• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Torpedo Comics offers an alternative to SDCC
4 4

263 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, www.alexgross.com said:

i'm sure there were lots of boardies there but i don't know how to recognize one.

…..Boardies will have a puzzled look on their face, as they wonder if anyone around them is also a Boardie..... GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

5 hours ago, HENRYSPENCER said:

Mitch what are your thoughts on the show being on a Sunday instead of Saturday?  Seems like for a one day show Saturday would be the better day.

SDCC doesn't officially start until Thursday.  Setups on Wednesday.  That's 5 or 6 extra days on food, gas and hotels from a dealers perspective that adds up real quickly.

too few hours and on a sat the hours should be extended otherwise run it sat and add say 4 hours. Too close to SDCC, I want these shows to succeed..hope they try and improve it again next year

4 hours ago, www.alexgross.com said:

it was a great show today, i'm sure others will post pics. lots of great dealers there and tons of quality books. here's a few shots. it was a bit dark in there is the only issue they need to better address in future. john dolmayan was walking around like a happy proud parent. two rooms, one for comics, and one for comic art and other art. i mostly spent time in the comic room but ran into mike mignola in the art room later, though he wasn't at a table or anything. i also found a nice raw copy of avengers 1 for a good price. i'm sure there were lots of boardies there but i don't know how to recognize one. we should make shirts next time. PS that picture of the rack with one book missing from the middle was a very nice looking JIM83 cgc 3.0 that i was thinking about, and which had sold when i came round again. 

IMG_2317.jpg

IMG_2305 (1).jpg

IMG_2307 (1).jpg

IMG_2303 (1).jpg

IMG_2304 (1).jpg

IMG_2296 (1).jpg

IMG_2297 (1).jpg

IMG_2298 (1).jpg

IMG_2293 (1).jpg

IMG_2291 (1).jpg

Alex, you gotta know the secret handshake. Just kidding. Sorry I missed you but too many books and not enough time. Nice Avengers 1

2 hours ago, Mmehdy said:

too few hours and on a sat the hours should be extended otherwise run it sat and add say 4 hours. Too close to SDCC, I want these shows to succeed..hope they try and improve it again next year

The whole idea was to make this show before SDCC to bring the dealers to the show. I am a box diver and had just enough time to hit everyone well and shoot the breeze with pretty much everyone I wanted to. It was a trial show and VERY well received by all. It was packed early but the last hour or so was a little slow. I had a talk with John. He was very interested in all the feedback. It will be back next year with improvements. You should have gone. You missed out. You would have loved it. Especially the huge art room. Most of us won’t be at SDCC. I for one, could care less anymore...

9 hours ago, Robot Man said:

The whole idea was to make this show before SDCC to bring the dealers to the show. I am a box diver and had just enough time to hit everyone well and shoot the breeze with pretty much everyone I wanted to. It was a trial show and VERY well received by all. It was packed early but the last hour or so was a little slow. I had a talk with John. He was very interested in all the feedback. It will be back next year with improvements. You should have gone. You missed out. You would have loved it. Especially the huge art room. Most of us won’t be at SDCC. I for one, could care less anymore...

yes i second that opinion completely. the whole point is that the dealers are in town for SDCC, so of course it's close to that show! and i, like robotman, never go to SDCC and with this show, have absolutely no reason to. we are the ones this show is for, as well as anyone who wants to grab stuff early. definitely a most welcome addition to the schedule for real collectors. 

Hi all --

Just wanted to chime in on this show and thank all the comic and art dealers for setting up at it.  I'm from Connecticut, but was already planning to visit friends in St. Louis just before the 15th when the show was announced, so I extended my trip by two days.  As a vintage comic collector who also appreciates seeing the original art, this was one of the easiest, most comprehensive, and well-organized shows I've been to.  I'm not staying for SDCC, partially because everything I could want from a Con -- great books, great people, great art, and a low-cost, simple format -- was here at the Torpedo show.

I'd grade this con a flat 'A' for what it offered, and I look forward to seeing more pics that I saw people taking throughout the day.  The only downside to the entire event, from my perspective, was the (below ground floor) setting, which wasn't great for lighting and for wi-fi access (it had dead spots).  That said, I could still check GPA or use my phone on a moment's notice when I needed to.

Best part were the people -- a lot of wonderful collectors from the art world like PR Churchill and Lee Benaka that I hadn't seen in a long time, and of course dealers like Ted Vanliew, Bob Storms, Harley Yee, Dale Roberts, Greg Reece, Frank from Metro, and many others.  It was only a one-day show, but for the size of it, that was perfect.  I got to see everything 3-4 times before making a sale/trade with Ted and buying a beautiful FF 52 from Dale that I will post later on.

Bottom line from me:  I hope this event continues in a similar format.  I would move a lot of calendar around to attend this event as my ONE con of the year even though it's all the way across the country.  I hope some dealers chime in after SDCC to let us know how it went for them as well.

Dan

6 hours ago, Drummy said:

Hi all --

Just wanted to chime in on this show and thank all the comic and art dealers for setting up at it.  I'm from Connecticut, but was already planning to visit friends in St. Louis just before the 15th when the show was announced, so I extended my trip by two days.  As a vintage comic collector who also appreciates seeing the original art, this was one of the easiest, most comprehensive, and well-organized shows I've been to.  I'm not staying for SDCC, partially because everything I could want from a Con -- great books, great people, great art, and a low-cost, simple format -- was here at the Torpedo show.

I'd grade this con a flat 'A' for what it offered, and I look forward to seeing more pics that I saw people taking throughout the day.  The only downside to the entire event, from my perspective, was the (below ground floor) setting, which wasn't great for lighting and for wi-fi access (it had dead spots).  That said, I could still check GPA or use my phone on a moment's notice when I needed to.

Best part were the people -- a lot of wonderful collectors from the art world like PR Churchill and Lee Benaka that I hadn't seen in a long time, and of course dealers like Ted Vanliew, Bob Storms, Harley Yee, Dale Roberts, Greg Reece, Frank from Metro, and many others.  It was only a one-day show, but for the size of it, that was perfect.  I got to see everything 3-4 times before making a sale/trade with Ted and buying a beautiful FF 52 from Dale that I will post later on.

Bottom line from me:  I hope this event continues in a similar format.  I would move a lot of calendar around to attend this event as my ONE con of the year even though it's all the way across the country.  I hope some dealers chime in after SDCC to let us know how it went for them as well.

Dan

Now that's high praise. One show a year and you flew in for this one. In addition to the dealers you mentioned these guys were there too: Stephen Ritter from Worldwide, Terry O'Neil, Ritchie from Bedrock City, Brad Sloan from F-VF, Gus from Silver Age Comics in NY with Big Ron Murrary as well as over a half a dozen other GA/SA dealers in the comic room alone. Combine that with a ton of original art dealers in a seperate room, this show knocked it out of the park. Not to mention a mere $20. to get into both shows!  As big or better than any other dealer lineup for any other major show in the country. And, we get a little sneak peek on all these guy's inventory just before SDCC. I already can't wait until next year!

For a one day first time event it was well run.  I did very well at the show and would do it again.  I was very surprised at who I saw at the show and even some new faces.  Either way even if you are going to San Diego and want a Preview Preview night event this would be a show for you to come to. 

1 hour ago, blazingbob said:

For a one day first time event it was well run.  I did very well at the show and would do it again.  I was very surprised at who I saw at the show and even some new faces.  Either way even if you are going to San Diego and want a Preview Preview night event this would be a show for you to come to. 

Good to hear Bob. I came by a couple of times but you looked real busy. Glad you did well. I know Bedrock and Dale did well. Some of the other guys, not so much. I heard a little whining. But they didn't have enough variety or next to nothing to sell anyway. Shows like this and Terry's show in Jan are probably the future of vintage comic buying and selling. Have fun and do well in SDCC!

36 minutes ago, DavidTheDavid said:

I've never been interested in SDCC, but this has me wanting to save my pennies for Torpedo.

SDCC is a killer show. One of the first, biggest and best. Just not so much for vintage comic book dealing and buying anymore. If you are into the "other stuff" it can't be beat. If you go for vintage comics, Torpedo should be on your list. 

6 hours ago, Dark Knight said:

Seems to me that the Torpedo show is similar to Terry's Yorba Linda show, old school style!!!

Not as many individual comic dealers but probably similar in size once you add the OA dealers.

12 minutes ago, VintageComics said:
6 hours ago, Dark Knight said:

Seems to me that the Torpedo show is similar to Terry's Yorba Linda show, old school style!!!

Not as many individual comic dealers but probably similar in size once you add the OA dealers.

Good enough for me.  I'll be sure to go next year if it happens. See u in SDCC?

4 minutes ago, Dark Knight said:

Good enough for me.  I'll be sure to go next year if it happens. See u in SDCC?

Hopefully.

Make sure you come to the music show Thursday night. PM incoming.

I think I was able to ask every dealer if they had any Four Colors.   As expected most of them had not brought any , but quickly added they had hundreds back at their store or warehouse.  I will send my revised want list out to several of them in a few weeks. I am down to only needing 175 issues to complete both 1st and 2nd series

on my fifth stop I finally found Metro who had only 4, all of them early Ducks.  Bedrock had 7 but the only one I needed was # 9 and it was out of my price range.  I found a cgc 2.0 little lulu that  way over priced among the three comic dealers that were relegated to the ART room so i did not even to try to negotiate 

finally got to my main target Terry.  he had pulled a box as per my request.  spent quite a while going his books, and then having him go through several boxes of mine.  we then did some horse trading and he got a really nice flash 139  as well about a dozen others.  I got a nice stack of about 30 four colors headed by the first raggedy Ann #5 and #43  an early Popeye.

while this deal was working its way I got to see a lively discussion between Terry and Mike carbanaro regarding splitting a book. not sure how much of it was Schtick 

after completing that deal I was going to circle back to metro and try to work a deal for the low grade #4 first series when I spotted a four color on Harvey's table. i had  asked one of his workers hours earlier  who said they would be filed alpha and confirmed that they had none so wad surprised to see that one.  harley saw my list and and quickly found a small stack of file copies he had recently obtained as well as a sweet 9.0 slabbed 140.  upshot was that I filled two holes with very high grade issues and Harley got a nice wwbn 32 and a couple of other books. I got cash to balance the deal , but I never made it back to Metro to attempt to strike a deal for the first Donald in the first series

all the more reason to come back next year 

I flew down from Northern California.  It was a good show with lots of dealers that I don’t normally see in Northern California.  Picked up some key books at reasonable prices.  Nice selection.   I am sure there were tons of CGC guys, just don’t know who you are in person.   Not going to San Diego and have not for a long time so this was great.  Everything I need, just Comic books and Comic art.   Hope its bigger next year and 2 days.