• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Action 1 Cgc 8.5 white in next CC auction
1 1

163 posts in this topic

16 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

And I suppose if some public spirited citizen would spring for the notes we could tell whether the rusted staples are mentioned. 

So reholdering it, submitter can ask the “rusted staples” notes not mentioned on the front label?  I have a book that has a note similar to that, thinking of reholdering to remove the pesky note....

6 minutes ago, namisgr said:
7 minutes ago, Gotham Kid said:

yes but when you look it up you have Grade Date:12/28/2017

Sure, they did a page quality review and changed it.

They seem to have been tougher on pq then than they are now.

But I'm wondering what the rationale is for no grader notes, particularly since there appears to be something important -- rusted staples -- to note.

1 minute ago, Spiderturtle said:

So reholdering it, submitter can ask the “rusted staples” notes not mentioned on the front label?  I have a book that has a note similar to that, thinking of reholdering to remove the pesky note....

They don't typically note things like that on the label anymore.  So I don't think you need to specifically request it.  "Tanning to inside covers" is another old label note that doesn't appear anymore.

11 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

They seem to have been tougher on pq then than they are now.

But I'm wondering what the rationale is for no grader notes, particularly since there appears to be something important -- rusted staples -- to note.

All depends how rusty the staples were.  Light surface rust can often be taken off while avoiding the "qualified" label.........

6 minutes ago, Tsp99 said:

All depends how rusty the staples were.  Light surface rust can often be taken off while avoiding the "qualified" label.........

I guess I'm assuming that "rusted" is worse than "rusty" and can't really be fixed.  But maybe not.

5 hours ago, comics-rock said:

Is this one of Vinny’s books?

If it's a CGC 8.5 grade with the "former" rusty staples, would this be Danny Kramer's old copy before he left the hobby?  hm

I remember Danny really stormed onto the scene back in 1994 or thereabouts and was like a sponge in asking questions and soaking up as much knowledge as he could, at the same time as scooping up as many nice quality books as he could.  Like many other collectors with deep pockets like that, he didn't stay around for the long term and was pretty much done with chasing down books after a few years.

1 hour ago, lou_fine said:
11 hours ago, Gotham Kid said:

:whatthe:

what's the scoop ?

Peter;

Is this the scoop from Scoop that you are referring to :

http://scoop.previewsworld.com/Home/4/1/73/1014?ArticleID=209106

Looks like they are going to name it the Second City Collection.

Thanks (thumbsu

Wow ! :whatthe:

"Collectors will be fighting over copies of Detective Comics #27 CGC 8.5 R and #33 CGC 9.2, Amazing Fantasy #15 CGC 7.5, Avengers #1 CGC 9.6, #2 CGC 9.8, and #4 CGC 9.6 (from a near complete Avengers run), Captain America Comics #1 CGC 7.5"

So the collection was not only made up of high grade restored copies but also high grade universal copies of same books as well.

First batch of books auctioned off

https://www.comicconnect.com/load_page.php?page=EAXXXIV_SecondCity

Edited by Gotham Kid

14 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

They don't typically note things like that on the label anymore.  So I don't think you need to specifically request it.  "Tanning to inside covers" is another old label note that doesn't appear anymore.

The gradig type notes on the label are long gone. More than 10 years gone

15 hours ago, Kevin76 said:
15 hours ago, thedude said:

this is the former old label 8.5 "Rusted staples" ow/white right? I mean it's got the same two little specks by the "N" in Action.

Action-Comics-1-CGC-VF-8.5.jpg.b95a31e12db8815f3826481bc0731156.jpg

Bump in page quality, most likely pressed with no change in grade

Maybe it's just the angle of the 2 photos, but the spine portion on the white part of the logo now seems to be a lot whiter than it was in the old slab.  (shrug)

21 minutes ago, rob_react said:
15 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

The gradig type notes on the label are long gone. More than 10 years gone

The only two that I can think of that have survived for blue labels are "detached cover" and "detached centerfold." Of course, for C, G, and R labels, the label contains more info.

26 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Maybe it's just the angle of the 2 photos, but the spine portion on the white part of the logo now seems to be a lot whiter than it was in the old slab.  (shrug)

The portion to the right of Action Comics also does. I have a feeling it's the quality of Gator's photo. I think when we see a higher res photo at some point it will reflect the less than white look more. If not though, then something was done lol.

9 hours ago, lou_fine said:

If it's a CGC 8.5 grade with the "former" rusty staples, would this be Danny Kramer's old copy before he left the hobby?  hm

I remember Danny really stormed onto the scene back in 1994 or thereabouts and was like a sponge in asking questions and soaking up as much knowledge as he could, at the same time as scooping up as many nice quality books as he could.  Like many other collectors with deep pockets like that, he didn't stay around for the long term and was pretty much done with chasing down books after a few years.

Meant a Zurzolo sale. But he put it on Facebook shortly after I posted this. 

:taptaptap: Vincent e-mailed me Friday and said nothing on the Action 1 8.5 (tsk) I can not afford that copy but the first to get the scoop would have been nice :gossip:.:whatev:

Edited by woowoo