcjames

Go to your local comic book store and buy a copy of Previews. You will learn a lot of what is coming up 2 months ahead of time and be able to pre-order so it wont be sold out before you get your copy.  Collect what you like, there are 1000s of first appearances, death, and cameos not worth the price of the book, so don't get caught up in the hype that the movies generate because usually by the time you buy the book and slab it and get it returned the world is on to the next thing.  Walking Dead came out in 2003 with a small print run. It is been 15 years since that book and it's worth like $1000. You could waste that in few months buying every number 1 and first appearance. Or better yet, make it in a few weeks with part time job.

Anyways, welcome to the boards, hope you find some advice you like and few good comics along the way.

Edited by jaydog

Here is a foolproof method I have discovered. Start by mapping out all the comics store locations in your area and writing down the time they open on Wednesdays. Ideally you will have 1 or more stores opening at 10am, and then another store within 15-30 mins drive opening at 11am. Perfect opportunity.

So now you show up at 10am at the first store, it's not important to be the first one there, just be there when it opens. Start chatting with the clerk for a few minutes and just watch what the first few customers buy. They are the smart money, they know what is key, they have done your research for you. Let's say the first two people out the door each buy 1-2 copies of Bloodshot Salvation 9, first appearance and death of Bloodshot's dog BloodSpot. You've found the hot comic of the week! Go back and buy every last copy. The 9.8 copies are already gone probably, but there should be a bunch of 9.2s-9.6s.

Now here's where you make some REAL money. You'll need a sports car, ideally a Tesla or modified Honda. The comic store 30 minutes away opens in about 45 minutes, but the smart money is headed there right now. You need to beat them! So race there as fast as you can, make sure to map out the route ahead of time and figure out the shortcuts. Once you arrive (should be ~15 minutes before opening), wait outside the front door to secure your spot, then go on Ebay. You should bring a phone, tablet and laptop, use all 3 to go on Ebay and order every last copy of the hot comic for any price under $20. It's money in the bank. When the store opens, grab every copy of the hot comic off the shelf, pay, go home, and count your money.

I have already paid for my kid's college using this method, and within a few weeks I'll pay off my mortgage.