• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Value of cgc restored

27 posts in this topic

BDF64EE5-292D-4E2E-BDB1-ABCF4CE18C87.png.734e2691ccf351a97f33586fa09d3eaa.pngHi. I’m after some guidance. I understand how much cgc comics are worth and how to follow these, but when restored how does this affect the value? Mainly with respect to how much restoration has taken place? For example my comic JLA 1 restored to cgc 4.0. Any help and guidance would be appreciated. 

BDF64EE5-292D-4E2E-BDB1-ABCF4CE18C87.png

Edited by Bolton

For non mega keys my rule of thumb is usually about 1/2 of the equivalent blue label for a small amount of amateur resto.  This being an important book, there may be some adjustment necessary...maaayyybe 65-75%?  But it's also dependent on if its removable or not and what damage may be left behind if removed.  Kind of a dynamic equation and most folks have varying opinions on the variables.  C-1 tear seals and glue I'd imagine are not archival in nature.  Are there stains or yellowing in the repaired areas?

Edited by Mystafo

1 hour ago, Mystafo said:

For non mega keys my rule of thumb is usually about 1/2 of the equivalent blue label for a small amount of amateur resto.  This being an important book, there may be some adjustment necessary...maaayyybe 65-75%?  But it's also dependent on if its removable or not and what damage may be left behind if removed.  Kind of a dynamic equation and most folks have varying opinions on the variables.  C-1 tear seals and glue I'd imagine are not archival in nature.  Are there stains or yellowing in the repaired areas?

Not that I’d have noticed, however I am not an expert. I am interested as I’ve always been warned off of restored comics. So it depends on what restoration has occurred to the value? What is a c-1 tear? Is it significant?

C-1 means its a small amount of amateur restoration.  Professionally done resto is usually archival in nature and most times can be removed without further damage to bring the comic back to unrestored condition if so desired.  Amateur resto usually requires some further damage or revealing of unseen damage (scraping off color touch, sealing tears with acidic glue or tape leaving stains and paper degradation, etc.)

Edited by Mystafo

44 minutes ago, Bolton said:

So would it be worth doing so and re-grade or is there no real way to know and it’s just a risk?

I think if you're not an expert and you're looking for 'value', there's probably too many unknowns for you to make an investment buy.  Why invest in something you know so little about?

If you just love/want the comic to keep and display, just buy a lower grade but well presenting comic.  Like a CGC 2.5 blue label that presents well.  Or a raw comic at a good price.  You'd probably break out the restored book to display anyways.

6 hours ago, Bolton said:

Not that I’d have noticed, however I am not an expert. I am interested as I’ve always been warned off of restored comics. So it depends on what restoration has occurred to the value? What is a c-1 tear? Is it significant?

Please don't take any offense but it appears you are looking for specific, quantitative answers to your broad stroked questions. Akin to asking things like 'how much does lunch cost'. The only way to answer your questions is 'it depends'. There is no ROT for pricing restored books. Regarding the C-1 tear, you have the book in hand, you should be able to see it and judge for yourself. 'Small amount of color touch' can mean anything including multiple hits all over the cover. Removing resto can often hurt the eye appeal and value of the book in a negative way. This is a low grade book with a whole lot of creasing going on. I wouldn't mess with it.

Thank you for everyone’s help. I just wanted the book as I it’s a key with a nice cover and that’s all. It’s not an investment piece or anything, just something cool to look at and appreciate. I just wanted a bit more info on restored comics as from your responses it’s rather obvious that I have little experience in the area.

thanks again

Thank you. What sort of ball park value does this have? As I’m now considering selling it to get a blue label as mentioned above! Someone has offered me an amount and I want to make sure I’m not getting ripped of and there’s no on eBay to compare!

apart from the creasing it looks in good shape

Edited by Bolton

22 hours ago, Bolton said:

Thank you. What sort of ball park value does this have? As I’m now considering selling it to get a blue label as mentioned above! Someone has offered me an amount and I want to make sure I’m not getting ripped of and there’s no on eBay to compare!

apart from the creasing it looks in good shape

Post the picture and graders notes

1 hour ago, Bolton said:

I don’t have access to the grading notes

Why, anybody can buy the grader's notes ? We've gone full circle here with you still asking the same question. You are not getting any specific answers because we can't give it to you. If anybody does offer an answer, I guarantee you they are guessing. To truly ascertain value, put it in auction. :baiting:

Edited by Bomber-Bob

12 hours ago, Bomber-Bob said:

You are not getting any specific answers because we can't give it to you.

Why not? GPA has a ton of data for restored sales of that issue. Pricing that book is very easy. Get a GPA subscription.

5 minutes ago, Electron said:

Why not? GPA has a ton of data for restored sales of that issue. Pricing that book is very easy. Get a GPA subscription.

There is data but it's not comparing apples to apples. You would need data specific to C-1, with specifically the same resto. If GPA has a 4.0 C-1 with glue on spine is that the same equivalent value as CT and tear seals ? For me it's not. I think most buyers of resto books are looking for resto removal candidates. Even comparing CT to CT data is difficult because not all CT is created equal. Of course, the OP wants all the information from us for free, doesn't even want to spend a few bucks on the grader's notes so I agree with your inference on buying a subscription. 

11 minutes ago, Bomber-Bob said:

There is data but it's not comparing apples to apples. You would need data specific to C-1, with specifically the same resto. If GPA has a 4.0 C-1 with glue on spine is that the same equivalent value as CT and tear seals ? For me it's not. I think most buyers of resto books are looking for resto removal candidates. Even comparing CT to CT data is difficult because not all CT is created equal. Of course, the OP wants all the information from us for free, doesn't even want to spend a few bucks on the grader's notes so I agree with your inference on buying a subscription. 

True. You probably won't find the exact same 4.0 C-1,but there is more than enough data to make an educated valuation. I do it all the time when I'm buying/selling restored books, and there usually isn't anywhere near the data that there is on this JLA 1. Many of us value potential buys of blue label books using gpa and the data rarely lines up on those either. So many factors. Color saturation,gloss,page quality, cover registration,etc. One blue label 4.0 can look vastly different from another. But we do make an educated valuation regardless of if there is an identical sale. Same holds true here.

1 hour ago, Electron said:
1 hour ago, Bomber-Bob said:

True. You probably won't find the exact same 4.0 C-1,but there is more than enough data to make an educated valuation. I do it all the time when I'm buying/selling restored books, and there usually isn't anywhere near the data that there is on this JLA 1. Many of us value potential buys of blue label books using gpa and the data rarely lines up on those either. So many factors. Color saturation,gloss,page quality, cover registration,etc. One blue label 4.0 can look vastly different from another. But we do make an educated valuation regardless of if there is an identical sale. Same holds true here.

but one would assume you have the requisite knowledge and experience to make a reasonable estimate of both price and type/quality of restoration. And those skills have value, as does GPA and the graders notes.  And here we have a guy who knows so little that he wants get advice for free from people without knowing how to get notes, without realizing he should post a pic (at minimum) before asking.  The odds are that the notes will mean very little to him and that he is looking for free financial advice because he's not willing to put the time and money into learning.  I agree he should just auction it, or at minimum post it on ebay at a high price and see what kind of offers he gets.

12 minutes ago, revat said:

but one would assume you have the requisite knowledge and experience to make a reasonable estimate of both price and type/quality of restoration. And those skills have value, as does GPA and the graders notes.  And here we have a guy who knows so little that he wants get advice for free from people without knowing how to get notes, without realizing he should post a pic (at minimum) before asking.  The odds are that the notes will mean very little to him and that he is looking for free financial advice because he's not willing to put the time and money into learning.  I agree he should just auction it, or at minimum post it on ebay at a high price and see what kind of offers he gets.

He hasn't responded to my suggestion that he should get a GPA account,so we don't know yet if he's not willing to put the time/money into learning. I believe in trying to help those who are interested in the hobby learn more for obvious reasons. However if he is just trying to get free info for a quick sale, then good luck with all of that around here! lol

Thank you for your reply’s, some rather belligerent. I have purchased access to previous values etc with an account for a while. The data for restored issues remains limited. As a result I have asked for help here. I know issues with variable levels of repair etc. From the picture I’ve put of mine as the front cover is nice albeit somewhat folded with little visual obviousness to restoration etc whether that would make its value different from another 4 restored with same c-1 tear etc with a less presentable face... 

i will be much more hesitant to post in the future- despite this being the newbie area...

Edited by Bolton