• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Torpedo Comics offers an alternative to SDCC
4 4

263 posts in this topic

7 hours ago, DarkPhantom13 said:

What are the chances that John Dolmayan will also be there? As a comic collector and a big System Of A Down fan this would be a 2 birds with one stone kind of thing lol.

OH, he will be there. It's his show and idea. I talked to him at WonderCon and he was excited about it. He is feeling the squeeze at SDCC and realizes that his customers are dropping out like flies at SDCC. I'm sure he's not the only dealer feeling the same way. I don't expect this to be a huge show but very vintage comic orientated. Great dealer list and I think that list will grow in the coming months.

7 hours ago, DarkPhantom13 said:

What are the chances that John Dolmayan will also be there? As a comic collector and a big System Of A Down fan this would be a 2 birds with one stone kind of thing lol.

Probably 100%, as he's always there whenever his company sets up at all cons that I've seen him at over the years.

9 hours ago, Bumble Kitty said:

I plan to attend and I might spend all of my "San Diego" money.  I believe some (not all) of the out of town dealers will have a limited amount of books.  Even so, it should be a lot of fun!

I wonder how many cosplayers will be there. :jokealert:

The out of town dealers will probably have their full stock. Most have a truck load and will just set it up the week before SDCC. The LA crowd will probably get first pick. :banana:

12 hours ago, Fan Boy said:

You made a good point in there.  I see many people, even had talked with some collectors in other shows I went to. Said that SDCC is too much for their budgets and too crowded for them to enjoy. SDCC had evolved into a new realm where media is king in there. My last time was in 1998, I had been told by the people in there that the show was heading into a bigger level. That was when I thought my 5th time seems enough for me. 

Now my friend wants to go see it as that is his first time. I do not mind going, if it is deemed worth my time, going back again with him to show him places in San Diego (I assume some still there 20 years since?). If we’re damn lucky to score these fabled tickets! 

Which I highly doubt... thus is the problem. With over 200,000 people fighting over 120,000 Willy Wonko golden tickets? That’s nuts! :screwy:

1998 was my first and only SDCC, and I had a good time. I was only 21, so at the time that was a pretty expensive trip to be making, and not one I could handle every year. But you can't beat the novelty of being able to just walk right up to Chris Ware, or Los Bros, or Seth, or any number of other pros, and talk to them or get a sketch, with hardly any lines. I was also able to shop freely without bumping into people, and I remember I bought enough imported Japanese toys that I had to ship them back via USPS. A terrific time. But I know it's much different now. A good friend of mine moved to LA a couple of years later, lived there for 11 years, and as a toy collector he was really into SDCC at first. But eventually he got burned out by the crowds and the prices. Seems like it's a much different event these days, and my taste are for small comic-only shows whenever possible. I don't live anywhere near the area and would likely not make it to Torpedo Con, but I love the idea!

3 hours ago, Robot Man said:

The out of town dealers will probably have their full stock. Most have a truck load and will just set it up the week before SDCC. The LA crowd will probably get first pick. :banana:

That is a true leg up on san diego if you are a true comic book collector and I welcome it and hope the word gets out.

9 hours ago, delekkerste said:

There is also the inaugural LA Ultimate Comic Art and Collectibles Show on the same day, in  the same hotel, focusing on original comic art and movie props. Same rationale for doing this the Sunday before SDCC. 

Ultimate LA Comic Art and Collectibles Show

Are you going Gene? According to the website ONE admission price for BOTH shows...pretty amazing and it's only 20 bucks, and you should put the link up on  the original art section.

Edited by Mmehdy

34 minutes ago, Mmehdy said:

Are you going Gene? According to the website ONE admission price for BOTH shows...pretty amazing and it's only 20 bucks, and you should put the link up on  the original art section.

Haven't made my travel plans yet...think it's going to be tough for me to make it unless I cut short the SD portion of the trip.  But, we'll see. 

22 hours ago, Robot Man said:

In all due respect you are missing the whole point of this thread. We are talking about buying vintage comics. Serious comic buyers are dropping like flies. See how many people just posting in this thread are saying so. I spoke to over half a dozen collectors at WonderCon this weekend that said the same thing. Local folks as well as many out of town people with deep pockets who want just vintage comics. Torpedo, sees this and is trying to try something that might or might not work for us, the comic book buying crowd. We don't care about all the "other stuff". If you do, and want to spend what it takes to attend a show like SDCC by all means please do so have have a great time. It doesn't get any better for what it is.

By the way, SDCC has come a long way from a small non profit show to bring comic book collectors together. I remember those days and it was indeed magic.. But, it's a different time and $$$ is where they are now. 200 grand salary for the CEO says it all doesn't it? They have been crowding out the comic book crowd for years and still calling their Comic Con International. Maybe it's time for a name change?

In all due respect, not a single statement was made about vintage comics in the initial post, which was the post I was replying too. Here's the post right here:

Was at WonderCon the past couple of days. Found out that Torpedo is offering an alternative to SDCC. The Sunday before SDCC they are putting on a true comic book show with emphasis on buying and selling comic books. Sunday July 15 at the Hilton LA Airport. 17 major dealers from all over the country have already signed up with more to come.

Comic collectors have gotten sick of SDCC. High prices on everything from hotels, parking, food. Huge crowds that have nothing to do with comics. Comic dealers shrinking and getting crowded out.

Is this a good alternative? Will this be a knife in the back to comics dealing in SDCC? Will SDCC just be the worlds biggest “media” show? 

Seems that smaller comic book centric shows all over the country are finally offering collectors a good alternative to the big expensive shows with very little comics available.

Terry O’Neil’s Yorba Linda show is a perfect example. Is this the future of “Comic “Conventions”?

By all mean, you show me where it says anything referring to vintage comics in that post, because I for one am just not seeing it. 

Edited by OrangeCrush

20 minutes ago, OrangeCrush said:

In all due respect, not a single statement was made about vintage comics in the initial post, which was the post I was replying too. Here's the post right here:

By all mean, you show me where it says anything referring to vintage comics in that post, because I for one am just not seeing it. 

Sorry, I did not use the word "vintage" in the first post or title. If you read the second line, the point is made. Everybody else here seems to "get it". Sorry, I don't know how to highlight it. 

By the way, thanks for all the "facts and figures" from SDCC. Probably took some time to dig them up. Do you work for them?

It's pretty obvious from the replies here, that people who want to buy comic books are no longer going to SDCC. Perhaps, this is a better alternative for us. 

5 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

Sorry, I did not use the word "vintage" in the first post or title. If you read the second line, the point is made. Everybody else here seems to "get it". Sorry, I don't know how to highlight it. 

By the way, thanks for all the "facts and figures" from SDCC. Probably took some time to dig them up. Do you work for them?

It's pretty obvious from the replies here, that people who want to buy comic books are no longer going to SDCC. Perhaps, this is a better alternative for us. 

Not to be argumentative, but I'm just not seeing it in any of the sentences you used in that post as one can be a serious comic collector without focusing on vintage comics. I know plenty of very serious collectors that mainly focus on modern comics and very expensive variants. We'll just chalk it up to a misunderstanding, but next time you might want to be more specific if your referring to just a specific period of comics. 

23 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

By the way, thanks for all the "facts and figures" from SDCC. Probably took some time to dig them up. Do you work for them?

:roflmao:

Edited by NoMan

3 hours ago, Robot Man said:

"people who want to buy comic books are no longer going to SDCC"...food for thought....first lets take SDCC 1973 probably about 3000 attendance amd 2000 serious comic buyers  if that.....I would venture to say, that there are more comic book buyers/coolectors going to the 2018  in terms of raw numbers.. Yes at 130,000 the convention has grown in other directions but the core number still there, and yes the core number does get kicked the curb with all the toy buyers etc...I think that statement  is not correct and I dont think we are gonna get that number up. I support these new shows..they are great but going to both is better.

Edited by Mmehdy

1 hour ago, spidermanbeyond said:

$20 for both shows.  can't just go to one?

Says 1st 1000 ticket online and limited number at the door.   Doesn't sound like that many.   Should I buy now before they run out?

I plan to buy tix online, as I am pretty sure they will sell out of 1,000 tix by June 15/18 early bird cut-off date. Even if you are not that interested in original comic bk art, there will be props and artists (like Frank Cho, Mark Schulz, inker Gerhard) signing art books (Flesk) and prints so max out your fun for that weekend at LAX. :foryou:

On 3/25/2018 at 5:46 PM, jsilverjanet said:

http://www.torpedocomics.com/

above is the link to the show, here are the dealers on the page...

• Terry O’Neill COMICS
  • Harley Yee Comics
  • Torpedo Comics
  • Metropolis Comics
  • Heroes Comics
  • Champion Comics

• High Grade Comics
  • FVF Comics
  • McFlys Comics
  • Bedrock City Comics
  • Big Red Comics
  • SuperWorld Comics

• Dave & Adams Card World
  • Lone Star Comics
  • Graham Crackers Comics
  • Comic Cellar
  • Big Wow Comics

Looks like I’m gonna be there too

11 hours ago, Robot Man said:

No one will have their full stock. It is a very small show. Everyone has 1 or 2 tables. 

17 hours ago, OrangeCrush said:

Not to be argumentative, but I'm just not seeing it in any of the sentences you used in that post as one can be a serious comic collector without focusing on vintage comics. I know plenty of very serious collectors that mainly focus on modern comics and very expensive variants. We'll just chalk it up to a misunderstanding, but next time you might want to be more specific if your referring to just a specific period of comics. 

It may not have been explicitly stated, but you also have to "read the room", and note the folks participating in the conversation, especially the person who started the conversation. 

I support any comic show that doesn't cost thousands of dollars to attend as either a buyer or a vendor.

What does it cost to attend SDCC as a vendor that is from out of town?

What does it cost for a vendor from out of town to attend the Torpedo Comics show?