• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Torpedo Comics offers an alternative to SDCC
4 4

263 posts in this topic

Without trying to steal John's thunder there is talk of a preview night/full day Sunday show.

John is working on bringing dealers that fit/deal in other "price points".  

I will be sending him a list of dealers that he might be able to get to come to the show.  

5 hours ago, blazingbob said:

Without trying to steal John's thunder there is talk of a preview night/full day Sunday show.

John is working on bringing dealers that fit/deal in other "price points".  

I will be sending him a list of dealers that he might be able to get to come to the show.  

Nice.  I'd be down for a two day show.

Edited by HENRYSPENCER

On 7/15/2018 at 7:53 PM, Robot Man said:

For a full report of this show go over to GA and check out my Son of My 50 Year Junk Obsecession. Lots of pictures.

Exceeded the hype gang!

for those who don't want to search for the thread (the GA forum has quite a bit more activity than I imagined), I did the leg work for you -- starts on page 44

On 3/25/2018 at 4:40 PM, shadroch said:

I quit going to SD in 1988 and don't miss it at all. 

I like what the Torpedo folks are doing, but I'm not sure why they chose that time and place.

I never went to SDCC. It's hard to get three or four day passes online. I heard too many ruthless attendees and that place is always overcrowded. Anywhere around SDCC is pricey. That is what I heard.

On 7/26/2018 at 6:55 PM, 01TheDude said:

seems like there were quite a few boardies at this event-- too bad you guys didn't organize a meet up either for breakfast before or maybe dinner afterwards.

i agree, it would be nice to arrange something next year. i assume there will be 3 different get togethers, segregated into GA collectors, SA collectors and copper/modern collectors. lord knows the GA guys don't want to hang around with SA collectors like myself. 

16 minutes ago, exitmusicblue said:

I used to be into the idea of going to SDCC, then realized I can catch all the reasons for going via web-surfing.

Minus the claustrophobia and crushing expense. 

2 hours ago, exitmusicblue said:

I used to be into the idea of going to SDCC, then realized I can catch all the reasons for going via web-surfing.

but you also miss the people and the great conversations etc and the best panels in the world , its just not about box diving or just buying comic books,,,,

17 hours ago, www.alexgross.com said:

i agree, it would be nice to arrange something next year. i assume there will be 3 different get togethers, segregated into GA collectors, SA collectors and copper/modern collectors. lord knows the GA guys don't want to hang around with SA collectors like myself. 

I hear ya!  Those GA guys can be real snobs.

46 minutes ago, Mmehdy said:

but you also miss the people and the great conversations etc and the best panels in the world , its just not about box diving or just buying comic books,,,,

those are probably great fun but just not for everyone. The one convention I went to was really not very enjoyable and it was no where near the size or expense of SDCC. Collect what you want extends into participate how you want imo.

5 hours ago, Mmehdy said:

Personally, I go to shows to buy books. I’ve never been to a single panel in well over 25 years of collecting. It’s just not my thing, though I can see why people would enjoy them. I do like interacting with other collectors on the show floor or at dinner, but I don’t need the outsized hassle and a $900/night hotel room for that. As others have said, SDCC used to be a bucket list item, but not anymore with what it’s become. 

Edited by mysterio

5 hours ago, Mmehdy said:

True but I have great conversations with other collectors while box diving at any show I go to and usually leave with something.

As far as panels go, I’m a GA guy. Everybody I would want to see at a panel is dead. Last one I went to was the EC panel at SDCC. Was epic.

As far as as looking for trade books and books on comics go, they are usually in areas of the show so crowded that you can’t get in to see them. After being banged into with back packs and people who smell like they haven’t seen a bar of soap in weeks, I’m out. 

Heck, just getting from the ever shrinking “GA/SA pavilion” to artists alley can take a half an hour or more.

I wanted to confirm that Torpedo Comics Collectors Convention will be taking place in Los Angeles the "the Sunday Before" San Diego on July 14, 2019 from 10AM to 5PM.  This year, the Comic art portion of the show (formerly known as the LA Ultimate Comic Art and Collectibles Show) will be rolled under the "Torpedo Comics Collectors Convention" umbrella.  So, people will get a preview of all the great collectible comics and comic art being brought into town for San Diego in one location.  This will be one of the best opportunities all year for you to buy and sell comics and comic art without all the costs of a big show!  Those on the West Coast shouldn't miss this one and it's worth flying in for!

Location:  Please note that the location for this year is changing... We are moving the show from the LAX location to a larger location in the heart of Hollywood!  This year's show will take place at the Hollywood Palladium (6215 W. Sunset Blvd. Los Angeles, CA 90028).  This is a much larger location that will provide more dealer space and allow the show to grow as collectors continue to find it.

Pricing:  The good news is that the pricing on Admission and Parking will decrease this year and parking will be easier with an adjacent parking lot right next to the Palladium.  $10 Admission and $10 Parking.  

Here are some of the fine comic art dealers that have already signed up to attend.  More comic book and comic art dealers to be announced in the coming months.  

• Albert Moy 
  • Anthony Snyder
  • Bechara Maalouf/Nostalgic Investments 
  • Cool Lines Art
  • Glen Brunswick
  • Josh Gray 
  • Myron Ross/Heroes & Legends 
  • Philip Anderson/Artworkworld 
  • Saul Zimmerman

Collectors_Convention_Flyer.jpg

Edited by comiconxion

This show could definitely be on the hit list. That list lat year looked like a "murders row" of dealers. This would be a great show to hit after the Ontario show 2 months before it. It will give me time to reload the war chest.