• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Torpedo Comics offers an alternative to SDCC
4 4

263 posts in this topic

23 hours ago, blazingbob said:

So what state doesn't have a sales tax?

Oregon is one of em  !! :banana:

Edited by Senormac

On 3/25/2018 at 3:46 PM, jsilverjanet said:

http://www.torpedocomics.com/

above is the link to the show, here are the dealers on the page...

• Terry O’Neill COMICS
  • Harley Yee Comics
  • Torpedo Comics
  • Metropolis Comics
  • Heroes Comics
  • Champion Comics

• High Grade Comics
  • FVF Comics
  • McFlys Comics
  • Bedrock City Comics
  • Big Red Comics
  • SuperWorld Comics

• Dave & Adams Card World
  • Lone Star Comics
  • Graham Crackers Comics
  • Comic Cellar
  • Big Wow Comics
  • Dale Roberts Comics

Although I think the idea behind the show is certainly a worthy one (not so sure about the location though) and I hope it finds a home because I realize the cost of setting up in San Diego for anyone not living here is pretty high and it’s great if it produces some extra revenue for dealers I do have to say I find the title of the thread a bit misleading.

I’m pretty sure most of those dealers wouldn’t be showing up for that show if they weren’t already setting up at SDCC. It looks like an addition not any future alternative to me. On that level more power to them if they can get some more cash by being in Cali while they’re here because I support a lot of those dealers in SDCC with my business.

I’m not sure why so many people here like to beat up on today’s SDCC. Why can’t there be room for large “event”shows like SDCC and smaller shows too? Not everyone’s interest or reasons in attending shows is the same. 

If you like to only buy comics at these things and smaller shows work for you be happy and stop complaining that the 2018 SDCC is so different from the 1970 version nearly 50 years ago! Guess what today’s Super Bowl ain’t like the 1967 version either!

One mind blowing stat I’ll share with you the last several years the number of ticket requests each year for SDCC surpasses the million mark. No convention center in the world could ever hope to contain the number of people who would attend if they could this show. 

So please live and let live....

5 hours ago, N e r V said:

Although I think the idea behind the show is certainly a worthy one (not so sure about the location though) and I hope it finds a home because I realize the cost of setting up in San Diego for anyone not living here is pretty high and it’s great if it produces some extra revenue for dealers I do have to say I find the title of the thread a bit misleading.

I’m pretty sure most of those dealers wouldn’t be showing up for that show if they weren’t already setting up at SDCC. It looks like an addition not any future alternative to me. On that level more power to them if they can get some more cash by being in Cali while they’re here because I support a lot of those dealers in SDCC with my business.

I’m not sure why so many people here like to beat up on today’s SDCC. Why can’t there be room for large “event”shows like SDCC and smaller shows too? Not everyone’s interest or reasons in attending shows is the same. 

If you like to only buy comics at these things and smaller shows work for you be happy and stop complaining that the 2018 SDCC is so different from the 1970 version nearly 50 years ago! Guess what today’s Super Bowl ain’t like the 1967 version either!

One mind blowing stat I’ll share with you the last several years the number of ticket requests each year for SDCC surpasses the million mark. No convention center in the world could ever hope to contain the number of people who would attend if they could this show. 

So please live and let live....

I think the problem here is accepting that a show/hobby has moved on/changed without them. It reminds me of something else hm

SDCC is an amazing show. It’s probably one of the few shows I look forward to attending more as a fan of the hobby than as a buyer 

48 minutes ago, jsilverjanet said:

I think the problem here is accepting that a show/hobby has moved on/changed without them. It reminds me of something else hm

SDCC is an amazing show. It’s probably one of the few shows I look forward to attending more as a fan of the hobby than as a buyer 

Plus, if San Diego had been "just" a decent show, we also wouldn't hear so much either.... but it was El Dorado at one time.... and it just got squeezed out. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

I find it a bit ironic too that one of the reasons that people poo poo the show now is due to its large size and it’s “Hollywood” vibe with media.

Growing up in an age where comic book collecting wasn’t generally accepted by the public and mostly considered “not cool” if you certainly collected in your teens what older fans seem to be complaining about is that comics and the superhero’s in general have arrived as  full bodied mainstream media darlings with popularity never dreamed of.

So I can excuse the SDCC for growing beyond its core audience of the past just like every superhero movie/series has done and I am glad too that smaller shows are thriving for the people who’s sole interest is shopping for comics back issues much like I did growing up with  the multitude of comic shops.

Edited by N e r V

5 hours ago, jimjum12 said:

Plus, if San Diego had been "just" a decent show, we also wouldn't hear so much either.... but it was El Dorado at one time.... and it just got squeezed out. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

Congrats @jimjum12 on your 25,000 posts :tink:

31 minutes ago, N e r V said:

I find it a bit ironic too that one of the reasons that people poo poo the show now is due to its large size and it’s “Hollywood” vibe with media.

Growing up in an age where comic book collecting wasn’t generally accepted by the public and mostly considered “not cool” if you certainly collected in your teens what older fans seem to be complaining about is that comics and the superhero’s in general have arrived as  full bodied mainstream media darlings with popularity never dreamed of.

So I can excuse the SDCC for growing beyond its core audience of the past just like every superhero movie/series has done and I am glad too that smaller shows are thriving for the people who’s sole interest is shopping for comics back issues much like I did growing up with  the multitude of comic shops.

If you had attended those early shows, they were amazing....with the GA/SA comic books being the main thrust...I can understand the "change" but it still is a Kick-asss comic book show today. With BOTH we end up winners, now the real question is attendance...who is going? and what people who are already in SDCC would make the trip to both shows on the boards...?

Edited by Mmehdy

25 minutes ago, Mmehdy said:

If you had attended those early shows, they were amazing....with the GA/SA comic books being the main thrust...I can understand the "change" but it still is a Kick-asss comic book show today. With BOTH we end up winners, now the real question is attendance...who is going? and what people who are already in SDCC would make the trip to both shows on the boards...?

I started going as a child.

1974, 1977, 1978, 1981-on. (Had tickets but missed the 1976 show)

1989 thru 2002 I attended as a dealer.

Edited by N e r V

2 hours ago, Mmehdy said:

Yes, it can be a kick- show, but I do disagree with “comic book” term. IMO, it should now be called as a POP culture show given in what it currently offers in other media and merchandising stuff. Sorry but that is how I see it. 

1 hour ago, N e r V said:

I started going as a child.

1974, 1977, 1978, 1981-on. (Had tickets but missed the 1976 show)

1989 thru 2002 I attended as a dealer.

I must had either missed or passed you when you were a dealer.  My first show was in 1989, then 1990, 1992, 1995 and 1998 as the last year. I had purchased many SA books while I was there. 

5 hours ago, Fan Boy said:

Yes, it can be a kick- show, but I do disagree with “comic book” term. IMO, it should now be called as a POP culture show given in what it currently offers in other media and merchandising stuff. Sorry but that is how I see it. 

I must had either missed or passed you when you were a dealer.  My first show was in 1989, then 1990, 1992, 1995 and 1998 as the last year. I had purchased many SA books while I was there. 

How do you know? I never gave the name of my business? lol 

I was strictly a part timer. Shared booth space with between 1-3 other dealers over the years. Two were local shop owners the other is still in business. We had a decent chunk of real estate and first dibs on our location thanks to some connections.

The money was really good but looking back I should have stuck with it and treated it more seriously. I could have been the SuperMetroGatorBedrock titan of back issues...:idea:

19 minutes ago, N e r V said:

How do you know? I never gave the name of my business? lol 

No, you didn’t...  lol I just said I might had missed or passed you as one of these dealers, ok? I’ve met a few big time dealers and couple local dealers near my hometown in there. Had met Chunk, Yee, few others. I was with an ASL interpreter at the times when I browsed around the comic book booths. 

1 hour ago, Fan Boy said:

No, you didn’t...  lol I just said I might had missed or passed you as one of these dealers, ok? I’ve met a few big time dealers and couple local dealers near my hometown in there. Had met Chunk, Yee, few others. I was with an ASL interpreter at the times when I browsed around the comic book booths. 

Looks like you attended before the first expansion of the convention center too. It was only half as long back then and walking end to end was shorter and less crowded. 

These days you need good walking shoes and strong arms to push the masses away from you. :jaws:

37 minutes ago, N e r V said:

Looks like you attended before the first expansion of the convention center too. It was only half as long back then and walking end to end was shorter and less crowded. 

These days you need good walking shoes and strong arms to push the masses away from you. :jaws:

Correct. My last year was before the first expansion. That was why I didn’t return after what people told me about the expansions back then. Wasn’t in mood for bigger crowds. I remembered walked easy through the lane ways between booths, loved that.

Anyway, I hope everyone have a good time of this year at SDCC!

this is a new trend, anti establishment in way..true comic book collectors show in which serious buyers have access  to quality material, such as Terry's show...it would be wise for somebody to set up string of national shows with GA/SA dealer input or possible partial ownership and create a new convention circuit

10 hours ago, Mmehdy said:

.true comic book collectors show in which serious buyers have access  to quality material, such as Terry's show...it would be wise for somebody to set up string of national shows with GA/SA dealer input or possible partial ownership and create a new convention circuit

Would one recommend these be 2 day or 1 day comic-centric shows thus allowing more mom and pop dealers (that have a day job) :blush: to afford 6' or 8' vendor's tables?

fyi, Fan Boy and I are about the same age. Both of us visited SDCC for the 1st time in 1989 during the Batman movie, Jack Nicholson's Joker, <3 and Prince Bat-soundtrack explosion that summer. Yes, there was a plethora of GA and SA in 1989 (minus 47 years would bring us back to GA 1942 comics and availability). Current year minus introduction of Kirby's 4th World in Oct, 1970 (and current New Gods/Darkseid movie hype) means a 47 year spread of back issues and availability.

John called me about this show. I don’t set up at sdcc any longer so wasn’t sure if it logistically made sense. But I am considering going a weekend early and check it out. Who knows. 

I really like the idea of this show and applaud John Dolmayan for putting it together. It's both an alternative to SD and also kind of the bonus early, early preview night. I always thought this would spring up actually in San Diego (either at an alternative site during the show or the weekend before) but LA makes tons of sense. Especially in conjunction with the art show which is also super cool.

What I'd like to see is the Torpedoshow expand and broaden out. Right now with the focus on the best stuff (the flier promotes "over $30 million in investment grade comics" so that's where the focus is right now, naturally) it's more an alternative for those who can't make it to San Diego vs a return to the kind of broad material available 20 or 30 years ago.

This sounds like a great idea . I certainly plan on attending  and will try to drag a friend of mine who had wanted to go with me to a con.  He is much more of a Horror and especially King Kong fan.  If only 17 dealers with 2 tables each  this sounds very small and forcing the sellers to limit supply,  but certainly worth the drive down the 405

Even though I live in Los Angeles and have been recollecting  comics since 1985  I have only been to SDCC  twice, and the second time was long ago.  Just too big and expensive for my taste. I doubt that I will ever go again

I have been to the Schwartz con many times over the years both as a vendor as well a buyer.  Picking up decent Silver age DC's  for a buck each.