• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Torpedo Comics offers an alternative to SDCC
4 4

263 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, VintageComics said:

I think the real question is, will the Torpedo show make SD not worthwhile to do if you get a lot of SD goers just take the LA route and forefo the SD show.

If the Torpedo show gains traction over the years, that could be a real thing and prevent people from going to SD altogether unless they are looking for the entire SD experience.

SDCC is already not worthwhile to MANY local comic collectors. The show is losing more and more of us every year. Torpedo show or not, we aren't going to SDCC anyway. This is a great "alternative" for us. I doubt there will be very little if any impact on SDCC as they are now two very different shows. I also suspect that many out of town comic book buyers will show up a few days early for this show. 

I've got my tickets for this show and hotel room is reserved, so I'll be attending. Looks promising and I like these smaller comic focused shows. I went to SDCC back when I lived down there in the 80's and you could walk up and buy tickets at the door. Moved up north and the last time I went was 2008 and dealt with overcrowding and people being there strictly for the movie and tv stars plus all the people chasing all the con exclusives so they could flip them (ok, maybe they wanted them for themselves but I'm sure there were a lot of flippers also).

Anways, looking forward to the L.A. show and hope to meet some people from these boards in person for the first time.

3 hours ago, Robot Man said:

It is if you are a vintage comic buyer. Since it is a comic board not a cosplay board, video game board or pop culture board I figured most people would understand the meaning of the title. If you "get it" and have read this thread, you will clearly see that SDCC has become irrelevant to many comic book collectors. Especially local collectors who can simply drive to the show and in many cases have done so many times. To us, this is a great alternative!

...Yeah that's a fair point.

On 3/25/2018 at 6:45 PM, jsilverjanet said:

I would love to hear the thoughts from dealers in regards to your comments above. While I understand you may be over SDCC and maybe locals may be looking for an alternative (to SDCC), I just don't see how 17 dealers from across the country would come out to do a one day show in San Diego. Are San Diego buyers that desperate that they have no alternative to fill their runs, that this is the only solution? I mean it's not like local shops or ebay don't have the items they are looking for.

no matter how many people you get to attend this one day show, i can't imagine that it compares to the amount of traffic (money) over a 5 day show a few days later. I assume you will be attending, and providing a full report. Can't wait to hear from some of the dealers who do this show etc

For a one day show on a Sunday (perhaps the absolute worst day of the week schedule wise) and only seven hours of actual show time, this seems like a helluva lot of work.

2 hours ago, VintageComics said:

I think the real question is, will the Torpedo show make SD not worthwhile to do if you get a lot of SD goers just take the LA route and forefo the SD show.

If the Torpedo show gains traction over the years, that could be a real thing and prevent people from going to SD altogether unless they are looking for the entire SD experience.

Any clue why they decided on just a one day show versus the traditional Friday and weekend?

Edited by HENRYSPENCER

12 minutes ago, HENRYSPENCER said:

It's not the pricing I'm concerned about but the effort in setting up and moving inventory around.

Most of the dealers (if not all) are already moving everything into Southern California form all over the continent for the SD show.

If they are already there in So Cal, wouldn't another show (even if it is a one day show) make the entire trip more profitable?

1 hour ago, HENRYSPENCER said:

I just can't understand how one can justify a full booth setup for only seven hours of show time...

You probably haven't been to Terry O'Neil's one day show in January. Dealers and collectors fly in from all over the country and rave about it. I suspect that any dealers that bring a decent variety of cool stuff will do very well. There are a lot of collectors in SO CA as well as many flying in early for SDCC. There is a buzz and a frenzy for a quality one day show that you just don't get on a multi day show. People save up and come to buy books. 

1 hour ago, Robot Man said:

You probably haven't been to Terry O'Neil's one day show in January. Dealers and collectors fly in from all over the country and rave about it. I suspect that any dealers that bring a decent variety of cool stuff will do very well. There are a lot of collectors in SO CA as well as many flying in early for SDCC. There is a buzz and a frenzy for a quality one day show that you just don't get on a multi day show. People save up and come to buy books. 

seven hours of show time is absurd, Robo, if henryspencer is correct, I can see a one day show...say 9-7 seems much better which is 10 hours, they should of made it two days if they want 7 hours of showtime per day....too bad and LA traffic is the worst.

Edited by Mmehdy

Seven hours is just fine for a small show like this. On a two day show of this size the second day would be most of a day of sitting around dealing with the low ballers. ALL the action happens on day one. As I said above, there is a sense of urgency. Buy that book or chance someone else will get it. Buying and selling is hot and heavy. You have never been to Terry’s show Mitch. It would blow you away. No time to sit around and waste time. A real business show.

And at least on Sunday morning traffic isn’t much of a problem in LA

A rehash of everything we already know:

To everyone out there in the funny book world, as we all know for years now it has been more and more difficult for comic collectors to get into the SD show. Dealers once were able to afford purchasing extra passes for customers and friends. Those passes I believe now cost $500.00.

A booth set-up for Bob, Terry, Vincent, Dale, Harley, John, Jamie and the rest at San Diego runs into the many many thousands of dollars. Oh yeah and also the hotel bills for them can be a few thousand dollars as well. Gosh darn there is also the cost of transportation of themselves and product. They are going to eat and drink anyway so we won't count that. The true vintage comic collectors who attend are greatly appreciated on all levels. Whether the collector can attend is also very pricey and problematic. They've been pushed to the limit when it comes to securing rooms and passes due to the bureaucratic b.s. of the SD organization.

For years both collectors and dealers  have complained about San Diego and fantasized about something like John's show. Yes it is only one day and yes it is only from 10-5. It is though an attempt by many of the country's dealers taking the extra time to make it possible for one to purchase comic books if that's what ones inclined to do. As far as it being a hassle for dealers setting up and breaking down is all a narrative in perception. I can assure you that it is not for most of these guys.

They love every chance they can get to buy sell and trade. It's what they do.The fact that they have set-up in SD just two days later is just more cake under the icing.

And yes it is time and cost for the collector as well. But it is significantly less than one day at SD. Fly or drive in, attend, socialize, attempt to purchase, trade or sell. 

Whether it is a one day mom and pop show in a small room in a local La Quinta, Hilton at LAX, Yorba Linda community center or the San Diego convention center, were all in the same boat trying to get up the same stream. Let's appreciate the efforts of all whether dealer or collector. 

If your schedule and or your finances allow you to attend John's comic specific show in L.A. then great. There are no guarantees that you will have a good time, bad time, fill a hole in your collection or sell anything. You may have a flight delay or get stuck in traffic. If you can make it then I honestly hope you have a good time. If you can't, then maybe later in the week you can get to SD and be filled in on the amazing time or debacle that was Torpedo - Con.

Peace, a love supreme and keep your head to the sky.

Joy

#6957 LOVE ROMANCES #15 (Mar51) p.1.jpg

10-5 seems like plenty of time.  7 hours is long enough to stand there (especially considering that many of those dealers will be headed to SD only a few days later and have to be there all day for however long it runs).  

If I lived out that way, I'd certainly hit the Torpedo show over SD (which, based on what I've heard over the years, has lost it's "mystique" to me).