• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

[CLOSED] Terrific 5 cgc 2.0 universal

20 posts in this topic

I think I owned that copy back in the early 1990s. Got it at San Diego con for $70, just when people were warming up to the great previously unnoticed GA books from Gerber’s photo journal.  It was up on someone’s display with 2/3 of the cover hidden but it didn’t escape me! 

27 minutes ago, Microbia said:

I think I owned that copy back in the early 1990s. Got it at San Diego con for $70, just when people were warming up to the great previously unnoticed GA books from Gerber’s photo journal.  It was up on someone’s display with 2/3 of the cover hidden but it didn’t escape me! 

Shoulda held onto it!

1 hour ago, TheFifthHorseman said:

Shoulda held onto it!

It made for good publicity when I sold it off among the string of CBG telephone “Continental Comics“ auctions held in mid 1990s.  Before internet and third-party grading, we had a loyal following on these.  These days lots of “what if’s” come to mind… 

6 minutes ago, Microbia said:

It made for good publicity when I sold it off among the string of CBG telephone “Continental Comics“ auctions held in mid 1990s.  Before internet and third-party grading, we had a loyal following on these.  These days lots of “what if’s” come to mind… 

Telephone auction from the 90s!  Holy smokes Shay, rocking it old school, hahahaha.  Dang, I barely remember those existed, stuff must have been so cheap!

1 hour ago, Microbia said:

I bought a few things from those auctions, and sold one or two books through them as well. Fun times!

Had lots of regrets, biggest being letting the mile-high / Overstreet Catman 28 go for $2,000, flipped from $200, would grade at least 9.6 today. Don't think that book has seen the light of day since then.

13 minutes ago, Microbia said:

Had lots of regrets, biggest being letting the mile-high / Overstreet Catman 28 go for $2,000, flipped from $200, would grade at least 9.6 today. Don't think that book has seen the light of day since then.

Big number for the time!  But yes, that would be tasty!

1 hour ago, rjpb said:

I bought a few things from those auctions, and sold one or two books through them as well. Fun times!

Fun times indeed. Alwayed looked forward to CBG then. In addition to Continental, there was also a kid (at least he sounded like one when I put in a bid) ,Nick Cronfield I think. He would have a phone auction every now and then. 

4 hours ago, Microbia said:

Loved those auctions Shay, both for buying and selling

4 hours ago, Microbia said:

Edited by misterrmystery
Mistake

2 hours ago, Microbia said:

Reminds me of the Crippen copy of 28 that I sold way too cheap. Can't afford to buy it back now.:tonofbricks:

2 hours ago, CCComics said:

Fun times indeed. Alwayed looked forward to CBG then. In addition to Continental, there was also a kid (at least he sounded like one when I put in a bid) ,Nick Cronfield I think. He would have a phone auction every now and then. 

Yes, Nick...RIP. He always had the blazing golden age wall ads in CBG and OSPG. 

5 hours ago, Primetime said:

Yes, Nick...RIP. He always had the blazing golden age wall ads in CBG and OSPG. 

Wow, didn’t know he passed. At that time he was only like 20 years old and I remember he did have some personal issues. 

On 5/25/2018 at 1:09 PM, Microbia said:

The catman 28 mile high is owned by a boardie. He showed it to me a few years ago. Nm copy for sure. 

1 hour ago, G.A.tor said:

The catman 28 mile high is owned by a boardie. He showed it to me a few years ago. Nm copy for sure. 

I remember that Catman 28 among many other Mile Highs we purchased from that collection.  What a gorgeous book!

i also recall the look of excitement when you brought that Terrific 5 back from San Diego.  I had never seen that cover before and always wanted to own one ever since.

I also was unaware that Nick Kronfeld passed away.   I remember talking to Nick about once a week back in the 90s - very sad.  When I looked online, it appears he passed quite a while ago.  I wish I knew more about his struggles.