• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Torpedo Comics offers an alternative to SDCC
4 4

263 posts in this topic

Was at WonderCon the past couple of days. Found out that Torpedo is offering an alternative to SDCC. The Sunday before SDCC they are putting on a true comic book show with emphasis on buying and selling comic books. Sunday July 15 at the Hilton LA Airport. 17 major dealers from all over the country have already signed up with more to come.

Comic collectors have gotten sick of SDCC. High prices on everything from hotels, parking, food. Huge crowds that have nothing to do with comics. Comic dealers shrinking and getting crowded out.

Is this a good alternative? Will this be a knife in the back to comics dealing in SDCC? Will SDCC just be the worlds biggest “media” show? 

Seems that smaller comic book centric shows all over the country are finally offering collectors a good alternative to the big expensive shows with very little comics available.

Terry O’Neil’s Yorba Linda show is a perfect example. Is this the future of “Comic “Conventions”?

1 hour ago, Robot Man said:

Terry O’Neil’s Yorba Linda show is a perfect example. Is this the future of “Comic “Conventions”?

:wishluck: I can only hope....

1 hour ago, jsilverjanet said:

Comic collectors have gotten tired of SDCC?

thats news to me

Yes, they are quitting in droves. You don't live out here and talk to the locals. Most of the older collectors have quit it. These are the bread and butter for dealers. Guys with want lists and cash. Can't take the hassle any more. I went to the 4th one and almost every one since up until about 3 years ago. Just wasn't worth the hassle and expense for a mostly non-comic show. Last one I went to most of the dealers were sharing booths and only bringing their most expensive books. Oh, most of the dealers still show up in some capacity but I think it is more for a vacation rather than making a lot of money. Have to say, I'm over it...

Well, this idea is well overdue and happily invited.

I always thought it would be Mile High that would start the "rebellion" after all the years of moaning about costs versus sales.

Nice to see Torpedo step-up. I hope it's outrageously successful.

I gave up on SDCC way back in 2008. It's a great city to attend a show, however for those that have to travel in, after expenses it's nearly impossible to justify. Add in the ticket demand issues, overcrowding and the continually shrinking dealers in attendance, this show was long ago cut from my "must attend" list.

Edited by fingfangfoom

That's an interesting concept.  Have it at an airport hotel, at a cheap air hub.  Collectors could just fly in and out to buy.

I just checked the airfare - about $160 from here.

1 hour ago, Robot Man said:

Yes, they are quitting in droves. You don't live out here and talk to the locals. Most of the older collectors have quit it. These are the bread and butter for dealers. Guys with want lists and cash. Can't take the hassle any more. I went to the 4th one and almost every one since up until about 3 years ago. Just wasn't worth the hassle and expense for a mostly non-comic show. Last one I went to most of the dealers were sharing booths and only bringing their most expensive books. Oh, most of the dealers still show up in some capacity but I think it is more for a vacation rather than making a lot of money. Have to say, I'm over it...

I know I have quit it, and I would bring at least 6-8K to SDCC. There goes that revenue. I'm sure others have too! I would love to see that show happen, and I love Terrys show. The small collector shows are .ore appealing to me now.

2 hours ago, Robot Man said:

I hate to disagree, and I have been to 98% of all of them since the beginning. But in terms of high quality GA/SA it is still the SHOW...if you want to see Action 1 in real life that is the place to go, more than one of them. It has changed, I prefer in terms of pure comic book collecting  Wondercon,  has the old SDCC 80's/90's feel and well balanced. So for Ultra expensive CGC graded top of the line, SDCC is still king. But the size of the SDCC has grown so big, that it really has become intimidating in term of a show. I support 100% these new comic book related Dealer "pop up shows" as well as the san diego other comic book show which is coming I think on 4/20 this year for collectors to feel what it used to be like. The convention realized early that comic book dealers were being pushed out or "lost" in the sea of so many different dealers, so they located GA/SA in a section, as well as original Art which is helpful, this happened to wonder con this year, I think for the first time. SDCC has become very difficult to get in, I agree with that but i SDCC still is "king" in my book

Edited by Mmehdy

2 hours ago, Robot Man said:

I would love to hear the thoughts from dealers in regards to your comments above. While I understand you may be over SDCC and maybe locals may be looking for an alternative (to SDCC), I just don't see how 17 dealers from across the country would come out to do a one day show in San Diego. Are San Diego buyers that desperate that they have no alternative to fill their runs, that this is the only solution? I mean it's not like local shops or ebay don't have the items they are looking for.

no matter how many people you get to attend this one day show, i can't imagine that it compares to the amount of traffic (money) over a 5 day show a few days later. I assume you will be attending, and providing a full report. Can't wait to hear from some of the dealers who do this show etc

http://www.torpedocomics.com/

above is the link to the show, here are the dealers on the page...

• Terry O’Neill COMICS
  • Harley Yee Comics
  • Torpedo Comics
  • Metropolis Comics
  • Heroes Comics
  • Champion Comics

• High Grade Comics
  • FVF Comics
  • McFlys Comics
  • Bedrock City Comics
  • Big Red Comics
  • SuperWorld Comics

• Dave & Adams Card World
  • Lone Star Comics
  • Graham Crackers Comics
  • Comic Cellar
  • Big Wow Comics
  • Dale Roberts Comics
Edited by jsilverjanet

29 minutes ago, Mmehdy said:

I hate to disagree, and I have been to 98% of all of them since the beginning. But in terms of high quality GA/SA it is still the SHOW...if you want to see Action 1 in real life that is the place to go, more than one of them. It has changed, I prefer in terms of pure comic book collecting  Wondercon,  has the old SDCC 80's/90's feel and well balanced. So for Ultra expensive CGC graded top of the line, SDCC is still king. But the size of the SDCC has grown so big, that it really has become intimidating in term of a show. I support 100% these new comic book related Dealer "pop up shows" as well as the san diego other comic book show which is coming I think on 4/20 this year for collectors to feel what it used to be like. The convention realized early that comic book dealers were being pushed out or "lost" in the sea of so many different dealers, so they located GA/SA in a section, as well as original Art which is helpful, this happened to wonder con this year, I think for the first time. SDCC has become very difficult to get in, I agree with that but i SDCC still is "king" in my book

Have you been to Terry O Neil's Yorba Linda show?

There 8s more G.A and S.A. than San Diego. 

1 hour ago, oakman29 said:

Have you been to Terry O Neil's Yorba Linda show?

There 8s more G.A and S.A. than San Diego. 

The show is improving every year, as far as multiple keys, for example comic connect  display etc, SDCC is still King, I hope Terry expands the show next year

Edited by Mmehdy

1 hour ago, aardvark88 said:

Any ideas how far away in terms of driving time Hilton LAX is from Getty Museum in North L.A? I am making plans to attend from Canada. :foryou:

On a Sunday, it can't be more than an hour round trip, if even that.  Great call on the Getty Museum.  The grounds alone are worth visiting.  It's pretty awesome, though very heavy on religious art.  I don't know if you are a fan of Van Gogh but his 'Irises' is located there and it is INSANE.  I could stare at it all day.