• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Torpedo Comics offers an alternative to SDCC
4 4

263 posts in this topic

44 minutes ago, Artboy99 said:

I support any comic show that doesn't cost thousands of dollars to attend as either a buyer or a vendor.

What does it cost for a vendor from out of town to attend the Torpedo Comics show?

$125 US per 6' long table x 2 table max allotment per vendor unless your name is 'Torpedo.'

Will there be any coupon code :blush: for online tix booking for CGC forum members who always want to save a $ so they can buy more comics and comic artwork ?

4 hours ago, aardvark88 said:

$125 US per 6' long table x 2 table max allotment per vendor unless your name is 'Torpedo.'

Will there be any coupon code :blush: for online tix booking for CGC forum members who always want to save a $ so they can buy more comics and comic artwork ?

$125 per table?  Wow, that's way less than Terry's show.  hm

On 3/27/2018 at 4:04 PM, OrangeCrush said:

Not to be argumentative, but I'm just not seeing it in any of the sentences you used in that post as one can be a serious comic collector without focusing on vintage comics. I know plenty of very serious collectors that mainly focus on modern comics and very expensive variants. We'll just chalk it up to a misunderstanding, but next time you might want to be more specific if your referring to just a specific period of comics. 

21 hours ago, LoveThemSigs said:

:roflmao:yes, they are very serious about speculating and flipping.

WTTB!

8 hours ago, F For Fake said:

It may not have been explicitly stated, but you also have to "read the room", and note the folks participating in the conversation, especially the person who started the conversation. 

Considering those posts were made after I was long gone and no longer even reading the thread...well. that would be a really neat trick. If you can teach me how to read the posts in a particular thread when I'm no longer even in that thread...well, again that would be a really neat trick so I am all ears. Personally, I just think its 1000 times easier to actually state exactly what it is your talking about as opposed to being incredibly vague. That way there would be no confusion and it would ultimately solve any problems before they are even started, but I guess that is just too easy for some people. 

And considering I am still relatively new here, to expect me to know exactly what kind of comics people are referring to just based on thier username is really really PUSHING It. Sorry, but as much as I enjoy this forum, I do not go around memorizing what each member on this board focuses on in regards to collecting. I am sure as months and years go by I will learn what comic's particular users are interested in just based on thier posting history, but to expect me to do that when i have only been posting for a couple months is really laughable at best.  

29 minutes ago, ygogolak said:

WTTB!

Wow, yet another sarcastic comment from ygogloak aimed at me. Whats the world coming too?

Edited by OrangeCrush

9 minutes ago, OrangeCrush said:

Considering those posts were made after I was long gone and no longer even reading the thread...well. that would be a really neat trick. If you can teach me how to read the posts in a particular thread when I'm no longer even in that thread...well, again that would be a really neat trick so I am all ears. 

Wow, yet another sarcastic comment from ygogloak aimed at me. Whats the world coming too?

Dude, you're either not very good at reading these boards or not good at understanding how quotes work.

Edited by ygogolak

57 minutes ago, shadroch said:

I think they might have done better if they charged more for the tables and less admission.  $20 for a show with no guests or attractions seems lame.

I like the prices for both. $125 for a table is a bargain and I'd gladly pay $20. to see most of the major SDCC dealers all in one room. Me, I don't care about guests or "attractions" personally. I think his whole point is to buy and sell comic books with no other "distractions". There is also another show partnering up with it but doesn't sound of interest to me any way. If you want guests or "attractions" just go to SDCC...

8 minutes ago, ygogolak said:

Dude, you're either not very good at reading these boards or not good at understanding how quotes work.

Guys, please take this somewhere else. Maybe a PM. The rest of us don't care. I would hate to see this thread pulled because of a childish little rant. OK?, Pretty Please?  :foryou:

2 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

Guys, please take this somewhere else. Maybe a PM. The rest of us don't care. I would hate to see this thread pulled because of a childish little rant. OK?, Pretty Please?  :foryou:

???

I have one response to that poster.

Edited by ygogolak

10 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

I agree 10000%. I don't even care and the posts are aimed at me. Posts like those should just be deleted by mods right from the get go. So I'll add a pretty please on top of your pretty please!!!

1 hour ago, shadroch said:

I think they might have done better if they charged more for the tables and less admission.  $20 for a show with no guests or attractions seems lame.

Guess Torpedo wanted to guarantee his vendor's tables sell out at $125 for a 6' table for the inaugural con. $20 admission is OK by me, as 3 artists/inkers will be in the prop and original comic art hall: Frank :headbang: Cho (Liberty Meadows, Shanna the Jungle Girl), Mark Schulz (Xenozoic Tales, Dark Horse covers), Gerhard (Cerebus).

26 minutes ago, aardvark88 said:

Guess Torpedo wanted to guarantee his vendor's tables sell out at $125 for a 6' table for the inaugural con. $20 admission is OK by me, as 3 artists/inkers will be in the prop and original comic art hall: Frank :headbang: Cho (Liberty Meadows, Shanna the Jungle Girl), Mark Schulz (Xenozoic Tales, Dark Horse covers), Gerhard (Cerebus).

Mark Schultz you say?  :banana:

1 hour ago, shadroch said:

Cheapest fare I found for that day is $160. If it goes down to $100 or so, I'm in. Paid $59 each way recently.

You need to learn how to churn Chase credit cards, especially the Southwest cards.   I haven't paid for a flight, except by accident, for the better part of the last decade and I fly on personal travel about 8-12 times a year.  I'm flying in for this show just for the day, using points graciously given to me pretty close to free by Chase.

On 3/25/2018 at 1:11 PM, Robot Man said:

Was at WonderCon the past couple of days. Found out that Torpedo is offering an alternative to SDCC. The Sunday before SDCC they are putting on a true comic book show with emphasis on buying and selling comic books. Sunday July 15 at the Hilton LA Airport. 17 major dealers from all over the country have already signed up with more to come.

Comic collectors have gotten sick of SDCC. High prices on everything from hotels, parking, food. Huge crowds that have nothing to do with comics. Comic dealers shrinking and getting crowded out.

Is this a good alternative? Will this be a knife in the back to comics dealing in SDCC? Will SDCC just be the worlds biggest “media” show? 

Seems that smaller comic book centric shows all over the country are finally offering collectors a good alternative to the big expensive shows with very little comics available.

Terry O’Neil’s Yorba Linda show is a perfect example. Is this the future of “Comic “Conventions”?

YES!  :golfclap:

On 3/25/2018 at 6:46 PM, jsilverjanet said:

http://www.torpedocomics.com/

above is the link to the show, here are the dealers on the page...

• Terry O’Neill COMICS
  • Harley Yee Comics
  • Torpedo Comics
  • Metropolis Comics
  • Heroes Comics
  • Champion Comics

• High Grade Comics
  • FVF Comics
  • McFlys Comics
  • Bedrock City Comics
  • Big Red Comics
  • SuperWorld Comics

• Dave & Adams Card World
  • Lone Star Comics
  • Graham Crackers Comics
  • Comic Cellar
  • Big Wow Comics
  • Dale Roberts Comics

YEEESSS!!!!   :whee:

$125 for a 6' table and $20 admission with 3 artists/inkers  in the prop and original comic art hall: Frank :headbang: Cho (Liberty Meadows, Shanna the Jungle Girl), Mark Schulz (Xenozoic Tales, Dark Horse covers), Gerhard (Cerebus).

YIIIIIEEEEEESSSS!!!!!  :cloud9:

So yeah I think I'll be going and I do hope the dealers bring a catalog list of their stash so that we are still able to purchase anything that wouldn't fit on the 2x 6' tables that they might have brought with them to SDCC.

Went to SDCC last year.  I was a fiend last year able to shop for art and comics and still get into Hall H.  Hall H was such a big disappointment for me.  If you aren't sitting in the first 3 sections you have to watch the panelists from jumbo trons.  Moving up between panels is key.  Walking Dead panel was hung over (or stoned or both), unenthusiastic, and likely too morose over the death of one of their stuntmen to take any of the fan questions seriously.  Game of Thrones was the best panel.  Justice League was cool.  But the best thing about going was getting to meet and browse the big and medium sized dealers that don't make it to east coast shows. Dealers like Torpedo and some of the other northwest and canadian dealers.  I found some decent HTF comics in HG and got to go through some (new to me) stock and saw some amazing art.  I blew about $1k in travel and expenses for the week.  Going to this show on the pre-con weekend from the east coast I could probably get that down to $350 and spend the rest on comics or art.

I hope this show does catch on and they make it at least a 2 day show next year. :wishluck: The only reason for me to go back to SDCC would be to attend preview night and snag some of the rare exclusives. 

26 minutes ago, wombat said:

I used to have going to SDCC on my bucket list. Not anymore. I've read enough negativity about it. At this point I couldn't even imagine spending all that money before I walked in the door that I could spend on actual comics. 

That's actually a good thing.  I think SDCC's time for comics has come and gone myself.  It's place in "comics history" will be written about, but nothing is static.  SDCC (and all the other major shows)  fulfilled much more than a great place to buy old comics, it fulfilled THE place to meet with other people who have a vision for storyboarding.  It's still one of the greatest hubs for creative people, from all over the world, to meet and hang out, discuss, break bread, quaff beverages,  and talk to each other in an energized environment.  

I guess, I just wanted to say,  that you maybe shouldn't cross it off your list.....  just adjust your expectations of what it is.  It's still a great event !  Spectacular even !!  But the comic book section of it has become smaller than the creativity of the people who attend it section.  The CREATIVITY has eclipsed the comic book.  The world is a big place.  No more geeks and fat chicks  <3

That being said......   

Bravo Torpedo comics.  :golfclap: Make it as  great as you can.  

Comics will never have a Marvel age again.  That was Stan's genius and empire.  

But graphic storytelling will always have a place.  From storyboarding, to comics, to storyboarding to film.

Because people are creative.  

Because GOD is creative.  He is sometimes called "The Creator".  

Think of your favorite super hero's names.  

We got Bat Man, Spider-Man, Superman, and so on......

A Super Hero named "The Creator" is pretty effin cool.

hm

:preach:  

And that's my effin first sermon here :grin:

9 hours ago, wombat said:

I used to have going to SDCC on my bucket list. Not anymore. I've read enough negativity about it. At this point I couldn't even imagine spending all that money before I walked in the door that I could spend on actual comics. 

This.