• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comic buying ettiquette? what to do when you aren't the first buyer at a sale
2 2

84 posts in this topic

17 hours ago, jsilverjanet said:

So my question is

a) have you ever done this? or have been on the other end of it?

b) what did you do?

a) Never, but this has happened to me. Not at a garage sale, but at a comic con.

b) Watched as it played out. Dealer had no interest in backing out of the sale so I didn't have to do anything.

Wow, the stories about fighting over going through long boxes!  I admit, i probably take up 2-3 longies when i go through them, but i am also about 4 feet wide, kind of square shaped (with curves). I can't stand it when someone goes through a box i am looking through as i am very quick. There is no reason, i don't pull a $1 book out and look at it for 5 minutes and compare values on ebay, opg, and mcs.

I’ve always thought it would be fun to go to a decent comic convention here in the state - like WonderCon or Yorba - and actually hunt for comics instead of just pointing and clicking on the computer. 

But every time I here these stories about jerk behavior -  hogging up long boxes, snatching stuff out people’s hands, verbally trying to blow up a deal when someone is paying -  and it’s just an absolute total turn-off for me. 

I’m not aggressive person my nature, I hate confrontation - which I’m sure is exactly what these guys are preying on. 

Love to try cons but the thought of spending all day getting into shoving matches with obnoxious comic jerks is not my idea of a fun weekend. 

12 minutes ago, Number 6 said:

I’ve always thought it would be fun to go to a decent comic convention here in the state - like WonderCon or Yorba - and actually hunt for comics instead of just pointing and clicking on the computer. 

But every time I here these stories about jerk behavior -  hogging up long boxes, snatching stuff out people’s hands, verbally trying to blow up a deal when someone is paying -  and it’s just an absolute total turn-off for me. 

I’m not aggressive person my nature, I hate confrontation - which I’m sure is exactly what these guys are preying on. 

Love to try cons but the thought of spending all day getting into shoving matches with obnoxious comic jerks is not my idea of a fun weekend. 

Just wear the same clothes (sleep in them too), don't bathe, and don't use deodorant for 3 weeks before the con. You will have plenty of space and no confrontations. :smile:

30 minutes ago, Number 6 said:

I guess the point and clicking is about trying to not get ripped off or thinking you’re gonna get ripped off so you check what’s out there. Right?  Isnt that what dealers do when they buy from you? 

What do I know? I’m a full blown simpleton. I try to be kind to people, tho. I bought a book at wondercon and it was $150 and it was worth $150 to me so I just bought it. Didn’t haggle. Should I have?

Edited by NoMan

My scenario...

I set up a local shows.  This particular situation happened a couple of shows ago.  Guy messages me asking if I will be buying or be willing to trade. I have dealt with him before and 9 times out of 10 it is a junk for junk deal but he does buy from me so I always do some sort of little deal to make him feel good. 

He shows up and I politely ask him to wait a bit as I am literally dealing with a paying customer (giving change, putting books in a bag). As I am doing this, another local flipper, who knows this guy came to see me and has only been waiting like 2 minutes tells him he will take a look at what he has and off they go outside meh

They walk back in about 15 minutes later. Buddy still has his stack and local flipper has a few books in hand. Maybe I am "off" but that just annoyed me. I would think the proper thing to do would be for flipper boy to wait until after I have looked through them or even for the junk guy to wait until I have gone through them.

As it turns out, I did not make a big deal out of it as there was nothing and I found out what flipper boy actually got but now I am just mindful of flipper boy circling around at the show to make sure that anyone who may come in with books, sees me first (I can do this at the small local show I do, obviously bigger shows I cannot).

Edited by Wall-Crawler

36 minutes ago, NoMan said:

I guess the point and clicking is about trying to not get ripped off or thinking you’re gonna get ripped off so you check what’s out there. Right?  Isnt that what dealers do when they buy from you? 

What do I know? I’m a full blown simpleton. I try to be kind to people, tho. I bought a book at wondercon and it was $150 and it was worth $150 to me so I just bought it. Didn’t haggle. Should I have?

No. 

I was simply contrasting the enjoyment of the experience of buying in person with the rather dull experience of buying on-line.  

Nothing to do with price-checking or trying ‘not to get ripped off’

Edited by Number 6

The one collection I actually found on Craigslist that turned out to be worth my time involved a similar situation. Dead uncle left behind his comic collection in a retirement home, literally a half mile from my house. I call the number listed and asked if they were still available, listed price was $500 for everything, collection is still available so I tell them I'll be there in 30 minutes or less. Get to the collection and start to look through what is a available, 32 short boxes of mostly Copper, Moderns. Had lots of Indy titles, full first print run of Cry for Dawn, Faust, later printings of TMNT 1-10, etc. I tell the seller I'll take it, no sooner had I confirmed the sale the seller gets a call, another buyer willing to offer $2000 sight unseen. Seller tells this interloper that the collection had just sold and we were taking the books.  

53 minutes ago, Number 6 said:

No. 

I was simply contrasting the enjoyment of the experience of buying in person with the rather dull experience of buying on-line.  

Nothing to do with price-checking or trying ‘not to get ripped off’

But I see that all the time, checking what something sells for. Pointing and clicking GPA and what not while digging through boxes at a con. People staring at phones as they bump into people. 

Dont know if it’s good or bad.