• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comic buying ettiquette? what to do when you aren't the first buyer at a sale
2 2

84 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, Diamonddave said:

The one collection I actually found on Craigslist that turned out to be worth my time involved a similar situation. Dead uncle left behind his comic collection in a retirement home, literally a half mile from my house. I call the number listed and asked if they were still available, listed price was $500 for everything, collection is still available so I tell them I'll be there in 30 minutes or less. Get to the collection and start to look through what is a available, 32 short boxes of mostly Copper, Moderns. Had lots of Indy titles, full first print run of Cry for Dawn, Faust, later printings of TMNT 1-10, etc. I tell the seller I'll take it, no sooner had I confirmed the sale the seller gets a call, another buyer willing to offer $2000 sight unseen. Seller tells this interloper that the collection had just sold and we were taking the books.  

this happens a lot here in Chicago. I had this "call" come up several times, buyer offers to pay for something unseen as I'm picking up. I know who one of them is

On 3/25/2018 at 12:15 PM, DocHoppus182 said:

I was at a show a couple weeks ago.  I had a stack of 4 books in my hands looking at each one right in front of the dealer’s booth.  Some guy comes up and literally, takes a book out of my right hand.  It was just the covers to a random Marvel Mystery.  I turned to the guy, put the other 3 books in his hands and told him where to stick it.  I don’t play that stuff.

I would have grabbed my book back and said

" wait your turn (lady)...."

8 hours ago, Number 6 said:

I’ve always thought it would be fun to go to a decent comic convention here in the state - like WonderCon or Yorba - and actually hunt for comics instead of just pointing and clicking on the computer. 

But every time I here these stories about jerk behavior -  hogging up long boxes, snatching stuff out people’s hands, verbally trying to blow up a deal when someone is paying -  and it’s just an absolute total turn-off for me. 

I’m not aggressive person my nature, I hate confrontation - which I’m sure is exactly what these guys are preying on. 

Love to try cons but the thought of spending all day getting into shoving matches with obnoxious comic jerks is not my idea of a fun weekend. 

If these stories were that common then there wouldn't be threads about them when they do happen.

12 hours ago, bug33fouf said:

I would have grabbed my book back and said

" wait your turn (lady)...."

Haha.  Luckily, I had already decided I wasn't interested when I saw it was just the covers.  My point was made.  It also helps that I am a larger than average individual.  

23 hours ago, AGGIEZ said:

The longer I'm on this planet...and the more social media proliferates our lives...I realize how small the pool of people I actually like really is. People suck

Today I got on a subway elevator. I was about to press the button to go up (it was one of the few that is not automatic), only to notice that someone had spat some disgusting phlegm all over the buttons. I was paralyzed and grossed out. Stood in the elevator for a minute and found some scrap paper in my pocket to press the button, but a lady had hit door open and stepped in. She was about to press the button and I screamed "don't press the button!"..after being freaked out for a second she realized I was doing her a favor and said "people are disgusting"...

On ‎3‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 11:22 PM, jsilverjanet said:

I was at a garage sale this morning, first one in line, first one inside, and I was in the process of trying to buy the entire lot of comics (about 40) when about 2 minutes later a 2nd buyer asking about the comics came in. When he saw that I was in the process of buying the comics, the seller had finally given me a price, he said out loud "I'll pay $$$ for the box" (2.5 times more than the seller was asking).

So my question is

a) have you ever done this? or have been on the other end of it?

b) what did you do?

I'm sure I'm going to asked so, the comics were modern books, nothing spectacular but a few modern semi-key books that made the 8 minute drive worthwhile.

never done this but would do it if I felt I needed to.

local show here a few years ago and an older guy came in with very nice stuff. was sold for cheap. should have interrupted the sale but waited like a dummy. missed out on seriously serious money.  look out for yourself jsj.  I might hit Chicago this year. lets do something. 

also, if it happens to you, throw them hands.

Edited by youmechooz

12 minutes ago, youmechooz said:

local show here a few years ago and an older guy came in with very nice stuff. was sold for cheap. should have interrupted the sale but waited like a dummy. missed out on seriously serious money.  look out for yourself jsj.  I might hit Chicago this year. lets do something. 

C2E2 or Wizard?

Hope I'm not straying too far off topic, but I'll share a few oldies but goodies.

One time, I make a deal with a guy on cragslist to drive about 20 miles over to his place and pick up a small collection, these titles had three ring binder holes in several issues. Right before I leave to cross a bridge, I get an answering machine message, "Oh, some other guy called and offered more, thanks anyways." Can only imagine how livid I would feel if I made the trip. I saw them a few days later, in a local dealer's bin boxes.  :mad:

I wouldn't be surprised if these guys who double the offer sight unseen, arrive at the location, and attempt to re-haggle the price back down, or walk away, depending on what they see. It's likely just a place-holder in case...

On a positive note, I had one time, where an old timer was walking from dealer to dealer at a convention, with a suitcase full of books, and everyone denied him. At the end, when the convention was closing, I asked to look and got a great deal on FF 3 & 4, there were several lovely silver ages inside, as well.

Edited by bronze_rules

I’ve witnessed a local knucklehead who always wants a steep discount regardless of the price. If a book is $50, he wants it for $25. If it’s $1, he wants it for .50. If they’re .25 cent books, there still needs to be money off the top. One time I was going though a fresh short box and he was so unable to control himself he reached in and started flipping through the books in front of my hands. I told him in no uncertain terms to remove his paws and wait until i was finished. At that point, I began to ponder each potential purchase with great care and thoughtful deliberation.

1 hour ago, youmechooz said:

I'm confused.  You regret not interrupting the other guy's sale.  If you get interrupted, fisticuffs? 

O.o

I was at a local book sale recently where there happened to be a box of TPBs and, unfortunately, I was second there. I waited patiently while the guy who beat me to the box leafed through it and picked out the books he wanted. When he was just about done an insufficiently thoughtful person forced his way to the backside of the table and tried to attack the box from the other end. Before I could even protest, the first guy tore a profanity-laced strip off the newcomer, telling him he could take a lesson from me in proper box-diving etiquette as he pulled the box away and handed it to me. Unfortunately, he'd already taken all the good stuff :sorry:

2 hours ago, Black_Adam said:

I was at a local book sale recently where there happened to be a box of TPBs and, unfortunately, I was second there. I waited patiently while the guy who beat me to the box leafed through it and picked out the books he wanted. When he was just about done an insufficiently thoughtful person forced his way to the backside of the table and tried to attack the box from the other end. Before I could even protest, the first guy tore a profanity-laced strip off the newcomer, telling him he could take a lesson from me in proper box-diving etiquette as he pulled the box away and handed it to me. Unfortunately, he'd already taken all the good stuff :sorry:

lol 

About 4 years ago, I sold a good chunk of my collection to buy an old classic car.   I put my comics on CL.  It was priced good, I had to move it fast, to secure the car.  The first person to contact me seemed like a nice guy, said he wanted to take a look and set up a time.   I got a lot of interest, (Silver/Bronze/Modern all mixed in, some keys), but I made a list of the order of the interested parties, in which they contacted me.  Told them all, that the first guy who contacted me has first dibs.  Before he arrived another person contacted me, and said that they would give me an extra $200 to sell it to them.   I told them, sorry, we have a line.  He said 'too bad' and even sent me a picture of his $100's spread out on a bed (like that was supposed to wow me or something?!?).   

I sold it to the first gentleman, at the listed price on CL, didn't care about the extra $200 because I am a man of my word.   Not saying this for any other reason, than to show that it can be done without whoring yourself out.   

I find that most people are polite and have manners in general at shows and flea markets.  I agree that the box you are looking in is the book that belongs to you at that moment, but any other box is fair game for anyone.  I would never blow a sale for anyone because it might be me on the other end and I would not want it to happen to me.  There is always one guy at the flea market who can't help himself and has to start digging in the box you are looking in and he is a dealer at local shows as well.