• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Do you expect your purchases to be bagged and boarded?
1 1

52 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Aweandlorder said:

So much to say but I'll keep it nuts and bolts:

always bag and protect keys bcs of value obviously. 

Non value keys - it depends. I do a pretty good job bundling books without bag/boards but I always state it in my listings. HOWEVER the bottom line is this- are the books in the same condition as stated. I could receive them floating on the roof of the mailman's truck but as long as they are in the same condition as stated I'm happy. 

Heres a recent purchase to demonstrate my point:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Pack-of-3-Limited-Collectors-Edition-C-31-Oct-Nov-1974-DC/112867095103?epid=85498469&hash=item1a4767323f:g:VgUAAOSwZ2laqByu

and here's how I got them

IMG_4223.JPG.6ccab6b40592ee5e50be5e7cf08dd21b.JPG

This to me is the risk of the good deal with the the seller who doesn’t normally ship or sell comics

24 minutes ago, jsilverjanet said:

This to me is the risk of the good deal with the the seller who doesn’t normally ship or sell comics

I bought hundreds of comics, and most of my purchases are kinda great hehe. I can count on one hand how many comics have been damaged bcs of poor shipping, including this one which I listed, and there have been PLENTY of badly executed packaging efforts (we're no longer even talking about bags and boards). 

So as aggravating as it is sometime to receive poorly packaged books, I always look at the bottom line - was this delivered in the same condition as stated. 

I guess nothing else changed on earth today - everyone's different

5 hours ago, oakman29 said:

I dont care if it's a .50 cent drek book. I'm purchasing it because I want it in my collection, and want a nice copy. Put it in a bag and board. That's the least you could do for your customers.

Right on, brother. (thumbsu

I would gladly pay $3-$4 for a "drek" book I want with its condition preserved by a simple bag and board combo (probably costs a dime) than pay 50 cents for the same book thrown in without any protection.

Likewise when I dig through $1-$2 bins for stuff at a show. Some dealers will just chuck it all in a box w/o bags and boards, or bag but no boards, and a lot of it gets unnecessarily damaged. Perhaps that 10-cent investment in a bag and board showing a little TLC would translate into more sales. Maybe? 2c

10 hours ago, Ken Aldred said:

The raw, regardless of its price or what the market is currently saying about it, might have some special significance to the collector, even if the seller believes it's total drek.

I wish all dealers would come to this realization.

And yes, I expect raws to come with a bag and board.

At the very least cheap books should be 5 or 6 in a SA bag. I assume these have sone sort of sandwhich around them? I'm having a tough time visualizing this packing mishap with raw books floating around without even a bag 

19 hours ago, jsilverjanet said:

Same for me. Lots don’t always have bags and boards and a lot of times I don’t switch out bags/boards

part of it for me is to keep cost down. Again this is for cheap books/overstock

Same here. To be clear, for single book sales I'd always rebag and board them, and for "nicer" runs I'll rebag and board, but I sell a lot of bulk cheap stuff, so you're generally getting them exactly as shown. I still package them well and I've never once had a complaint about the condition of these lots, or some books not being bagged and boarded. But it's just not worth it for me to bag and board a run of Elflord or Deadly Duo that I sold for $10 with free shipping. I still package them very safely and guarantee them to arrive in the stated condition. 20+ years, 5000+ 100% positive feedback, zero complaints.

Edited by F For Fake

Yes, I expect them bagged and boarded. Hell, I've bought actual drek and it's pretty much always still arrived bagged and boarded, or at least bagged. 

Paradoxically, even though I expect it to arrive like that, I'll never keep it in those bags and boards. I'll immediately switch to my own, or group them together in a silver age bag if it's a common run I've bought strictly for reading. 

I like my purchases to be bagged and boarded for the extra protection, but I just wind up throwing them away when all is said and done as first off, I hate having a large sticker on the front f my bag with the comic's information on it. Don't understand why they can't put those stickers on the backs of the bags. Plus I prefer silver age sized bags and boards even for my modern comics and most places use modern sized. If companies like Midtown Comics actually gave an option on what size bag and board you can get with comics, even if it required adding an additional 5-10 cents a book, I would be more than happy to go that route. As is, the bags and boards that are sent to me with my orders just get tossed in my recycling bin so its really a waste of materials, tho they do protect the comics in route.

I didn’t realize there was ever a time when bags and boards didn’t come with mail order comics!

What did the dealer say when you brought this to his attention?

I was a cheap bulk comic buyer.  I purchased small runs, etc from online comic shops to forum sales.  Honestly, if they were cheap comics, I just expected them to be bulk packed inside of a plastic comic bag.  You can fit a bunch of comics in there and that prevents shipping damage when you sandwich board them between cardboard.  Most of the time, I re-board the keeper comics anyway.  The readers are loaded off on craigslist as is when I am done reading them. 

When I order from MCS, I used to select the bag and board option but found that they were charging me for them even when they were new.  So I stopped that practice and figured I am just going to reboard them once they arrive.  So basically, my worries how the comics get shipped now.  Bag and boarding doesn't upset me that much anymore.  But then again, my orders are never in the $400 range either.

Now that shipping charge for $53 is outrageous.  I hope everything was double boxed and arrived safely.

3 hours ago, roach04 said:

I didn’t realize there was ever a time when bags and boards didn’t come with mail order comics!

What did the dealer say when you brought this to his attention?

Things From Another World ships comics without bags and boards, unless your willing to pay the very high prices they charge to have them bagged and boarded (.25 cents per comic). I am unwilling to spend those prices especially when I am not getting the brand or size of bags and boards I prefer. For an order of 100 comics, it would cost you $25 to have them bagged and boarded. I just recieved a shipment fro them last week for roughly 100 comics and they were packaged up in 4 plastic bags that each had 25 comics per bag. They arrived in perfect condition so I have no complaints, but I definitely feel a lot safer ordering from companies that bag and board and do so without charging you to do so, let alone an arm and a leg to do so. At the cost the are charging for bags and boards, I could use Gerber's Mylites 2's with half back boards. And that is why I only order from TFAW when they have really good sales. 

Edited by OrangeCrush

If I'm buying from an individual, as long as they are packed well I'm good, especially if I'm buying bargain bin level stuff. If they are bagged and boarded, then that's a bonus. When I'm buying from a dealer I expect a little more professionalism out of a, well... professional. 

I recently bought a set of Xmen books after watching an episode review of the Legion TV series. These were for the Muir Island saga. So I went to ebay and searched around trying to fnd a seller who offered all 5 books (Xmen 278-280, X-Factor 69-70). Found one through a seller called Zigcomics. And with combined shipping, my purchase was nothing earth shattering-- something like $11.25. They charged me combined shipping of $5 and sent them media mail. Maybe that should have been an indicator. They took abot 4 days to even put the books in the mail. Then the long wait for media mail to be delivered. Package finally arrives in one of those stiff photo envelopes weighing much less than the 1 pound they paid for. Regardless-- I open the package and find that there are only 4 of the books I ordered, with two pf them Bagged and boarded, two others bagged and placed between the boarded copies, and then just scotch taped together. No cardboard sandwich-- just the books flopping around inside this stiff envelope. But most importantly-- one book is missing (XMen 280) so I don't have the full story line that I intended to buy in the first place.

So I send the seller a note asking if the remaining book is being sent separately or what the deal was in general as this was supposed to be combined shipping and ebay thinks all 5 books got sent together. They respond a day later with " I will check later to see if we have one in stock.

ok-- no "hey sorry about that". And now several days have gone by and they have not replied again telling me what is up. Now this is a seller with over 23000 feedback. It took me no time to see they are currently offering 5 copies of this same book on ebay. I get that this is not a huge purchase but a little customer service would be appreciated.

I dont mind no bags boards if they dont shank you on the shipping.  $1 each add'l is outrageous.  

On 3/25/2018 at 9:08 AM, oakman29 said:

I dont care if it's a .50 cent drek book. I'm purchasing it because I want it in my collection, and want a nice copy. Put it in a bag and board. That's the least you could do for your customers.

This. I’ve started negging sellers on eBay for this. I got one recently loose in a mailer, no bag, no board.

26 minutes ago, oakman29 said:

I dont care what they are bag em, board em. PLEASE!

when i buy a modern I expect bag and board, then put in SA bag and board, then put that in GA bag and board, then put that in magazine bag and board.

It's only common courtesy.

5 minutes ago, kav said:

when i buy a modern I expect bag and board, then put in SA bag and board, then put that in GA bag and board, then put that in magazine bag and board.

It's only common courtesy.

Now you got it.:whistle: