• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Torpedo Comics offers an alternative to SDCC
4 4

263 posts in this topic

4 minutes ago, Senormac said:

'77 for me.  It's when me and my buddy shown here picked up these.  Mile High Plas #10 for me and the VF Four Color #159 for him. 

This was in our room at the El Cortez. 

The guy in the yellow shorts went on to become a professional freelance artist and did all the covers to Spike Mulligan 

5ac1847465ce1_steveranswithcomicsSD1977.thumb.jpg.20f14d8b49f39cc18c20011686860b69.jpg

great photo, and such good material there at the show back then, but still SDCC rules in my book and I like wonder con better comic book wise in way, but these new  one or two day shows have real potential with the right push

20 hours ago, Fan Boy said:

My last year was before the first expansion. That was why I didn’t return after what people told me about the expansions back then. Wasn’t in mood for bigger crowds. I remembered walked easy through the lane ways between booths, loved that. at SDCC!

I recall the El Cortez hotel being quite crowded but the most fun for buying multiple copies of vintage SA back issues or mags. According to Mile High Chuck, August 1991 was the 1st SDCC expansion to the newer  convention block and attendance was estimated at a colossal 16,000 :x collector/fans.

15 minutes ago, aardvark88 said:

I recall the El Cortez hotel being quite crowded but the most fun for buying multiple copies of vintage SA back issues or mags. According to Mile High Chuck, August 1991 was the 1st SDCC expansion to the newer  convention block and attendance was estimated at a colossal 16,000 :x collector/fans.

Come to think of that... I completely forget about that one! Wasn’t that the building in right side? I went into the enterance in the left side from the block where I got off the trolley few blocks away to walk toward SDCC. The panels and meetings were up second level on the right side of this building. 

I think the Calgary Comic Expo this year is similar to The SDCC of Early 1990s, size-wise maybe? SDCC is at least 3-4 times bigger now than Calgary. Anyone please correct me if I’m wrong?

On 3/30/2018 at 1:03 PM, the blob said:

Am I wrong, or did NYCC seem to have a few more comic dealers this year?  I did not spend as much time there this year as past years, had a lot of stuff going on that weekend. Missed sunday entirely.

Kind of hard to tell, but yeah, it seemed like there may have been a few more this year. But it may have just been because part of Javits was under construction, so everything felt a bit crunched--that could've given an impression of there being more comic dealers..

12 hours ago, Fan Boy said:

I think the Calgary Comic Expo this year is similar to The SDCC of Early 1990s, size-wise maybe? SDCC is at least 3-4 times bigger now than Calgary. Anyone please correct me if I’m wrong?

Would say SDCC capped at about 128,000 ppl per DAY x 4.5 days (including Wed. advance preview day) with SDCC trying to diversify collector/buyers by just selling them 2 or 3 days of admission is at least 6-7 x bigger than Calgary Expo (estimated 86,000 ppl due to Alberta 'recession'). Still you are correct that in terms of guest list (Jeff Goldblum, Michael J Fox, Jason Momoa, Anthony Daniels (C3PO), Peewee Herman, artist/painters Jim Lee, Liefeld, David Finch, superstar Drew Struzan) that Calgary Expo is similiar to SDCC early 90s with line ups starting.

22 hours ago, aardvark88 said:

early shows were great and very personal....but interests have expanded which is not a bad thing, still to get true comic book shows back to the roots, where they are for  comic  book collectors we need to support all of these shows...

On 3/31/2018 at 1:17 PM, Fan Boy said:

Yes, it can be a kick- show, but I do disagree with “comic book” term. IMO, it should now be called as a POP culture show given in what it currently offers in other media and merchandising stuff. Sorry but that is how I see it. 

I must had either missed or passed you when you were a dealer.  My first show was in 1989, then 1990, 1992, 1995 and 1998 as the last year. I had purchased many SA books while I was there. 

SDCC was magical as a teen.  I went from 1986-1990 until I moved to the east coast.  I remember my friend telling me the 1991 show (at a new location) was insanely crowded.  Haha.

On 4/1/2018 at 9:17 PM, Senormac said:

'77 for me.  It's when me and my buddy shown here picked up these.  Mile High Plas #10 for me and the VF Four Color #159 for him. 

This was in our room at the El Cortez. 

The guy in the yellow shorts went on to become a professional freelance artist and did all the covers to Spike Mulligan 

5ac1847465ce1_steveranswithcomicsSD1977.thumb.jpg.20f14d8b49f39cc18c20011686860b69.jpg

Those were the days 

Great photo Senormac! Yes, magical days indeed. I remember cramming a half a dozen guys in an El Cortez room in sleeping bags. My friend's older brother had some "gasp" beers. I remember all night poker games using comics as chips. Was so much fun for a young teenage kid getting away from your parents. The best part was meeting and hanging out with other fans with similar interests. And hanging out at the pool with Kirby, Eisner and other pros listening to their stories. Sadly the few pictures I had were destroyed in a fire years ago.

On ‎4‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 5:43 PM, Robot Man said:

Great photo Senormac! Yes, magical days indeed. I remember cramming a half a dozen guys in an El Cortez room in sleeping bags. My friend's older brother had some "gasp" beers. I remember all night poker games using comics as chips. Was so much fun for a young teenage kid getting away from your parents. The best part was meeting and hanging out with other fans with similar interests. And hanging out at the pool with Kirby, Eisner and other pros listening to their stories. Sadly the few pictures I had were destroyed in a fire years ago.

A fire :whatthe:  ahhhh......  that's way too bad.  Those were the "before digital camera days" .  

We were in the pool when 20 feet away they were doing the artists auction right there, in the pool area.  Kirby, Barks, Caniff etc. would draw on large paper and folks would bid/buy them.  I'm so glad to have been a part of that. That's when comic collectors were true geeks !!  :sumo:

Now they are practically accepted 

Hi there -  Great to see so much enthusiasm for the shows.  As one of the partners bringing you the LA Ultimate Comic Art & Collectibles Show, I wanted to clarify a few things:

1) The Admission Price gets you into both the Torpedo Comics Collectors Convention & the LA Ultimate Comic Art & Collectibles show.  The two shows will be located next to each other with over 12,000 sq. ft of room - the Torpedo side will have high-end comic dealers and the LA Ultimate show will have Comic Art, Illustration Art and Authentic Movie/Television Props.   Many of the dealers will be set up in San Diego, but there will also be some others that don't set up there with some interesting stuff that we hope collectors will enjoy and won't see elsewhere.  You can purchase tickets at www.UltimateLAShow.com.  Please reserve your tickets early.

2) Yes, there will be artists in attendance (on the LA Ultimate side) - so far Frank Cho, Gerhard, Mark Schultz, and Jim Silke have signed up.  More may be announced in the coming months.

3) There is a special hotel room rate of $135 + taxes at the LAX Hilton for the nights around the show. The default is for a King bed.  If you would prefer to have 2 beds , you can simply book the King bed via the link provided on the UltimateLAShow.com website and call or e-mail the Event Coordinator (Nicole Gomes) and she will manually switch your reservation to an alternate configuration.  You can reach Nicole at 310-410-6184 or e-mail her at Nicole.Gomes@Hilton.com.  When you contact Nicole, please provide her with your confirmation # for your reservation.  

4) We chose the location to make it easy for people to fly in and out if they wanted to.  It's only 5 minutes from LAX.  And, for those that are going to San Diego, this gives people the option of flying into LA and then driving/taking a train down to San Diego later in the week.  Santa Monica, Hollywood, and Beverly Hills are all within an 30 minutes to an hour away via Ride Share services.  It's a great show If you want to buy some great collectibles and enjoy Sothern California.  No location is ever perfect, but figured this checked off a lot of things we were looking for. 

We're hoping to see many of you there and feel free to send me a PM if you have any questions!

On April 6, 2018 at 2:12 PM, comiconxion said:

Hi there -  Great to see so much enthusiasm for the shows.  As one of the partners bringing you the LA Ultimate Comic Art & Collectibles Show, I wanted to clarify a few things:

1) The Admission Price gets you into both the Torpedo Comics Collectors Convention & the LA Ultimate Comic Art & Collectibles show.  The two shows will be located next to each other with over 12,000 sq. ft of room - the Torpedo side will have high-end comic dealers and the LA Ultimate show will have Comic Art, Illustration Art and Authentic Movie/Television Props.   Many of the dealers will be set up in San Diego, but there will also be some others that don't set up there with some interesting stuff that we hope collectors will enjoy and won't see elsewhere.  You can purchase tickets at www.UltimateLAShow.com.  Please reserve your tickets early.

2) Yes, there will be artists in attendance (on the LA Ultimate side) - so far Frank Cho, Gerhard, Mark Schultz, and Jim Silke have signed up.  More may be announced in the coming months.

3) There is a special hotel room rate of $135 + taxes at the LAX Hilton for the nights around the show. The default is for a King bed.  If you would prefer to have 2 beds , you can simply book the King bed via the link provided on the UltimateLAShow.com website and call or e-mail the Event Coordinator (Nicole Gomes) and she will manually switch your reservation to an alternate configuration.  You can reach Nicole at 310-410-6184 or e-mail her at Nicole.Gomes@Hilton.com.  When you contact Nicole, please provide her with your confirmation # for your reservation.  

4) We chose the location to make it easy for people to fly in and out if they wanted to.  It's only 5 minutes from LAX.  And, for those that are going to San Diego, this gives people the option of flying into LA and then driving/taking a train down to San Diego later in the week.  Santa Monica, Hollywood, and Beverly Hills are all within an 30 minutes to an hour away via Ride Share services.  It's a great show If you want to buy some great collectibles and enjoy Sothern California.  No location is ever perfect, but figured this checked off a lot of things we were looking for. 

We're hoping to see many of you there and feel free to send me a PM if you have any questions!

hope this can be an yearly event..good luck

6 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

This show is coming up in about a month. Any more comic dealers signed up?

How many boardies here are planning to attend?

I'm gonna be traveling. I'm kinda bummed to miss it as I think it's a great idea and I want to support it, however, traveling thru Europe for the entire month of July ain't a bad 2nd place idea. 

9 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

Anybody have a link to the ticket sale? Seems a little confusing with two promoters promoting the same show.

I believe the cutoff was 6/15 and now you have to go to the door to buy a ticket.  A limited amount will supposedly be available.