• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Action 1 Cgc 8.5 white in next CC auction
1 1

163 posts in this topic

3 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

If they detect the replacement, the book would end up in a Conserved slab.  If there's been any rust migration, which I imagine there would be if the staples are actually rusted, then it would difficult to conceal that the staples had been replaced.

https://www.cgccomics.com/news/viewarticle.aspx?IDArticle=4083&

Yes, good point, it would have had to done before it’s first slabbing and the rust would have had to be limited to staple (s) only

Just now, fishbone said:
5 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

If they detect the replacement, the book would end up in a Conserved slab.  If there's been any rust migration, which I imagine there would be if the staples are actually rusted, then it would difficult to conceal that the staples had been replaced.

Yes, good point, it would have had to done before it’s first slabbing and the rust would have had to be limited to staple (s) only

That's also true -- not much chance that this particular book could fly under the graders' radar!

28 minutes ago, fishbone said:

Replace with vintage staples, could still get blue label

I’ve heard a few people claim doing this with success including someone with a HG Amazing Fantasy #15 and getting the blue. Just a matter of using good staples from the same period I guess.

2 hours ago, Sqeggs said:
2 hours ago, fishbone said:
2 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

That's also true -- not much chance that this particular book could fly under the graders' radar!

I thought in theory only of course, is that the graders are only supposed to be grading the book that is in front of them at the time.  (shrug)

So, in theory again, if somebody had gotten a professional to scrapped away the rust very very carefully so that it is completely unnoticeable, I assumed CGC would then be right in giving a blue label to the book.  hm

5 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

I thought in theory only of course, is that the graders are only supposed to be grading the book that is in front of them at the time.  (shrug)

So, in theory again, if somebody had gotten a professional to scrapped away the rust very very carefully so that it is completely unnoticeable, I assumed CGC would then be right in giving a blue label to the book.  hm

I think that is true of any tinkering that happens to a book, ifCGC can't detect what was done then it wasn't done.

On 3/26/2018 at 3:24 PM, lou_fine said:

It was directly as a result of your Sleepers column in CBM that I gained the foresight to snagged books like Startling 10 and Jackpot 4 when they were still kind of flying under the radar at the time.

I remember being at the Diamond Int'l Galleries Grand Opening back in '95 and fortunate enough to spot the Startling 10 and  putting it into my pile.  Fishler noticed it in in my pile and kept transferring it over into his pile of books before finally giving it back to me for good.  His rationale was that he would be able to turn that book into a major key that would "rock and roll", whereas if it was sitting in my collection, it would be locked up in there for decades going absolutely nowhere.

lol - thanks cool story. The last column I actually wrote for Gary never got to see the light of day as it was right when he was leaving as editor. It was a future-prediction type top twenty list of the Overstreet Guide values in 20 years time. I remember having AF #15 in my top ten as well as some other SA books and Gary was pretty excited thinking how it would really get people thinking. Of course, maybe if I had listened to Keith about what high-grade SA in general was going to do, I wouldn't have to work at all any more.

On 3/26/2018 at 9:09 AM, Crowzilla said:

Two million would be right at guide now, yes? Would be an interesting statement on the market (and Overstreet's historical widening of the spreads between grades) if we start seeing low grade copies bring multiples of guide, mid grade bring guide and a half, and high grade struggle to reach guide.

I believe we are already there with respect to entry level copies and other low to mid grade copies of GA keys and/or HTF classic covers, as clearly evident from many of the recent auction results.  Looks like collectors are often bidding aggressively and well into multiples of guide just to obtain a copy (even if it low grade) for their collection.  :takeit:

Hard to say about the high grades though for some of these HTF books, because they often don't come into the marketplace that often to say for sure.  hm

5 hours ago, lou_fine said:

I believe we are already there with respect to entry level copies and other low to mid grade copies of GA keys and/or HTF classic covers, as clearly evident from many of the recent auction results.  Looks like collectors are often bidding aggressively and well into multiples of guide just to obtain a copy (even if it low grade) for their collection.  :takeit:

If I had some time I'd research the prices for low/mid-grade copies of some books I've seen this happen on to see how significant the bumps really are. It feels like things have gone crazy on some books in that way- low grade and even restored books are aggressively bid up. No time for research right now, unfortunately.

11 hours ago, Crowzilla said:

lol - thanks cool story. The last column I actually wrote for Gary never got to see the light of day as it was right when he was leaving as editor. It was a future-prediction type top twenty list of the Overstreet Guide values in 20 years time. I remember having AF #15 in my top ten as well as some other SA books and Gary was pretty excited thinking how it would really get people thinking. Of course, maybe if I had listened to Keith about what high-grade SA in general was going to do, I wouldn't have to work at all any more.

Sean, do you have a copy of the article?

Even if it didn't see publication, it would be really interesting to read today.     

I really enjoyed your articles also, they were some of the very best in CBM.

22 minutes ago, Bronty said:
11 hours ago, Crowzilla said:

Sean, do you have a copy of the article?

Even if it didn't see publication, it would be really interesting to read today.     

I really enjoyed your articles also, they were some of the very best in CBM.

+1

It would indeed be interesting to see how your Top 20 in 20 managed to fare after some 20+ years.  hm

BTW:  I also enjoyed reading Keith's column as it was sure to make you feel good about your collection, no matter how down you might have been on a particular day.  Not sure if he was a pump and dump kind of dealer, but he sure knew how to pump those SA books up like they were worth a million bucks.  Guess we all should have listened to him, especially with respect to the high end SA Marvels.  lol

Any idea if he is still dealing in comics since I haven't heard anything about him for years now?  ???

17 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Any idea if he is still dealing in comics since I haven't heard anything about him for years now?  ???

Keith = Keith Contarino?

If so, a very sad end.

26 minutes ago, adamstrange said:
45 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Keith = Keith Contarino?

If so, a very sad end.

Yes, that is the Keith I had in mind.  (thumbsu

Sorry to hear about the sad end, but is there any details that you can share with us or is it really more of a private matter.  hm

15 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Yes, that is the Keith I had in mind.  (thumbsu

Sorry to hear about the sad end, but is there any details that you can share with us or is it really more of a private matter.  hm

18 hours ago, Yorick said:

If you owned this Action 1, would you have the staples removed to prevent rust staining the pages?

From what I've heard, the amount of rust is very minimal.  This book was certified very early on when label notes were a common thing.  Had it been certified a year or two later there would have been no notation.  

On 3/26/2018 at 1:24 PM, lou_fine said:

Sean;

It was directly as a result of your Sleepers column in CBM that I gained the foresight to snagged books like Startling 10 and Jackpot 4 when they were still kind of flying under the radar at the time.

I remember being at the Diamond Int'l Galleries Grand Opening back in '95 and fortunate enough to spot the Startling 10 and  putting it into my pile.  Fishler noticed it in in my pile and kept transferring it over into his pile of books before finally giving it back to me for good.  His rationale was that he would be able to turn that book into a major key that would "rock and roll", whereas if it was sitting in my collection, it would be locked up in there for decades going absolutely nowhere.

I guess in a sense he was absolutely correct.  :D

Not to brag, but I'm guessing you're referring to an article I wrote way back when.  I think it was in the quarterly #6.  

But I also remember Sean's articles.  He was huge on B&B 34, enough to convince me!

17 hours ago, N e r V said:

I’ve heard a few people claim doing this with success including someone with a HG Amazing Fantasy #15 and getting the blue. Just a matter of using good staples from the same period I guess.

I, for one, have had it done to a minor-key solid  1940ish book - raw mind you-  and it worked out beautifully ............

Edited by fishbone