• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Dragon Con 2018, Aug 30 - Sep 3, 2018, Atlanta, GA

10 posts in this topic

This show is always a lot of fun with a wide variety of guests. The show isn't until August, so there are many guests still to be added. I put a few of the announced comic guests below. George Perez is on the list again, after missing last year's show.

http://dragoncon.org/

http://dragoncon.org/?q=guests

Jim Beard

Jim Beard has written Star Wars and Ghostbusters comics, co-edited Planet Of The Apes: Tales From The Forbidden Zone, wrote Spider-Man: Enemies Closer, a story for X-Files: Secret Agendas, and Gotham City 14 Miles, a book on the 1966 Batman TV series, as well as worked for Marvel.com since 2003.

Joe Benitez

Joe Benitez is a comic book artist who has worked on such titles as JLA, Superman/Batman, Detective Comics, Supergirl, and Titans for DC Comics and The Darkness for Image Comics. He also co-created and penciled the sci-fi series Weapon Zero and the dark fantasy mini-series Magdalena: Blood Divine for Image.

Gerhard

For 20 years, Gerhard worked with Dave Sim as background artist, environmental designer, and cover colorist on the Cerebus graphic novel. A 300-issue series, it is a milestone in comic book publishing as the longest running creator-owned comic book series!

Christopher Golden

Christopher Golden is the New York Times bestselling author of Ararat, Snowblind, and many more novels. He is the co-creator (with Mike Mignola) of the comics series Baltimore and Joe Golem and his media tie-in works include Buffy, Hellboy, X-Men, and others. Giolden is an editor, screenwriter, podcaster, and lecturer.

Scott Hanna

An Eisner Award winning artist in the graphic novel industry, Scott Hanna has been drawing and inking comic books for over 30 years. His work has been published in over 1,000 comics and graphic novels, and he’s inked over 22,000 pages of comics art.

Tom Heintjes

Tom Heintjes is the co-founder and publisher of the Eisner Award-winning Hogan's Alley magazine, one of the leading magazines on contemporary and classic cartooning. He is a former managing editor of The Comics Journal and for years wrote biographical essays for Will Eisner’s Spirit magazine for Kitchen Sink Press.

Mike McKone

Mike McKone’s first published work was for DC Comics’ Justice League of America and Marvel Comics’ Punisher series. In the years since he has illustrated almost every major character for the big two publishers, including lengthy runs on Teen Titans, Amazing Spider-Man, and Fantastic Four

George Pérez

George Pérez is an illustrator and writer of comic. Along with John Byrne, he was arguably the most popular and influential artist in American comic books in the 1980s. He primarily illustrates superhero comics and is known for his clean, dynamic, yet ornate style.

Robert W Pope

For nearly 30 years, Robert Pope has been a cartoonist, animator, and comic book artist who has worked for DC, BOOM, IDW and more. He currently draws Looney Tunes  for DC and the PEANUTS gang for Simon and Schuster, among others.

Don Rosa

Well known in American comics fandom since the '60s for his fanzine work, Don Rosa became internationally famous in 1987 for writing and drawing Carl Barks' Uncle $croog and Donald Duck comics for international publishers, making Rosa one of the world’s best known cartoonists.

Jacob Rougemont

Jacob Rougemont is an American comic book writer and researcher, most often known as part of the writing team on the Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe, the Guidebook to the Marvel Cinematic Universe, and the Official Index to the Marvel Universe.

Craig Rousseau

During his 20+ year career, comic book artist Craig Rousseau has worked for various comic book companies, but is best known for his work on DC Comics titles like Harley Quinn, Batman Beyond, and Impulse. He also worked for Disney, Beckett, Image Comics, and Marvel Comics' Creative Services.

Matt Santorelli

Matt Santorelli is a freelance inker currently working for DC Comics on New Super-Man. He's worked on titles such as DC Universe Rebirth #1, Superwoman, Green Lanterns, Action Comics, Superman, Nightwing, and Trinity. Santorelli  has also illustrated sketch cards from Upper Deck's Marvel Comics, Firefly, and Clerks card sets.

Gail Simone

Gail Simone is a multiple award-winning writer of comics and animation. Her work in comics includes fan-favorite the Simpsons, Deadpool, Batgirl, Wonder Woman, and Birds of Prey, as well as the recent creator-owned books Crosswind and the Eisner-nominated Clean Room. She is also a fierce advocate for diversity in comics.

Tad Stones

Tad Stones is a producer, writer, and artist who started his career at Walt Disney Features then moved to Disney Imagineering to design rides for EPCOT. He was one of the founders of Walt Disney TV Animation where he created the shows Chip ’n’ Dale’s Rescue Rangers and Darkwing Duck.

David Thorn Wenzel

David Thorn Wenzel’s is an artist who has taken fantasy lovers down many paths. His vision of Tolkien’s Hobbit, in graphic novel format, has been updated over the years and is still in print worldwide. This year he returns with a new vision for Kingdom of the Dwarves.

Timothy Zahn

Timothy Zahn is the author of 11 Star Wars books and the Cobra, Quadrail, and Dragonback series. Recent books include Star Wars: Thrawn and Cobra Traitor. Upcoming books include Star Wars: Thrawn: Alliances and A Call to Vengeance, the third of the Manticore Ascendant series written with David Weber.

I got surprised with a weekend get-away from my wife for an early birthday present.  Turns out she took me down to Chattanooga to visit family and flying in and out of Atlanta.   I hear so little about this mega Con that I didn’t even know it was going on until I saw all the Cosplayers walking around downtown yesterday.  Why is this Con so under discussed on the boards?

Edited by 1Cool

6 hours ago, 1Cool said:

I got suprised this weekend to a get away from my wife for an early birthday present.  Turns out she took me down to Chattanooga to visit family and flying in and out of Atlanta.   I hear so little about this mega Con that I didn’t even know it was going on until I saw all the Cosplayers walking around downtown yesterday.  Why is this Con so under discussed on the boards?

Dragon Con has always been a fantasy/sci-fi/video game/media con more than anything else. They do have comics and comic creators, but that has never really been the focus.

It's almost like the Creation Cons of old. There were comics there, for sure, but it was mostly sci-fi and that sort of fandom. 

31 minutes ago, RCheli said:

Dragon Con has always been a fantasy/sci-fi/video game/media con more than anything else. They do have comics and comic creators, but that has never really been the focus.

It's almost like the Creation Cons of old. There were comics there, for sure, but it was mostly sci-fi and that sort of fandom. 

That makes sense.  It sounded like tens of thousands of people were at the multi day Con and I literally have maybe heard it talked about a handful or time and never in great detail.  Good to know I was not missing much.

On 9/4/2018 at 6:55 AM, 1Cool said:

I hear so little about this mega Con that I didn’t even know it was going on until I saw all the Cosplayers walking around downtown yesterday.  Why is this Con so under discussed on the boards?

Because, if we publicized how awesome this weekend is, the lines would be longer, the competition talking to the hot, half-naked attendees would be greater AND a lot more buyers would move in on what is trove of uncontested books.

Seriously though, I dropped nearly a grand on fine art in the annual Art Show and my comic expenditures were a close second. There were so many great books, that I couldn't even begin to pick up everything that I wanted.

I attended all weekend (Thurs thru Mon, actually) and had so fun that it felt like it was only a two day show.